Bottom Line on Pitt Loss | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bottom Line on Pitt Loss

You just described Scott Shafer minus the pumping out some incredible pros.
Hiring Narduzzi is slowing destroying them.

he outcoached Dino on Saturday. Sometimes people need to take the blinders off. He dared Dino's offense to beat him over the top or with passes down the field which didn't happen. Then he just ran the ball down our throats.

I don't think Narduzzi is a great coach but he's done OK at Pitt and accomplished more than Dino at this point and like I said, he outcoached Dino on Saturday. ( it's only 1 game but it does happen)

Dungey either needs to start getting the ball down the field which will open everything else up and D needs to stop run, pretty cut and dry

he outcoached Dino on Saturday. Sometimes people need to take the blinders off. He dared Dino's offense to beat him over the top or with passes down the field which didn't happen. Then he just ran the ball down our throats.

I don't think Narduzzi is a great coach but he's done OK at Pitt and accomplished more than Dino at this point and like I said, he outcoached Dino on Saturday. ( it's only 1 game but it does happen)

Dungey either needs to start getting the ball down the field which will open everything else up and D needs to stop run, pretty cut and dry

Blinders? I don't agree with "outcoached." To me, it was more of a situation of them being able to stick with their preferred game plan / tempo due to game circumstances, than some X's and O's thing Narduzzi should get credit for.

Narduzzi didn't "coach" the refs not blowing their whistles to stop Dungey's forward progress. His coaching / game plan "daring us to beat him over the top" was substantially aided by Dungey slinging the ball like someone who's injured. His coaching didn't cause the bad snap on our last offensive drive that forced us to settle for a FG instead of 7 after we were driving. His coaching didn't help their kicker drill two 55+ yard field goals despite the downpour.

Pitt had a preferred game plan, and they got to stick with it and shorten the game because game circumstances allowed it. Had we maintained that early lead, they wouldn't have been able to play as slow, and would have had to throw more -- which would have played into our DL's hands. It is what it is, but I don't agree that Narduzzi outcoached Dino.

Tyler Boyd and Avonte Maddox say whassup.

Maddox is playing in the NFL, but we ate him alive with AET and Ish. I loved that Narduzzi thought he could win one on one matchups.

Blinders? I don't agree with "outcoached." To me, it was more of a situation of them being able to stick with their preferred game plan / tempo due to game circumstances, than some X's and O's thing Narduzzi should get credit for.

Narduzzi didn't "coach" the refs not blowing their whistles to stop Dungey's forward progress. His coaching / game plan "daring us to beat him over the top" was substantially aided by Dungey slinging the ball like someone who's injured. His coaching didn't cause the bad snap on our last offensive drive that forced us to settle for a FG instead of 7 after we were driving. His coaching didn't help their kicker drill two 55+ yard field goals despite the downpour.

Pitt had a preferred game plan, and they got to stick with it and shorten the game because game circumstances allowed it. Had we maintained that early lead, they wouldn't have been able to play as slow, and would have had to throw more -- which would have played into our DL's hands. It is what it is, but I don't agree that Narduzzi outcoached Dino.

Yep. That was the kind of game we win by 35 or lose in OT. Needed to make it 21-0 and force them to pass.

Press coverage was coaching. I say they because they did it all game.

The running the ball down our throats really didn’t happen until the 4th quarter. Up until that, the play calling had actually been pretty balanced. I don’t believe the game plan was to emphasize the run.

Last edited:
Nunn was tweeting "Beat Pitt" before the game. Now he has decommitted. :|
Who understands kids? Been tweeting pictures of himself in Cuse gear the whole recruiting season. Now he's about to commit to Miami

• We gave up a defensive score
  • We gave up two long / one-play touchdowns
  • Our offense didn't move the ball consistently
  • The weather sucked, which didn't help the bullet point above
  • Our LBs struggled against the run
  • We failed to maintain our early lead, which would have driven them out of ball control mode and forced them to play catch up and throw more
  • We settled for a long FG on our last scoring drive, when 7 would have iced the game
  • Pitt got a good spot on a key 4th down after we'd stopped them behind the LOS
  • Eric Dungey seemed "off"

There isn't any one magic bullet to why we lost. And if we could change any number of single plays throughout the game, we win it. Which is why much of the doom and gloom is unwarranted, and reeks of pessimism.

I certainly don't argue that it was a missed opportunity.

This makes sense to me

Maddox is playing in the NFL, but we ate him alive with AET and Ish. I loved that Narduzzi thought he could win one on one matchups.

Lol I think Avonte got the last laugh given where he is now. Who cares? The NFL still thought very highly of him and Pitt got the W, regardless.

Who understands kids? Been tweeting pictures of himself in Cuse gear the whole recruiting season. Now he's about to commit to Miami

I’d say he still likes us, likes the coaches, likes the players, would like to see us win, but is going somewhere else that’s a better program closer to home because he thinks it’s the better move?

TY, funny, this is an area people are afraid to go to with DINO. yes, the D was bad, we have backers that get run over or run around. We do have a solid dline this year that us keeping us in games.

That said, DINO was out coached. Its ok to go there fellas. narduzzi admitted he wemt to what they did best and wasnt gonna let our DEs beat him. Thus, he ran it over and over and we made zero adjustments against an O that telecasted the run, has a bad qb, and we stood in one place.

Agree, bc in O we took zero shots and their D fed off this. Gary Danielson said it best on sat. Throw the ball deep and completed or not, it will open up the field, but nope...

or play devito when necessary---dino helped beat himself by leaving dungey in the game, when he was way off, his passing and judgement. narduzzi is a very good coach.

Lol I think Avonte got the last laugh given where he is now. Who cares? The NFL still thought very highly of him and Pitt got the W, regardless.

He plays for my team, so I’m rooting for him now. Just amazing to me that he is so highly thought of based on my own limited time watching him vs us. Kind of like the WVU players we throttled under Marrone. Can’t erase that when I see them in NFL unis.

TY, funny, this is an area people are afraid to go to with DINO. yes, the D was bad, we have backers that get run over or run around. We do have a solid dline this year that us keeping us in games.

That said, DINO was out coached. Its ok to go there fellas. narduzzi admitted he wemt to what they did best and wasnt gonna let our DEs beat him. Thus, he ran it over and over and we made zero adjustments against an O that telecasted the run, has a bad qb, and we stood in one place.

Agree, bc in O we took zero shots and their D fed off this. Gary Danielson said it best on sat. Throw the ball deep and completed or not, it will open up the field, but nope...

This is not the definition of outcoached. If you were Pitt coach and you had a horrible QB and a SR RB and you saw the Clemson game - you’d come to the same conclusion. Especially after watching Alton and Coleman eating QB’s. Pitt is right up there with Clemson running the ball. If there was a blind spot it was here on the board (me included) missing that they were horrible in every way - except rushing the ball. And that was a weakness (we played 4 out 5 poor or mediocre rushing teams prior).

I’m 1000% certain Dino knew that was coming and thought we’d score enough to make it moot.

All we had to do was take care of the football and we would have won this game going away. Instead we give them a defensive touchdown and short fields. The fumble by Dungey (that should have been blown dead) killed us because it let them play their game.

kind of unfair saying he has accomplished more than Dino when you put it into context. the guy didn't inherit a juggernaut at Pitt, but they had gone to 7 straight bowl games before he got there, and they had pretty solid talent. Dino took over a team that had been to a whopping 3 bowl games in 14 years and was quite possibly the least talented team in the P5 minus Kansas. don't think he outcoached Dino either. a freaking trained squirrel would run every play on us down the stretch.

He plays for my team, so I’m rooting for him now. Just amazing to me that he is so highly thought of based on my own limited time watching him vs us. Kind of like the WVU players we throttled under Marrone. Can’t erase that when I see them in NFL unis.

Ha, he’s on my team too! I mean it was one game and Babers’ offense can make a lot of teams and D’s look bad at times. Maddox isn’t a guy who can go up and deal with jump balls and such to big targets. But, he’s versatile and has good instincts, change of direction, etc.

Narduzzi figured out our achilles heel and exploited it to the max. Dino had no answer. That's getting outcoached. Dino is not infallible. Our defense the past 3 years should be a clue. Cuse football is still more exciting than it's been in 10 years. Extend Dino, admit he got beat. Those two are not mutually exclusive.

Narduzzi figured out our achilles heel and exploited it to the max. Dino had no answer. That's getting outcoached. Dino is not infallible. Our defense the past 3 years should be a clue. Cuse football is still more exciting than it's been in 10 years. Extend Dino, admit he got beat. Those two are not mutually exclusive.

he did get beat, different than being outcoached. our LBs are el sucko, how hard was it for Narduzzi to figure out that our run defense stinks and our pass rush would have killed his lame QB if they threw it a lot? never said the man was infallible, he sure as hell isn't, but losing a game because your run defense is porous and your QB played like garbage doesn't mean you were outcoached.

he did get beat, different than being outcoached. our LBs are el sucko, how hard was it for Narduzzi to figure out that our run defense stinks and our pass rush would have killed his lame QB if they threw it a lot? never said the man was infallible, he sure as hell isn't, but losing a game because your run defense is porous and your QB played like garbage doesn't mean you were outcoached.

Really just a matter of semantics here, Narduzzi did a better job on Saturday, call it whatever you want.