Bottom line...Boeheim needs to stop recruiting all these | Syracusefan.com

Bottom line...Boeheim needs to stop recruiting all these

retro44

Living Legend
4 to 5 star recruits who are here for the zone defense first. It's like 75% of this roster is taylor made for a zone defense with very little thought on players who can break down defenses to get easy looks.

I wish somebody who sits behind the bench would take an opposing team's program and slap him upside the head and tell him" this teams roster is full of 3 star recruits who are just better offensively than yours".

What scares is that when JAB retires Hopkins carries on this philosophy.....F-ING NUTS.

retro44 said:
4 to 5 star recruits who are here for the zone defense first. It's like 75% of this roster is taylor made for a zone defense with very little thought on players who can break down defenses to get easy looks. I wish somebody who sits behind the bench would take an opposing team's program and slap him upside the head and tell him" this teams roster is full of 3 star recruits who are just better offensively than yours". What scares is that when JAB retires Hopkins carries on this philosophy...F-ING NUTS.

Retro, you're right, but this won't fly.

4 to 5 star recruits who are here for the zone defense first. It's like 75% of this roster is taylor made for a zone defense with very little thought on players who can break down defenses to get easy looks.

I wish somebody who sits behind the bench would take an opposing team's program and slap him upside the head and tell him" this teams roster is full of 3 star recruits who are just better offensively than yours".

What scares is that when JAB retires Hopkins carries on this philosophy...F-ING NUTS.
we have won about 150 games in the last 5 years. Someone needs a slap upside the head, but it isn't jb.

How dare JB recruit all these guys who have lead to 3 #1 rankings in 5 years and the third most winning program in the last 5 seasons.

Keita was very disapointing. Effort is always there but he left a lot of rebounds out there and is just so limited with his hands. Maybe next year we'll be saying we wish we had Keita but am hopeful that Obokoh will be a more serviceable back up center. He should be a much improved rebounder and with the red shirt year hopefully will learn the nuances of playing the zone. Offensively he can shoot a face up jumper which is a big improvement on the offensive end.

Cooney, Ennis, Coleman, and Patterson aren't exactly tailor-made for the zone. That's two 5 star recruits and two 4 star recruits on the current roster.

Our defense is struggling because Ennis and Cooney are not prototypical Cuse guards. CJ to some extent is a bit small as well.

Yeah, Cooney is custom fit for the perimeter of the zone - his length and athleticism

The shooting guard position is killing us

The coaching staff has recruited 4 guys in a supposedly solid class, yet somehow only one plays on a team with no depth. It's the coaching staff's job to develop these players or recruit differently. This is a complete waste, and the 6-7 guys that play are being played into the ground.

What scares is that when JAB retires Hopkins carries on this philosophy...F-ING NUTS.
I'm trying to imagine what it must be like to go around with your outlook.
There are about 350 other d1 hoops teams for you to not be scared about rooting for.

JB breaks the mold if you're elite on offense. Scoop, Ennis, Cooney, Flynn, Devendorf, GMac, etc aren't exactly ideal for zone guards.

This

How dare JB recruit all these guys who have lead to 3 #1 rankings in 5 years and the third most winning program in the last 5 seasons.
Am I wrong on this?

What was our final ranking in each year? Not no.1 would be my first guess so this no.1 talk means absolutely nothing to the nation other than the delusional fans who live in the early season results.

We need guys for the zone. It's what we do. But we also need shooters. Scorers. I see high school kids at pine grove hit more wide open jumpers than we do.

JB breaks the mold if you're elite on offense. Scoop, Ennis, Cooney, Flynn, Devendorf, GMac, etc aren't exactly ideal for zone guards.
I also pointed out a 75% threshold, so pointing out a few players mean what?

I would not put Scoop and Cooney in the elite category also.

Am I wrong on this?

What was our final ranking in each year? Not no.1 would be my first guess so this no.1 talk means absolutely nothing to the nation other than the delusional fans who live in the early season results.

If AO hadn't gone down and Fab wasn't a moron, I figure our final rankings would have been higher those years.

We haven't had good jumpshooting in a few years since 08-09 and 09-10. I guess we were ok in 11-12, but only ok.

And we are a victim of watching teams make deep open 3's because we play zone.
If Ennis Fair Cooney ever get hot together with Gbinije maybe knocking down a few it would be exciting.

Wow...

Am I wrong on this?

Yea, that Final 4 sucked last year.

If AO hadn't gone down and Fab wasn't a moron, I figure our final rankings would have been higher those years.

This much I agree with, which is precisely why I really don't care about conference tourneys anymore. We lost today, oh well, fresh start in the Dance. LGO.

we have won about 150 games in the last 5 years. Someone needs a slap upside the head, but it isn't jb.
Seriously these posts are so dumb...why even engage dash?

Our philosophy has got us SIX Top 4 seeds in a row.. SIX! Plus two one seeds over that period. That is pretty impressive.

You can't be a one seed every year. No team is.

I'm not sure why we want to change a system that has delivered those results the past 6 years.

What other program has delivered a similar string the last 6 years... Kansas, Duke.. maybe Lousiville?

Keita was very disapointing. Effort is always there but he left a lot of rebounds out there and is just so limited with his hands. Maybe next year we'll be saying we wish we had Keita but am hopeful that Obokoh will be a more serviceable back up center. He should be a much improved rebounder and with the red shirt year hopefully will learn the nuances of playing the zone. Offensively he can shoot a face up jumper which is a big improvement on the offensive end.

No chance anyone will be saying man I wish we still had Keita next year.

If this team had a shooting guard who wasn't one dimensional it would be ok. If Cooney is going to be the starter for 2 more years, he needs to be able to put the ball on the floor , drive and hit a pull up jumper. He also needs to be able to occasionally get the ball to someone for an assist. Once he gets the ball its either shoot, or nothing, just over 1 assist per game for a guard is totally unacceptable.