Bowls have gotten out of control | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bowls have gotten out of control

Of the 44 bowls, I've never heard of 25 of them. The Jimmy Kimmel Bowl? The Cricket Celebration Bowl? Why is a bowl named after Jimmy Kimmel... and why does it feature a Power-Five team?

And is the Cricket Celebration Bowl celebrating small chirpy insects ... or a Commonwealth sport that no one in the U.S understands?

This is a rare occasion when I have to disagree with you.

I tend to view the college bowls in the same light as the proliferation of early-season basketball tourneys. These games provide intriguing match-ups of teams that would otherwise not play each other. But other than their most loyal fans. who in the college basketball world really cares about games in the Lanky Wells Classic, Longwood MTE, or the Lake Erie Challenge (which like the bowl games you cite, have obscure names)?

I agree the Bowls are the best part of the season. The expanded playoff to 12 teams is going to kill those games as the corporate sponsors and advertisers will bolt the bowl games and funnel the money into the playoff games where people actually watch and where the eyeballs are. Business 101

My post had nothing to do with the enjoyment of watching bowl games and unique match-ups, just where the sport is headed. Which is an expanded playoff and the Duke's Mayo Bowl (and bowls like that) dying overnight!

I really think Bowl games should be at the end of Spring ball. Fans get an actual game vs the made up Spring games we see. It gives fans time to plan out their vacation to the Bowl site vs giving them only 3 weeks. Players and coaches opt out of the Bowls currently. That won't be the case in the Spring. It keeps CFB in the news August through April.

Oh just admit you thought you could get some advice for those morning issues.

But how many fans to Toledo and MTSU really have? Are those fans going to be engaged in other conference bowls? Seems eyes on the TVs would diminish greatly outside of the P5. That being said, serious question and I'm too lazy to look it up myself but how many bowls don't involve the P5? Maybe it's not as many as I think.
15 total, 14 are before the first bowl with a P5 participant.

Reactions: cto
15 total, 14 are before the first bowl with a P5 participant.
Wow that's alot more than I even thought. Figured maybe 6 or 7. 15 is like 1/3 of all bowl games. Do they fill the stadiums? What are the ratings on those games? Does anyone make a profit? Seems like there is definitely a large amount of excess.

I really think Bowl games should be at the end of Spring ball. Fans get an actual game vs the made up Spring games we see. It gives fans time to plan out their vacation to the Bowl site vs giving them only 3 weeks. Players and coaches opt out of the Bowls currently. That won't be the case in the Spring. It keeps CFB in the news August through April.

Yeah, and roughly 25% of the student-athletes who achieved the results that led to a bowl game, would be ineligible to play in said bowl game.

Brilliant!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, and roughly 25% of the student-athletes who achieved the results that led to a bowl game, would be ineligible to play in said bowl game.

Brilliant!! :rolleyes:

It would screw the SRs. It would be like 15% of the squad. But they would still play in Bowls in their careers. And they get to go home for the holidays vs staying after classes are over for another 3 weeks on campus. It gives them a life.

It would screw the SRs. It would be like 15% of the squad. But they would still play in Bowls in their careers. And they get to go home for the holidays vs staying after classes are over for another 3 weeks on campus. It gives them a life.

Unless you're a senior at Syracuse and you qualify for 1 bowl game every 5 years.

Sorry Dungey, no Camping World Bowl for you.

Wow that's alot more than I even thought. Figured maybe 6 or 7. 15 is like 1/3 of all bowl games. Do they fill the stadiums? What are the ratings on those games? Does anyone make a profit? Seems like there is definitely a large amount of excess.
No and the P5 teams don't usually fill non-NY6 bowls, either. That said, Clemson usually sells its allotment of tickets and then asks for more.

There is only one way to somehow salvage any of these bowl games and that is to have them be first. Make them "KICKOFF CLASSICS" and have them be Week 1 of the regular season and hold them in late August/early September. Have them be special neutral site games to open the year and have fun competitive match-ups then.

There is only one way to somehow salvage any of these bowl games and that is to have them be first. Make them "KICKOFF CLASSICS" and have them be Week 1 of the regular season and hold them in late August/early September. Have them be special neutral site games to open the year and have fun competitive match-ups then.
There are 4 or 5 post season basketball tournaments. If there are sponsors wanting to fund a bowl game, who is it hurting?

That works too for the teams and fans but not TV. You won't see as many Bowls if they are confined to Week 0. TV pays for the Bowls because they are spread out over a month. You can pull that off in March. It is unfair to the SRs but it would be like qualifying for Champions League. You don't play the reward till the next season (Spring).

There are 4 or 5 post season basketball tournaments. If there are sponsors wanting to fund a bowl game, who is it hurting?
and outside of the NCAA Tournament nobody watches them. And outside of the NCAA tournament and NIT you can't get your average fan to name the others.

That works too for the teams and fans but not TV. You won't see as many Bowls if they are confined to Week 0. TV pays for the Bowls because they are spread out over a month. You can pull that off in March. It is unfair to the SRs but it would be like qualifying for Champions League. You don't play the reward till the next season (Spring).
The NFL starts the Sunday after labor day. You can start the last week of August and have a different game every night of the week if you want and space them out.

Of the 44 bowls, I've never heard of 25 of them. The Jimmy Kimmel Bowl? The Cricket Celebration Bowl? Why is a bowl named after Jimmy Kimmel... and why does it feature a Power-Five team?

And is the Cricket Celebration Bowl celebrating small chirpy insects ... or a Commonwealth sport that no one in the U.S understands?

Because he's funnier than Jimmy Fallon. Smh though it's beyond out of control.

and outside of the NCAA Tournament nobody watches them. And outside of the NCAA tournament and NIT you can't get your average fan to name the others.
Is it costing you or me or anyone else money? If companies want to spend their advertising on those things and bowls because they think it has value, where's the beef? If Myrtle Beach wants to put on a bowl because they think it will generate enough visitors to be worthwhile, what's the problem with that? I think bowls are great and want more of them. I'm going to watch Toledo/MTSU Friday and will greatly enjoy it as the first bowl of the holiday season. (Also want to watch it to see if Shafer gets named the UCONN DC during the game).

Is it costing you or me or anyone else money? If companies want to spend their advertising on those things and bowls because they think it has value, where's the beef? If Myrtle Beach wants to put on a bowl because they think it will generate enough visitors to be worthwhile, what's the problem with that? I think bowls are great and want more of them. I'm going to watch Toledo/MTSU Friday and will greatly enjoy it as the first bowl of the holiday season. (Also want to watch it to see if Shafer gets named the UCONN DC during the game).
It's not about YOU or ME, it's business! Companies WON'T want to spend their money on these games once the playoff expands they will invest their money into the playoff and do advertising there since that's where all the eyeballs will be, even more so than now with MORE playoff games taking place. There have been interviews about this with some of these bowl sponsors and their plan moving forward. They all say the same thing.

Won't happen because too many teams (in both divisions) are addicted to playing FCS teams to start the season and want a "buy" game for Week 2.

Again, why are people complaining about being able to watch more games? If you don't care about a MAC team playing a Sunbelt team, don't watch it.

I won't be watching a single bowl game - boring and meaningless. I'll have the CFB playoffs on - but in the background. Just don't care anymore unless SU is in it. Maybe I'd care if an ACC team made the playoffs. CFB is lame - massive imbalance between the haves and have nots and it's only going to worsen. The Jimmy Kimmel bowl? Really. Maybe one of the Pron sites should have a bowl - that'd be funny.

Bowls are an economic engine and are financed by advertising. A bowl is needed in the dome. Maybe every FBS team should go to a bowl at this point. If you have a meager season, you get a meager bowl. A Christmas present in every stocking.
SU should indeed have a bowl game. It could be like the old Carrier Classic, where SU is always invited and is matched up with a complete tomato can opponent.

SU should indeed have a bowl game. It could be like the old Carrier Classic, where SU is always invited and is matched up with a complete tomato can opponent.
It has the only domed stadium in the northeast. Bowls have proliferated like crazy, several in cold climates where they play outdoors, and it still hasn't dawned on them that they could have a bowl.

Like Cleveland St?