Bottom Line On This Team | Syracusefan.com

Bottom Line On This Team

DirtDog44

Walk On
Bottom Line...we have the defense and athletes to compete in every game we will play this year. If this team can find a consistent shooter (possibly two) then we win 20-22 games. If we continue to partake in dogfights and shoot 30%-35% we win 16-17 games and miss the tournament. Wish the Maryland kid was on this squad because all we are missing is a player like him. Overall I like this team and their ability to get to the rim but at some point you'll need someone that can knock down 5-6 3's to open the game up. We don't have anyone close to that and if you want my opinion I think Howard Washington has the best looking form that could provide some outside scoring now and again.

Bottom Line...we have the defense and athletes to compete in every game we will play this year. If this team can find a consistent shooter (possibly two) then we win 20-22 games. If we continue to partake in dogfights and shoot 30%-35% we win 16-17 games and miss the tournament. Wish the Maryland kid was on this squad because all we are missing is a player like him.

People seem to forget that, if we had the Maryland kid on this squad, then there's a decent chance we likely wouldn't have the former Michigan recruit on this squad.
Nobody would trade Huerter for Tyus straight-up. Nobody.
Well, except for probably Maryland.

No doubt we could use another shooter.
Dunno if JTucks is lamenting his Dook decision or not, but he certainly would have had ample opportunity for minutes on this team.

Hindsight is always 20/20 - but since nobody has yet invented a time machine, there's not much point dwelling on it.

People seem to forget that, if we had the Maryland kid on this squad, then there's a decent chance we likely wouldn't have the former Michigan recruit on this squad.

Dunno if JTucks is lamenting his Dook decision or not, but he certainly would have had ample opportunity for minutes on this team.

Hindsight is always 20/20 - but since nobody has yet invented a time machine, there's not much point dwelling on it.
I don't think people have forgotten about the Huerter going to Maryland. If anything it's been beaten to death.

It's amazing how much better we would be with Tucker. I was watching the Kansas game thinking if we had a 3 that could shoot we would be good. We could have OB at the 4 and Howard and Battle are playing great. It would be solid assuming he could play something resembling passing defense.

It's amazing how much better we would be with Tucker. I was watching the Kansas game thinking if we had a 3 that could shoot we would be good. We could have OB at the 4 and Howard and Battle are playing great. It would be solid assuming he could play something resembling passing defense.

Pretty big assumption based on JT's reputation. I was pining for him those last couple weeks of his recruitment but I did have reservations about his character and commitment to playing defense. We really do miss his shooting ability. It will be very interesting to see how things play out in Durham.

Last edited:
Bottom Line...we have the defense and athletes to compete in every game we will play this year. If this team can find a consistent shooter (possibly two) then we win 20-22 games. If we continue to partake in dogfights and shoot 30%-35% we win 16-17 games and miss the tournament. Wish the Maryland kid was on this squad because all we are missing is a player like him. Overall I like this team and their ability to get to the rim but at some point you'll need someone that can knock down 5-6 3's to open the game up. We don't have anyone close to that and if you want my opinion I think Howard Washington has the best looking form that could provide some outside scoring now and again.

Bottom line on your post is that you have no idea what the bottom line on this team is. Nor do I, nor do even the payside posters here.

No secret that we're missing a shooter or three.

Seems a major key is how much the improved D can create transition ops that minimize our shooting woes.

I think this UConn game is going to tell us something about the toughness of this team and ability to win against a team we should beat neutral court.

Tomorrow night's game is very important to the psyche of the team. Game that SU should win. Possibly our worst game of the year last year. I thought UConn was terrible at shooting 3s then I saw the stats and SU was worse!!! The main problem this team has is that there are only 3 threats on the court on offense for SU at any given time. Starting lineup has Chukwu and Moyer, neither of whom is a threat against modest defenses. Then you replace them with Dolezaj and Sidibe. I love Marek's hustle but he is not an offensive threat at this point in time. Sidibe at times has shown some offensive prowess but no way can you count on him for much scoring. Then when you replace either Howard or Battle with Washington, there are only 2 proven scorers on the court. Defense, defense, defense!!!

Battle can hit all day any day from anywhere sees fit

Pretty big assumption based on JT's reputation. I was pining for him those last couple weeks of his recruitment but I did have reservations about his character and commitment to playing defense. We really do miss his shooting ability. It will be very interesting to see how things play out in Durham.
I agree big assumption. That is why I pointed it out in the post. He won’t play and will transfer. It’s a shame.

His shot doesn't look great this year.
meh . . . one bad half can wreak havoc on a small sample size. he came into the kansas game shooting .367 from three then went 0-6 in the first half. 2nd half he was 2-5.

Do we even know if Tucker can play? Plenty of hyped recruits don't live up to their credentials. I'm not sure I understand why we think he was definitely a plug and play great shooter.

meh . . . one bad half can wreak havoc on a small sample size. he came into the kansas game shooting .367 from three then went 0-6 in the first half. 2nd half he was 2-5.
Yeah, but the stroke itself is pretty fugly. If it works for him great, but it's not a form that you'd want anyone teaching your son.

Do we even know if Tucker can play? Plenty of hyped recruits don't live up to their credentials. I'm not sure I understand why we think he was definitely a plug and play great shooter.
He is a good shooter. If you watch his high school games shooting is what he does best. Defense and rebounding not as well.

Yeah, but the stroke itself is pretty fugly. If it works for him great, but it's not a form that you'd want anyone teaching your son.
he's clearly not a sharpshooter, at least by my definition of the term, but he's pretty clearly a solid mid-30s shooter. he shot .367 last year and was .367 going into the kansas game. my guess is that bad half will even out over time and he'll regress back to that mean.

he's clearly not a sharpshooter, at least by my definition of the term, but he's pretty clearly a solid mid-30s shooter. he shot .367 last year and was .367 going into the kansas game. my guess is that bad half will even out over time and he'll regress back to that mean.

So, by your standards, none of the following SU players was a sharpshooter from 3:
(career 3pt % at Syracuse)

Devo - 37.8%
Shump - 37.8%
Andy Rautins - 37.4%
Southy - 37.1%
Hop - 37.0%
(Tyus 36.8)
McCorkle 36.5%
Scoop! 36.5%
Burgan - 35.9%
DNic - 35.8%
GMac - 35.4%
Ennis - 35.3%
Mali - 35.3%
Dion - 34.9%

People act like if you don't shoot 40% or better from 3, you suck. :rolleyes:
That's not remotely the truth.

So, by your standards, none of the following SU players was a sharpshooter from 3:

Devo - 37.8%
Shump - 37.8%
Andy Rautins - 37.4%
Southy - 37.1%
Hop - 37.0%
(Tyus 36.8)
McCorkle 36.5%
Scoop! 36.5%
Burgan - 35.9%
DNic - 35.8%
GMac - 35.4%
Ennis - 35.3%
Mali - 35.3%
Dion - 34.9%

Guess that means our only good 3pt shooter was AWIII?

Guess that means our only good 3pt shooter was AWIII?

Greg Monroe the GOAT of 3's at Cuse. Rounded to nearest % he shot 44%. :cool:
Of course, it was a closer line back then too, and they didn't take as many, so they weren't guarded and gameplanned for and against like they are today.

Here's our Top Ten, courtesy of Orangehoops.org:
We had #3 Gillon, #6 AWIII, and #7 Rico all on last year's team.

Top Career 3 Point Percentage

Name
Seasons G 3FGPct 3FG 3FGA
Greg Monroe 1984-85-86-87 130 43.89% 79 180
Matt Roe 1987-88-89 86 43.32% 159 367
John Gillon 2017 34 41.86% 54 129
Wesley Johnson 2010 35 41.46% 51 123
Earl Duncan 1988 35 41.27% 26 63
Andrew White III 2017 34 40.29% 112 278
Tyler Lydon 2016-17 71 40.00% 98 245
Marius Janulis 1995-96-97-98 114 39.92% 190 476
Mookie Jones 2009-10-11-12 46 39.68% 50 126
John Wallace 1993-94-95-96 127 39.05% 41 105

Devo - 37.8%
Shump - 37.8%
Andy Rautins - 37.4%
Southy - 37.1%
Hop - 37.0%
(Tyus 36.8)
McCorkle 36.5%
Scoop! 36.5%
Burgan - 35.9%
DNic - 35.8%
GMac - 35.4%
Ennis - 35.3%
Mali - 35.3%
Dion - 34.9%

Hes shooting 31% now. This was a concern when discussing him turning into "the guy" and more volume. Look at Fair's three point stats through his career.

Greg Monroe the GOAT of 3's at Cuse. Rounded to nearest % he shot 44%. :cool:
Of course, it was a closer line back then too, and they didn't take as many, so they weren't guarded and gameplanned for and against like they are today.

Here's our Top Ten, courtesy of Orangehoops.org:
We had #3 Gillon, #6 AWIII, and #7 Rico all on last year's team.
That's so sad to hear...did we even score any points last year that weren't threes!!!

My concern with Battles three point shot is his hitch looks even more pronounced this year than last. Last year he was the fourth option and was basically a catch and shoot guy. This year he’s the number one guy on the scouting report and isn’t seeing as many open looks so it’s no surprise his percentage may decrease.

Frank has better mechanics than Battle on his jumper IMO.

Bottom line is we need both of them at 35 percent or better from 3 to beat good teams and keep the defense honest.

in all seriousness, though, my own rule of thumb for a sharpshooter is someone who takes an average of 5 or more 3 pointers per game and hits on 38% or better
35 to 37% i consider to be solid
33-34% is ok
anything less than that & you should not be taking 5 or more a game.

and we've had a lot more sharpshooters than those you've listed, because i'd go season at a time rather than career. that way even mcnamara had a season that qualifies as sharpshooter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom