Bowls Have No Juice... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bowls Have No Juice...

The playoffs have been a debacle. the semis havent been competitive. the bcs always got it right.

What happens this year?

ND arguably played a tougher schedule than Clemson. Clemson’s extra game vs Pitt isn’t helping them in the computer that much ND beat them too. The ACC was down.

Hate to say it but given that we were Clemson’s second toughest game hands down after @ aTm the beating we took in NYC would have helped ND in the computers head to head vs Clemson. My guess is they play Bama not Clemson under the old format.

the kids sitting out hurts. we're not watching the true teams that were invited compete.

Move the season up a week, move the "BOWLS" to Week 1 of the college season. So (for example) Syracuse vs West Virgina in the CWB in Mid-August. You can set up a rotation of who goes to what bowls based on conference tie-in's with bowls. Or just do something like a Big10-ACC deal in college basketball they play in December. Each P5 conference have enough tie-in's for all schools to go. Work it out that way and this way pretty much every school is going to a "bowl" its just to open the season not close it.

Then you make Thanksgiving weekend or the week before the "FINAL WEEK" of the college football season. Start your 6 or 8 team playoff shortly after where higher seed is home team till you get to the Final 4. Do the Final 4 and Champ game at neutral sites like they are now.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Last edited:
Move the season up a week, move the "BOWLS" to Week 1 of the college season. So (for example) Syracuse vs West Virgina in the CWB in Mid-August. You can set up a rotation of who goes to what bowls based on conference tie-in's with bowls. Or just do something like a Big10-ACC deal in college basketball they play in December. Each P5 conference have enough tie-in's for all schools to go. Work it out that way and this way pretty much every school is going to a "bowl" its just to open the season not close it.

Then you make Thanksgiving weekend or the week before the "FINAL WEEK" of the college football season. Start your 6 or 8 team playoff shortly after where higher seed is home team till you get to the Final 4. Do the Final 4 and Champ game at neutral sites like they are now.

PROBLEM SOLVED!
No Problem to solve. Or more accurately, you just created problems.

No Problem to solve. Or more accurately, you just created problems.
I know what I laid out won't make everyone happy but I think it solves a lot of the issues. Keeps bowl games happy and sponsors happy as they still have their "bowl game" just at a different time of year. It essentially sends every P5 team to a bowl so not sure why they would be upset. And it lets you have your 6 or 8 team playoff. And for the vast majority of the schools the athletes are done with their season around Thanksgiving more time in class before finals. And for the kids who are going to the NFL, their season is over earlier (unless your on a team in the playoff) so time to rest and prep for the NFL Draft. To me it seems win-win but hey its just an idea

A 16 team playoff really weakens the regular season to the point that it would damage the product. It would also make the conference title games pointless since in most cases the top 2 from each P5 would be in the playoff. With an 8 team playoff and auto bids to each conference chanpion, the ACC title game becomes the first round of a 16-team playoff. If the ACC could do away with divisions and just pick the 2 best teams this would be a perfect format.

I disagree. FCS has no issue with this. If you're good, you'll win as NDSU has 7/8 years.

I know what I laid out won't make everyone happy but I think it solves a lot of the issues. Keeps bowl games happy and sponsors happy as they still have their "bowl game" just at a different time of year. It essentially sends every P5 team to a bowl so not sure why they would be upset. And it lets you have your 6 or 8 team playoff. And for the vast majority of the schools the athletes are done with their season around Thanksgiving more time in class before finals. And for the kids who are going to the NFL, their season is over earlier (unless your on a team in the playoff) so time to rest and prep for the NFL Draft. To me it seems win-win but hey its just an idea
Having it another time of year doesn't solve anything. It creates problems.
All P5 teams don't deserve them, its incentive for having a good year, it is for the players who played that year, it creates a game players could get hurt in right before the real season, coaches and players don't want that. It's an idea that doesn't solve anything. Trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Having it another time of year doesn't solve anything. It creates problems.
All P5 teams don't deserve them, its incentive for having a good year, it is for the players who played that year, it creates a game players could get hurt in right before the real season, coaches and players don't want that. It's an idea that doesn't solve anything. Trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

If you want a larger playoff you have to get rid of the Bowls in it's current format. You can't have both because then the bowls become the NIT of football the moment you add MORE teams to the playoff, and the big money sponsors will pull out of these bowl games as now you are taking the Top 8 teams away from them.

The only way is to change the entire landscape in how the bowls are viewed. Instead of it being a "postseason reward" for a good season. Use it as an opening week or two week kickoff classic type format for all of the teams to be involved in. The sponsors still get their attention, the bowls still get to be played, and you are involving the best teams in the bowl games still just in August not in December.

Expanding the playoff and keeping the Bowls the way it is now will NOT work. You have to think outside the box. You have to be forward thinking.