Boomer's radio show -- per ru board | Syracusefan.com

Boomer's radio show -- per ru board

Alcuse01

Scout Team
Was just over there checking out their board and saw a thread about Boomer's radio show in which he stated ESPN is behind the recent BE raid of us and pitt. This is done in order to try and crumble the big east since the BE was going to lock in with NBC on a new mega deal... One poster mentions $$ discussed with the ACC to grab the 2 teams.

I know many on this board have discussed this before, and it definitely seems possible.

I for one still don't know if this is the right move. We would have made a ton with the new deal if everyone stuck together. And that's just speaking again of $$...

I googled and it seems a couple other boards are linking to the RU thread to. I really hope discussions and investigations start to take place. I'd love to see ESPN get screwed. Espn used to report the headlines, now they create and become the headlines...

The Big East never had the bargaining power to make any megadeals. As long as the Leadership in the B.E. was basketball centered, the conference would never flourish. Now, it will become a small Catholic League... That is all...

Was just over there checking out their board and saw a thread about Boomer's radio show in which he stated ESPN is behind the recent BE raid of us and pitt. This is done in order to try and crumble the big east since the BE was going to lock in with NBC on a new mega deal... One poster mentions $$ discussed with the ACC to grab the 2 teams.

I know many on this board have discussed this before, and it definitely seems possible.

I for one still don't know if this is the right move. We would have made a ton with the new deal if everyone stuck together. And that's just speaking again of $$...

I googled and it seems a couple other boards are linking to the RU thread to. I really hope discussions and investigations start to take place. I'd love to see ESPN get screwed. Espn used to report the headlines, now they create and become the headlines...

Interesting, and certainly possible. But it was the right move, ESPN-guided or not.

The Big East never had the bargaining power to make any megadeals.

They already had a huge deal they turned down. It's been discussed on here endlessly for awhile but there is no doubt because of the factors discussed that the BE was going to get a very big deal compared to what they were used to. It was just a matter who the deal was going to be from.

Remember there were 10 applicants for ACC membership; Syracuse and Pitt were not the only Big East schools wanting out. The Big East was and is the architect of it's own destruction.

This is false.

Don't you think that if Boomer knows about this potential NBC megadeal that SU did well before him, and even after consideration of the deal it still made sense for SU to get itself into the ACC?

So what does that tell them about their value if ESPN was behind it and would rather have us and Pitt in the ACC?

They already had a huge deal they turned down. It's been discussed on here endlessly for awhile but there is no doubt because of the factors discussed that the BE was going to get a very big deal compared to what they were used to. It was just a matter who the deal was going to be from.

The ESPN offer that was turned down was for $11M a year per school. The league would have done much better than that on the open market. That's why it makes sense for ESPN to have undermined the Big East if ESPN feared losing their contract to Comcast / NBC, with the Big East their flagship college sports product.

Whereas this all is certainly possible, it just smells like a conspiracy theory to me.

First off, look where you are getting this from. The RU board who are only 1 more round of expansion away from becoming Temple of course they are going to believe this garbage. If the Big East had an idea NBC was going to pay them X dollars they would be in violation of their own K with ESPN. Who has till an exclusive window September 2012 to negoitate with the Big East Conference. Secondly, look at the source Boomer Esiason's previous employer prior CBS and CBS radio? Thats right ABC and Disney who happens to be the parent company of ESPN. Boomer was fired after 2 years with Disney because of his feud with Al Michaels I doubt Boomer thinks highly of ESPN and would like nothing more than to take shots. Also, who is he targeting with these comments RU fans worried about being left out in the cold in the expansion process and gets phone calls on the issue.

The Big East would never be able to win an anti-trust lawsuit or tortious interference lawsuit against ESPN without proving damages. The Big East will not be able to prove ESPN said ACC destroy the Big East (because all RU fans and Big East fanshave been saying is Syracuse is worthless and brings nothing to the conference) because changing conferences is not illegal and all SU and Pitt would have to say is they VOLUNTARILY decided to the leave the Big East and poof the Big East is up a creek. Also, because their are no public entitties involved except the University of Pittsburgh Freedom of Information Act requests or Sunshine Law requests will not be available until a lawsuit was filed and discovery went through, and don't think the Big East hasn't had some contact with other television networks or they wouldn't have declined the 9 yr- 1 Billion dollar offer from ESPN.

The ESPN offer that was turned down was for $11M a year per school. The league would have done much better than that on the open market. That's why it makes sense for ESPN to have undermined the Big East if ESPN feared losing their contract to Comcast / NBC, with the Big East their flagship college sports product.

I realize that, that's why I posted what I did. I just didn't feeling like writing all the information about NBC, Fox and ESPN again

Very plausible. As long as the BE was signed with ESPN they had an interest in seeing the conference succeed. Once ESPN was convinced that the BE was going to sign on with another network the BE became a competitive threat to ESPN's other big media client, the ACC. It would make sense that both the ACC and ESPN would then benefit from the BE's demise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom