Bonnies Coach interviews for Pit job | Syracusefan.com

Bonnies Coach interviews for Pit job

SBU72

All Conference
Mark Schmidt has interviewed for the Pitt job. As an Alumni, I hope he doesn't succumb to the dark side. I fear that the new Bonnies President may impact his decision, but that is another story. If he were to leave Bona, are any SU assistant coaches considered noteworthy to take on a head coaching positions at low to mid level schools? There was always debate that Hopkins should take such a job to prepare for replaying JB. He even was offered the Bonnie job before Schmidt.

If Autry’s last potential offer was head assistant as NC st, i think he stays put until a p5 opportunity or a bigger job arises.

G mac? who knows.

I dont know enough about Grif

Mark Schmidt has interviewed for the Pitt job. As an Alumni, I hope he doesn't succumb to the dark side. I fear that the new Bonnies President may impact his decision, but that is another story. If he were to leave Bona, are any SU assistant coaches considered noteworthy to take on a head coaching positions at low to mid level schools? There was always debate that Hopkins should take such a job to prepare for replaying JB. He even was offered the Bonnie job before Schmidt.

I would have thought Schmidt would hold out for the BC job, being an alum.

I actually think that would be a decent hire for Pitt although I'm not looking forward to watching him pace up and down the sidelines every season.

Curious as to how you think the new president impacts his decision.

that dude ranks right up there w Crean/Marshall on my detestable sideline demeanor list

Gosh yes. Of course, I first noticed it in the game in the Dome. Then when I watched them in the A-10 tournament, I really tried to ignore it but it's impossible not to see this guy constantly pacing. Take a load off for a few Mark!

Curious as to how you think the new president impacts his decision.
The previous president, Sister Margaret Carney, was truly loved by the students and Alumni. I had heard her talk several times and was really, really impressed. Such a dynamic person. She was responsible for reviving the university including the b-ball program (got Bob Lanier involved and his name on the court) I heard the new president speak last June and was not as impressed. Not convinced his vision of the school is the same nor necessarily good but time will tell. How this possible coaching change could be a sign of how this direction is shaping up.

The previous president, Sister Margaret Carney, was truly loved by the students and Alumni. I had heard her talk several times and was really, really impressed. Such a dynamic person. She was responsible for reviving the university including the b-ball program (got Bob Lanier involved and his name on the court) I heard the new president speak last June and was not as impressed. Not convinced his vision of the school is the same nor necessarily good but time will tell. How this possible coaching change could be a sign of how this direction is shaping up.

Mostly fair, but I'm not sure that the coach possibly deciding to go from a small conference job in the middle of nowhere to a P5 job should be some sort of indictment on the president.

What happened to their talk with Oats of UB?

Mostly fair, but I'm not sure that the coach possibly deciding to go from a small conference job in the middle of nowhere to a P5 job should be some sort of indictment on the president.
One way would be the new presidents over all approach to athletics, how important is it. That could influence part of the decission. Just becasue the job is in a bigger conference, doesn't automatically make it better. (See JB staying at SU for 40 years!) As far as an "indictment", maybe not the coach leaving so much but who is hired to replace him. My impresions are that to Sister M, the students were/are the university, pushed diversity. New guy wants to elevate and emphsise Franscican ideals.

One way would be the new presidents over all approach to athletics, how important is it. That could influence part of the decission. Just becasue the job is in a bigger conference, doesn't automatically make it better. (See JB staying at SU for 40 years!) As far as an "indictment", maybe not the coach leaving so much but who is hired to replace him. My impresions are that to Sister M, the students were/are the university, pushed diversity. New guy wants to elevate and emphsise Franscican ideals.

It might not make it better, but everyone has their own priorities. If he'd rather make a couple million dollars per year versus several hundred thousand dollars, and he isn't entirely sure that the opportunity will be there again, then maybe he will take an opportunity at a less than ideal situation like Pitt.

And you're going to have to explain to me what the difference is between pushing diversity and emphasizing Franciscan ideals. I don't see a conflict between the two at all.

What Bonvaventure did you go to? Everyone hated Margaret

Hot take alert...

I don’t know why people get so flustered over “sideline demeanor.” That’s like the 8669th thing that bothered me about Jamie Dixon.

TBF Jamie Dixon bothered the sht out of me tho.

Schmidt is making $850K. He interviewed and didn't get the BC job last go round.

What Bonvaventure did you go to? Everyone hated Margaret
Not the students I talked to. Nor the Alumni. If you have a different opinion, so be it.

I threw Schmidt's name out there on March 15th in a post. He is 55 years old. Whether he takes the Pitt job or not probably doesn't have too much to do with St Bonaventure. This might be his first and last opportunity to get a job at a P5 school. Pitt can pay a lot more than SBU.
Pitt fires Kevin Stallings
Schmidt from Bonaventure coached at Robert Morris for six seasons. The Duquesne coach, Keith Dambrot, has only been there for one season but he was the head coach at Akron for a long time and coached LeBron in HS. Will Brown has connections throughout the northeast. Plus those guys you mentioned. Both have good pedigrees. I'm not sure they are going to find another Ben Howland or another Jamie Dixon, but they need to build their program back to respectability. The ACC will be playing a 20 game conference schedule. That only gives you 11 out of conference games. You need to find someone who can get you at least 8 wins in conference.

I threw Schmidt's name out there on March 15th in a post. He is 55 years old. Whether he takes the Pitt job or not probably doesn't have too much to do with St Bonaventure. This might be his first and last opportunity to get a job at a P5 school. Pitt can pay a lot more than SBU.
Pitt fires Kevin Stallings
Schmidt from Bonaventure coached at Robert Morris for six seasons. The Duquesne coach, Keith Dambrot, has only been there for one season but he was the head coach at Akron for a long time and coached LeBron in HS. Will Brown has connections throughout the northeast. Plus those guys you mentioned. Both have good pedigrees. I'm not sure they are going to find another Ben Howland or another Jamie Dixon, but they need to build their program back to respectability. The ACC will be playing a 20 game conference schedule. That only gives you 11 out of conference games. You need to find someone who can get you at least 8 wins in conference.
Actulally it does have a lot to do with St Bona. Just like being at SU had a lot to do with JB staying there. From all accounts, Schmidt loves it at Bona. He's paid between $850,000 and $900,000 which goes a very long way there. And I heard he did interview for th BC job. So its not his first chance and if he continues to do well at Bona it won't be his last chance a a P5 job. The article I read said the Pitt job is not desirable. The program is a mess, not much in the way of players, now on the bottom rung of the ACC.

If Bonnie’s coach leaves, they should look at Red. Maybe even be able to get Moyer with him.

It's interesting - I am very plugged into the Bona community, and the vibe I get is the complete opposite. The majority of people I know liked Sr. Margaret as a person, but not as a university president. There were a lot of efforts, mainly recruitment, that fell flat. She had some real swing and misses - including the international recruitment efforts to boost enrollment that were not money (which there isnt a lot of at Bonas) well spent. The vibe I have from current faculty and administrators, current students, and alumni is that the new pres (a Lemoyne guy) is very well received.