Boehiem Ripping Chad Ford in post game | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Boehiem Ripping Chad Ford in post game

I think this changes soon. I think you'll see an age limit that will make most players have to stay two years. The new NBA Commish seems to support it as well. NBA union guys will want to protect the guys already in the league. Kind of like when the NFL changed the payscale for rookies a few years back.
I think the league has supported it for a long time. It's been the PA that's held it up. I hope they do it, and soon. I think it's better for both college and the NBA.

I have already come up with a fantastic method for avoiding the one & done situations we see all the time.

My concept is incentive based, & requires flexibility by the NCAA.

It's this simple:

• Allow NBA teams to draft a player currently in college, & let them stay in college as long as their eligibility & desire to stay remains.
  • Pay them in an interest bearing escrow account during their college time that cannot be cashed in until they complete college, & the account will incur a 50% penalty for leaving college before your Junior season. However, if they stay for the entire 4 years in college, the NBA & NCAA will reward them with a 25% bonus to the account.
  • Although drafted by an NBA team, the college draftee cannot practice or play with his team or any other NBA squad.

This is the answer, & we must institute the plan immediately !!!
I could get behind something like this.

I think the league has supported it for a long time. It's been the PA that's held it up. I hope they do it, and soon. I think it's better for both college and the NBA.

I don't think it can be changed until the next collective bargaining agreement, which would be in 2017 at the earliest.

Mantonio's idea is what the NHL draft allows. Most picks in the NHL play in junior hockey but they can elect to play college hockey and can be drafted while in school and the team that drafts retains that player's for until to 1 year after they leave college.

interesting post. This would probably mean extending the draft a round or two so teams could stash players away which would be different from the NBA which doesn't really seem to care much about the second round. Those NBA teams would lose the control they love by not having their drafted players around. They also would lose getting their drafted players into their system to learn. I think most kids who leave early and aren't drafted are those who want to make money now, regardless if they are in the NBA or not and don't mind playing overseas where they can make a good living.
I'm not sure learning the system is really all that important. It's certainly not as important as football. I think there are a number of young players in the NBA now that are reluctant to learn because they see themselves as having already "made it", whereas back in the day, when staying in college was the norm, they remained humble and learned the game from their college coach. Maybe staying in college for another year or two, knowing their team is watching and can draft over them if they don't like what they see would keep them humble. Then again, maybe knowing they have a spot in the league would make them insufferable to their college coach.

It may have extended their prime earning years, but they didn't have to wait for second contracts to make the big money. There was no rookie cap then. DC's rookie contract was one of the deals that initiated talks about starting a rookie cap. He was the 20 highest paid player in the league as a rookie, making more money than established stars like Dominique Wilkins and John Stockton.
sorry, dude, but you are wrong. Coleman made 2.1M his rookie year and was below $3M for his first three seasons. $2.1M in 1991 dollars is the equivalent of $3.7M today - well below the rookie wage for the overall #1 pick today, which starts at $4.6M and grows much more quickly than they did back then.

Ewing had it even worse - he made $1.25M on his rookie deal, the equivalent of $2.7M.

Neither one of them was paid commensurate to their value until their 8th (Coleman) and 9th (Ewing) seasons.

Professional athletes have to start getting paid as soon as possible. Anyone telling them otherwise does not have their best interests at heart.

To be fair a number of people on this board did too.

So did everybody. Post workouts and combine Ford moved him way down which was on target I assume by the feedback he was hearing and seeing.

docsu said:
It's not a popular opinion, and I didn't agree with much he said, but I'd rather have one poster like blue curtain around than 100 posters trying to rip off tee or marsh's shtick.
With regard to Marsh did you mean Schtick or stink?

yeah, and JB once said his class of Demetris Nichols, Terrence Roberts, Mookie Watkins and Louie McCroskey was the best he'd ever signed

he gave a scholarship to Greg Davis

he chose Josh Wright over Kyle Lowry & AJ Price

cherry picking is easy
On Wright vs. Lowry vs. Price: I'm not sure JB got first pick, or even second.

On Price no. But we flat out chose Wright over Lowry.

It's not a popular opinion, and I didn't agree with much he said, but I'd rather have one poster like blue curtain around than 100 posters trying to rip off tee or marsh's shtick.

For the record, I assure you that Marsh's disdain for uconn is not "schtick."

I'm not saying that JBs rant was warranted, my only point is that people treat these silly draft boards like gospel.

They're not. They're click generators that are so full of misinformation that it's crazy.

And anyone who thinks chad ford has better information on a kids draft status than boeheim, k, Williams, Calhoun etc, is just flat our wrong. These coaches can pick up a phone and get direct access to unfiltered straight information instantly.

There you have it.

So did everybody. Post workouts and combine Ford moved him way down which was on target I assume by the feedback he was hearing and seeing.
"Post workout" being the operative term. Too late for Grant, and the SU program.

If by everybody, you mean everybody on here, that's not true. I never had him that high.

At the end of the day, JB is just an old guy who doesn't understand social media / the 24 hour news cycle associated with modern technology. His mental "rules" for how reporting should work don't necessarily apply in today's society. And I'm not criticizing him for that--it is what it is, given that he's 70+ years old. Anyone paying attention could see that he's been increasingly ornery the last few years [exactly like you'd expect an old man to behave]. He's always been outspoken, and now he's got that old man sense of not caring what anybody thinks.

I don't think that combo makes him look as bad as many in this thread claim--he's a respected institution in collegiate / USA basketball, after all--it just makes him seem old and out of touch. And I don't care how many articles get published trying to make a story out of his comments on early entry, it sure hasn't seemed to impact our recruiting in recent years.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, JB is just an old guy who doesn't understand social media / the 24 hour news cycle associated with modern technology. His mental "rules" for how reporting should work don't necessarily apply in today's society. And I'm not criticizing him for that--it is what it is, given that he's 70+ years old. Anyone paying attention could see that he's been increasingly ornery the last few years [exactly like you'd expect an old man to behave]. He's always been outspoken, and now he's got that old man sense of not caring what anybody thinks.

I don't think that combo makes him look as bad as many in this thread claim--he's a respected institution in collegiate / USA basketball, after all--it just makes him seem old and out of touch. And I don't care how many articles get published trying to make a story out of his comments on early entry, it sure hasn't seemed to impact our recruiting in recent years.

Can't argue with that...it's not like it should come as a surprise to anyone that he's a little cantankerous.

sorry, dude, but you are wrong. Coleman made 2.1M his rookie year and was below $3M for his first three seasons. $2.1M in 1991 dollars is the equivalent of $3.7M today - well below the rookie wage for the overall #1 pick today, which starts at $4.6M and grows much more quickly than they did back then.

Ewing had it even worse - he made $1.25M on his rookie deal, the equivalent of $2.7M.

Neither one of them was paid commensurate to their value until their 8th (Coleman) and 9th (Ewing) seasons.

Professional athletes have to start getting paid as soon as possible. Anyone telling them otherwise does not have their best interests at heart.
How am I wrong? How was a rookie Coleman worth the 20th best salary in the league before he played a single minute? It doesn't matter what his salary is worth today. All professional athlete salaries have far surpassed inflation, so stating what it would be worth today means nothing. What matters is how it compared to league veterans back then. There's no way he was worth more than Dominique Wilkins or John Stockton.

Very fair statement. I think JB is great, but it doesn't mean everything he does is right. I have been fair in everything I have said in this thread. The problem is that discourse is dying and people want to hear/read what they feel and not have conservations. My opinions don't have to be yours, but hearing them out if they are different but fair should be more common. Instead people want cookie cutters statements.

Very fair statement. I think JB is great, but it doesn't mean everything he does is right. I have been fair in everything I have said in this thread. The problem is that discourse is dying and people want to hear/read what they feel and not have conservations. My opinions don't have to be yours, but hearing them out if they are different but fair should be more common. Instead people want cookie cutters statements.

I'm not bothered by JAB's comments themselves nearly as much as the people who feel like they have to defend everything he does because 900+ wins.

For the record, Chad Ford has updated his top 100. Guess who he's slotted in as #11 on the new rankings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom