Bracketmatrix still has us as the 2nd 11 seed | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bracketmatrix still has us as the 2nd 11 seed

Looks like about 20-25 new brackets updated on 2/15, and we're still in that second 11 seed spot.

Yup - i quickly counted 31 of 45 for brackets done after the Louisville game. It really shouldn't change for newer brackets because teams below the bubble line lost last night.

Perhaps it's a little tighter. It's frustrating in that we could have built a safety net with one win the last 2 games -- I guess that's better than frustrating and being out.

Three letters, A.C.C. The bias we used to complain about we are now the beneficiary of.

Don't know if it's a bias or not, but being a team in the ACC has its benefits this year.

We no doubt have a horrible resume. My point is that a horrible resume of an ACC school will more than likely get the nod over the horrible resume of another school.

Maybe. There are going to be some teams outside the ACC as well below ,500 in conference that also get in.

This was published in a USA Today article on Clemson...is this completely true?

1.) Because the NCAA tournament selection committee doesn't examine league rankings in determining at-large bids.

Conference record is not supposed to be relevant -- the underlying concept is evaluation of all of your games equally. Of course if you do well or bad in conference it will influence things, but that subset record of 18 games is not supposed to be considered.

Yup - i quickly counted 31 of 45 for brackets done after the Louisville game. It really shouldn't change for newer brackets because teams below the bubble line lost last night.

Perhaps it's a little tighter. It's frustrating in that we could have built a safety net with one win the last 2 games -- I guess that's better than frustrating and being out.

Booyah! I think is the first time I have accurately interpreted that site.

I was looking at the ACC tournament, since a lot of conversation has revolved around a 2-2 finish and then do we need a win in Brooklyn?

Anyway, there's a lot of games left (duh), but going off the Ken Pom projections, we are projected to finish 10-8, in a tie for 7th with Virginia Tech. I think we can agree 10-8 is a pretty likely finish for us, no? Anyway, we lost to Virginia Tech, so that would drop us to 8th, which gives us a matchup on Wednesday at noon (someone is gonna play hooky from work for that one) against the 9 seed, which is projected to be Miami, at 9-9. Georgia Tech and Wake are projected for 8-10, so I suppose it's possible they get in there instead.

So long story short, assuming a 2-2 finish that has us squarely on the bubble entering the conference tournament, we are likely looking at a game against Miami, with Ga Tech and Wake as other possibilities. It's obviously difficult to project the bubble out that far, but I would feel reasonably confident that, presuming a 2-2 finish to the season, with a win over, say, Miami in round 1, we'd feel pretty good about landing a bid. (We'd also get a shot against the #1 seed the next day to really solidify things

I was looking at the ACC tournament, since a lot of conversation has revolved around a 2-2 finish and then do we need a win in Brooklyn?

Anyway, there's a lot of games left (duh), but going off the Ken Pom projections, we are projected to finish 10-8, in a tie for 7th with Virginia Tech. I think we can agree 10-8 is a pretty likely finish for us, no? Anyway, we lost to Virginia Tech, so that would drop us to 8th, which gives us a matchup on Wednesday at noon (someone is gonna play hooky from work for that one) against the 9 seed, which is projected to be Miami, at 9-9. Georgia Tech and Wake are projected for 8-10, so I suppose it's possible they get in there instead.

So long story short, assuming a 2-2 finish that has us squarely on the bubble entering the conference tournament, we are likely looking at a game against Miami, with Ga Tech and Wake as other possibilities. It's obviously difficult to project the bubble out that far, but I would feel reasonably confident that, presuming a 2-2 finish to the season, with a win over, say, Miami in round 1, we'd feel pretty good about landing a bid. (We'd also get a shot against the #1 seed the next day to really solidify things
Couldn't agree more - if we sweep GaTech I think 1 ACCT win would do it - mainly because that ACCT game would vs. a fellow bubble team or perhaps a team like Miami that has already lcoked a bid in.

However I think if we split with GaTech and split the Duke/Ville games - we will be in no matter what. Having wins vs. UVA, FSU and DUke/Ville would separate us from most bubble teams. Obviously I'd rather have @Louisville because that would be an elite road win

Can we just win a freaking ACCT game for crying out loud? It's incomprehensible that the last time we won a conference tourney game was the CJ Fair dunk game against G'town. For nothing else, because it's great to watch SU hoops on back-to-back days.

If we go 2-2 and then lose in the first round of the ACCT, I think it's 40/60 that we get in, at best.
Yeah I don't see this team "earning" an NCAA bid with an 18-14 record no matter how weak the bubble is.

I think people get too caught up in our game to game results and underestimate just how mediocre a lot of these bubble teams are. We are still in a good position

They also look at Syracuse in a vacuum.

or perhaps a team like Miami that has already lcoked a bid in.

Is Miami a lock? Their "big" OOC wins are Stanford and Rutgers and in the ACC they beat UNC. They have Clemson and Duke at home and away games vs Virginia, VaTech, and FSU ahead of them. They could very easily go 1-4 in those games and be 8-10, 18-12 pre-ACCT. If they beat Clemson and VaTech and finish at 9-9, 19-11 I still don't think they're a lock, I think they need to get to 10-8, 20-10 to be safe pre-ACCT.

The team closest to a lock (after the top 6) to me is VaTech, they've got a favorable schedule coming up. After they lose to Louisville this Saturday they have Clemson, Miami, and WF at home and BC away. I hope they win them all and get to 11-7, 22-8 and are safely in. That would mean SU is 5-0 vs all the other ACC bubble teams (if SU beats GTech twice) and I think that's important.

I should mention that I'm not a RPI/BPI/SOS/numbers kind of guy, I'm more of a on-the-court results kind - in other words, I might be wrong. ;) But considering SU beat Miami and considering SU has a more impressive OOC win (Monmouth) I'll be quite disappointed if their 8-10, 18-12 gets in over our 10-8, 18-13 .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom