Boeheim's Army / TBT 2024 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's Army / TBT 2024

I enjoyed it. Not suggesting that it is / was as much fun as watching actual SU sports, but it was entertaining at a time when sports options are kind of at a dearth.

I like baseball, but summer is sports no-mans-land IMO. Long stretch without much to watch, post-lacrosse / pre-football.

So the TBT was something fun to look forward to. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it at times, even with the mixed teams. Really was fun to see former players suit up again in Orange. And it helped solidify my connection to players that didn't play here long -- especially John Gillon, Chris McCullough, and Andrew White. Watching them each play for a couple of years of BA deepened the connection to guys who were here and gone in seemingly in the blink of an eye.

And some years, the expectations were higher, which was fun. Even though we stubbed our toe a couple of times, because we had the wrong composition of players for this type of tournament.

But I always looked forward to the games being on TV, because it's fun to watch 'Cuse hoops in the summer.

That article confirmed what I believed about this off-season. Coordinating BA is a massive time-commitment and a lot of effort. Belby probably worked practically a full-time job to juggle all of the logistics through the off-season, and that has to wear on you after several years.
Yup, it's tough once Hoops and Hockey ends. Not really looking forward to the Olympics when it's probably on 12 different streaming services and a six hour or more tape delay.

I will watch NBA Summer league hoops from SLC and Vegas. There's always some good players involved.

Watched a pair of games last night, in tandem with the Yankees game. Haven't paid attention to TBT up to this point prior to last night, since there isn't an SU team in the field.

In the Ohio State team's [Carmen's Crew] game against Takeover BC, there were several incidents that nearly led to altercations. That fat F*** Jared Sullinger -- who got every call against us in 2022, which was a big reason that they were able to upset us -- was pinballing people every time he was in the game, which nearly precipitated fisticuffs. A couple of the other Ohio State players initiated other things, which the refs were barely able to refuse -- reinforcing my lifelong belief that anything associated with OSU is a piece of garbage. Although in fairness, some of the chipiness was also due to OSU blowing out the opponent, so the Takeover players were butt hurt.

Both games were in Louisville, so the house was packed for the second game -- representing teams from the Cards and Wildcats. So naturally, chaos ensued and tempers ran hot.

Probably not the best look for TBT, to be honest. Marred both games.

Last edited:
It was fun to watch for a time especially with recent alumni from 2008-16 teams, but it has run its course IMO

Yeah, once we realized that the guys who did play weren't a good enough team to win it, and they started bringing in all the unaffiliated ringers, it kind of lost its appeal for me. Other teams seem to have lined up alumni teams, so it's not like we are the "big draw" anymore vs. faceless teams like "Overtime Elite".

Yeah, once we realized that the guys who did play weren't a good enough team to win it, and they started bringing in all the unaffiliated ringers, it kind of lost its appeal for me. Other teams seem to have lined up alumni teams, so it's not like we are the "big draw" anymore vs. faceless teams like "Overtime Elite".
Copycats

Tournaments bad vibes these days only 1 team gets any money from it while the rest get absolutely nothing. 3 weeks is a lot of vacation time for these guys to be taking with it being a very small chance they win.

Glad we won it one year and wish BA the best if they return next year.

I don't think many of the really good players on the best teams are playing for free anymore just for the chance to win the TBT grand prize. Boeheim Army players were getting paid to play during the most recent years.

It's only a matter of time before the TBT players demand some pay and TBT will be forced to directly pay all of the players some $ for playing. TBT must be getting paid by ESPN to make some money to keep this event going annually. TBT also get ticket sales income.

I don't think many of the really good players on the best teams are playing for free anymore just for the chance to win the TBT grand prize. Boeheim Army players were getting paid to play during the most recent years.

It's only a matter of time before the TBT players demand some pay and TBT will be forced to directly pay all of the players some $ for playing. TBT must be getting paid by ESPN to make some money to keep this event going annually. TBT also get ticket sales income.
Its on FS1/FS2 I don't think ESPN wanted it unless they could basically air it for free. Good coverage on the Fox channels but what else would they air?

Obviously BA guys weren't paid enough to do it this year. Maybe JB himself will put up the cost of getting a team into town and pick it/coach it now hes retired and out of the NCAA crosshairs. Would definitely get the fanbase interested again. Even Adam Weitsman if he wanted back in the limelight.

Its on FS1/FS2 I don't think ESPN wanted it unless they could basically air it for free. Good coverage on the Fox channels but what else would they air?

Obviously BA guys weren't paid enough to do it this year. Maybe JB himself will put up the cost of getting a team into town and pick it/coach it now hes retired and out of the NCAA crosshairs. Would definitely get the fanbase interested again. Even Adam Weitsman if he wanted back in the limelight.

Adam is the one that paid to get some of the players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom