Boeheim: Unsportsmanlike Behavior? | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim: Unsportsmanlike Behavior?

that's so stupid. Look, we all know that the OOC is a warm-up to the big east schedule - that's what really counts. So, he only has so many games, so many minutes for this team, with 4 new starters and 2 new players to gel.

Plus, the way the walk-ons have been playing, I don't blame him keeping the starters in :)

JB has said that his rule in these situations is to not put in the walk-ons until the opponent does it first. You don't want to embarrass the other team further by having your scrubs go up against the opponents' starters.

You can't have it both ways. If a coach puts in his walk-ons with 10 mins left, it looks bad in its own way.

that's so stupid. Look, we all know that the OOC is a warm-up to the big east schedule - that's what really counts. So, he only has so many games, so many minutes for this team, with 4 new starters and 2 new players to gel.

Plus, the way the walk-ons have been playing, I don't blame him keeping the starters in :)

You have to include the fact that many of these school get a HUGE payday for showing up and being a "punching bag". Often, the money they get for it covers their expenses for the year. These teams know their role and they are not complaining. These fellas who got cut from the JV team in middle school have to have something to complain about.

Now if we were UK, he would be applauding us because you got to do what you you got to do when all of your practices are being filmed and telecast. They understand that we got to put on the show so that we can keep the money train running through recruits back doors. Basketball would not be basketball without em.

JB has said that his rule in these situations is to not put in the walk-ons until the opponent does it first. You don't want to embarrass the other team further by having your scrubs go up against the opponents' starters.

You can't have it both ways. If a coach puts in his walk-ons with 10 mins left, it looks bad in its own way.

Had this exact conversation at the time. I said it would be a slap in the face to put them in too early. Said to watch for them at the 3 minute mark.

I don't think its about it being a slap in the face to the other team to bring them in early, or about it being poor sportsmanship to bring them in not early enough. This game and several others on the schedule were played for one purpose and one purpose only and it isn't to get the walk ons game minutes. They are played to give the players that will help the team during the conference season game minutes and give them the opportunity to work on things in a game situation playing at game speed.

If Monmouth's feelings were hurt, then they shouldn't be accepting the guarantee that comes with signing up to be the lamb being led to slaughter. Most of the last ten minutes were played with MCW, CJ or Rak on the floor and were certainly played with an alternate lineup to the starting 5 playing.

I always assumed this was the unspoken understanding among coaches - that the team with the lead calls off the dogs as soon as the losing coach capitulates.

If you ask me, JB has been substituting, mixing and matching and trying different combinations much more freely than he will when the tougher games come along. It's not that he's leaving his starters in for extended periods, it's more that there is less drop off when you get farther down the bench than in past years.

I think their coach should complain to the referees about it. Loudly.

Because that worked so well for them against Navy.

We could have reached 120 points if we didn't slow things down.

We could have reached 120 points if we didn't slow things down.

We broke 100 with 6 minutes to go. I was certain we were going to break 110 even if we had inserted the walkons at that point, then we just stopped putting the ball in the basket.

The irksome thing is that Boeheim never runs up the score! You will see Duke thrashing the Sparrows of Broken Wing U by 135 - 12, and no one says anything. I have often thought Boeheim lacked the killer instinct (which I actually like about him, most of the time). He doesn't want to grind our opponents' faces in the dust. There are times I think that trait influences the way our teams sometimes seem to let up during a decisive victory. He is extremely competitive but he is not an attack dog. That is why with 18 minutes left to go and with 70 points on the board, I predicted to my daughter that we would only reach 110. I was 2 off.

The irksome thing is that Boeheim never runs up the score! You will see Duke thrashing the Sparrows of Broken Wing U by 135 - 12, and no one says anything. I have often thought Boeheim lacked the killer instinct (which I actually like about him, most of the time). He doesn't want to grind our opponents' faces in the dust. There are times I think that trait influences the way our teams sometimes seem to let up during a decisive victory. He is extremely competitive but he is not an attack dog. That is why with 18 minutes left to go and with 70 points on the board, I predicted to my daughter that we would only reach 110. I was 2 off.

I personally don't believe there is such a thing as "running up the score" in basketball. In football, if you are up by 40 in the fourth quarter and you are throwing 30 yard passes and doing flea flickers, that is running up the score. In hoops, if you are up by 40 with 10 mins left in the game, you can't just hold the ball until the shot clock expires on each possession. You have to make an effort to score. And if you are up by 40, you are probably good enough to add to that total.

I personally don't believe there is such a thing as "running up the score" in basketball. In football, if you are up by 40 in the fourth quarter and you are throwing 30 yard passes and doing flea flickers, that is running up the score. In hoops, if you are up by 40 with 10 mins left in the game, you can't just hold the ball until the shot clock expires on each possession. You have to make an effort to score. And if you are up by 40, you are probably good enough to add to that total.

I agree. Its more insulting to a team to hold the ball and just let the shot clock run out. They could have won that game by 75 if they wanted too. You know what...play better. Thats my response to people who whine about getting the score run up against them. Its ok when college football teams beat doormats 77-17 but not ok when we win by 50.

He is extremely competitive but he is not an attack dog.

That sums it up very well.

Once victory is secured, and he has seen what he needs to from his key rotation players, he begins experimenting with unusual line-up combinations for future reference. He also seems to clear his bench and insert his walk-ons sooner than many other high-profile coaches.

Not to mention had I bought tickets for this game and made the 2 hour drive, I sure as hell would not have wanted to watch the walk-ons for 1/4 of the game, especially these walk-ons. And I'm sure the same can be said for anyone else who is not a season ticket holder.

That sums it up very well.

Once victory is secured, and he has seen what he needs to from his key rotation players, he begins experimenting with unusual line-up combinations for future reference. He also seems to clear his bench and insert his walk-ons sooner than many other high-profile coaches.
JB also seems to work somewhat predictably on how he distributes the time within the team. This was a blowout and individual amounts of time could go anywhere. Yet, as many of us predicted, it was Triche that JB had log the most time.

The thing that people who say he was running it up don't understand is that three of the guys on the floor were freshmen who are just starting out their college careers and need all the experience they can get. When we get into BE play, who knows how many minutes Cooney and Grant, and even Coleman, will get when we face stiffer competition? Gotta get them their reps right now while we know we can.

JB also seems to work somewhat predictably on how he distributes the time within the team. This was a blowout and individual amounts of time could go anywhere. Yet, as many of us predicted, it was Triche that JB had log the most time.

This season it's pretty easy to do the math and predict where the most minutes will go, even in the blowouts. There are 80 minutes for essentially three guards, so they all must play quite a bit (even MCW and Triche) every night.

I looked around at some recent scores and the top teams have been thumping people. 40 and 50 point margins.

I did think it was total bullshit though that Triche played 30 minutes and MCW 26.

In times of old, when JB put in his "back bencher" scolarship players into the game, that would suffice for "fair play" (Moookie! Mookie! Mookie!) In the new era of McD AA freshmen and the 9-man roster, JB has to put in an entire squad of walk-ons, ushers and mascots to make it "fair." Just shows you how far this program has come. No jeers from me as to how JB runs his program.-VBOF

I wanted the walk-ons in with 5:00 to go, but I didn't see it as a sportsmanship issue, rather I would like to see a walk-on get a basket.