Boise State to Big East Actually On Tap? | Syracusefan.com

Boise State to Big East Actually On Tap?

ljmilman

Scout Team
http://voices.idahostatesman.com/20...ss_state_board_education_phone_todays_meeting

Tweeted by @murphsturph, columnist for the Idaho Statesman.

I'm surprised, I never thought it'd be worth it for Boise, since they would likely be the biggest thing keeping the Big East from losing it's BCS Auto-Bid, same way they are in the MWC. But, based on the rationalizations in this article, it seems like it's close to actually happening.

The Board has given the go-ahead for Boise State's President to negotiate entry into the Big East. A copy of the Board agenda that was posted online indicated that Boise plans to enter the Big East on July 1, 2013. This way they avoid paying the MWC a $5 million exit fee.

Also of interest, the Boise Scout board is indicating that the Big East is in contact with one or more Western schools for an invitation to replace WVU. The push for a Big East Western Division is believed to be an important factor in Boise agreeing to commit to the Big East.

Last 2 sentences of the IMPACT section:

The conference change is anticipated to occur July 1, 2013. With more than one
year advance notice the University will not pay the $5,000,000 exit penalty to the
Mountain West Conference and will, instead, only forfeit the annual conference
wide distribution for the 2012 season.

They won't be here until after the 2013 season, if I read this correctly.

The Board has given the go-ahead for Boise State's President to negotiate entry into the Big East. A copy of the Board agenda that was posted online indicated that Boise plans to enter the Big East on July 1, 2013. This way they avoid paying the MWC a $5 million exit fee.

Also of interest, the Boise Scout board is indicating that the Big East is in contact with one or more Western schools for an invitation to replace WVU. The push for a Big East Western Division is believed to be an important factor in Boise agreeing to commit to the Big East.

Air Force already said they won't come until 2013 as well. I doubt Navy backs out of 8-9 games this late so I would guess they too are a 2013 entry. Hopefully SMU, HOU, UCF, and Team X can come for 2012, otherwise we are stuck for one more year.

I have read on forums for fans of those teams (UCF, SMU, HOU) that they are looking at a 2013 entry as well. I suspect we'll be playing Big East football next year in a 7 team league, 8 if BYU agrees to join.

Right but I thought Hou, SMU and SCF were coming in 2012. Those three would replace us, Pitt and WVU and keep a 8 team league. Just replacing us on the schedule would be easy. Then Boise, Navy and Air Force come for 2013 plus one more team and the Big East goes to 12.

I have read on forums for fans of those teams (UCF, SMU, HOU) that they are looking at a 2013 entry as well. I suspect we'll be playing Big East football next year in a 7 team league, 8 if BYU agrees to join.
If that happens then Syracuse should expect to head to Utah.

Boise press conf-
They spoke of how pleased they were with the 'unnamed' 6th team for the west.
Someone besides, Boise, AF, SMU, UH and whoever is the BE holdover.(Louisville will be in that division?)

Also:If they leave for 2013, saves them $5 million, and that they signed up for a TCU/UTAH/BYU MWC. Not a MWC with Fresno etc. They think they could become much more of national brand with east coast media attention and AQ.

I don't see how it'll be a 7 team conference next year. It'll either be 8 teams or 5. If WVU gets out early, Pitt and SU are gone as well.

7 team conference ???

2012 - 8 team Conference

Uconn
Rutgers
UL
UC
USF
UCF
Houston
SMU

2013 - 12 team Conference

Uconn
Rutgers
UL
UC
USF
UCF
Houston
SMU
Boise St
Air Force
Navy
Mystery Team ?? BYU-Memphis-Temple

Perhaps SU should just offer to pay Boise's exit fee in exchange for being released early to go to the ACC.

Boise press conf-
They spoke of how pleased they were with the 'unnamed' 6th team for the west. Someone besides, Boise, AF, SMU, UH and whoever is the BE holdover.(Louisville will be in that division?)
That's interesting. If it's BYU, well, that has been rumored. But I wonder if there is a wild card team that has not been mentioned. Not sure who it would be, since it would have to be (I assume) FB only.

BYU?

Am I taking crazy pills?

Why would a program that opted out of a conference that was on the verge of getting an AQ bid to go independent join this clusterfudge?

Since the MWC will be down to 5 teams and they're forming that football alliance with C-USA anyway, I'd imagine the mystery western team would come from there. If I were a UConn or Rutgers fan I'd be praying it's UNLV so they can get one decent roadtrip out of this new monstrosity.

Perhaps SU should just offer to pay Boise's exit fee in exchange for being released early to go to the ACC.

This is what i have been thinking. The BE is gonna line up there 7 new teams. Then see who would like to start in 2012 and what the early exit fee's would be. Then see if SU, Pitt and WFVU would cover the early exit fee to get them in/out early.

That's interesting. If it's BYU, well, that has been rumored. But I wonder if there is a wild card team that has not been mentioned. Not sure who it would be, since it would have to be (I assume) FB only.

Topeka School of Cosmetology

When the Boise prez said west, could just mean west of the northeast ? Is there anyone else but BYU?

Some of you people still don't get it - SU & Pitt are a packaged deal. The ACC doesn't want to schedule for a 13 team conference. If its anyone it would be WVU the one to offer Boise the $5 million as they are just 1 team needed to be out by 2012 by the B12.

Plus I would rather have SU spend the money on a practice facility than throw money down the drain.

Plus I would rather have SU spend the money on a practice facility than throw money down the drain.

I'm willing to bet an extra year in the ACC is worth more than $5M, so we'd end up ahead if we went earlier and paid someone's $5M (assuming we don't have to pay a lot more than we would of course.)

I'm willing to bet an extra year in the ACC is worth more than $5M, so we'd end up ahead if we went earlier and paid someone's $5M (assuming we don't have to pay a lot more than we would of course.)

Agree if the economics work in our favor - but I can't see the BE allowing anyone to leave early "at no extra cost". If we are in for one more year, at least it gives DM one more shot to beat UL!

Talk about oil and water. It'll be the Mormons versus The Catholics.