Bracketology 1/23/13 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bracketology 1/23/13

Jerry Palm @jppalmCBS
have to be separate if all top 4 seeds RT Question: So top 3 teams in each conference can be placed in the same bracket as well?

Because look at Palm's new bracket he has Duke as a 4 and Pitt as a 5 potentially playing the 2nd round and they are the ACC #2 and ACC #3 teams. He wouldn't do that if there was a rule on it.

But with all the conferences that have 3 or 4 teams typically with all or some teams outside of the top 4 seed line - conferences like the A-10, MWC, Pac-12, SEC and ACC in some cases -- there has not been one exception in 2010, 2011, 2012 or 2013.

Something has to have changed or Palm is wrong.

True but personally id like to avoid Uconn and Cincy if at all possible just not loving either of those matchups.

I don't like Iowa State because they have very good high post shooters.

Lunardi probably gets paid a nice chunk of money for something that, as you say, anyone can do. If that's not true genius, then I don't know what is.

He gets the benefit as one of the originators.

Just remember there are two type of people that look at Lunardi:

1) Casual obervers, who just want to quickly check where their favourite team is and a few others teams. They have no interest in bracket rules / where other teams should be seeded. Some of these type get upset where their team is seeded but really cant make an argument for or against. They just come back.

2) Bracketologist types who want to form brackets and discussing who's in / seeds.

The majority of the people who look at Lundardi are still in category #1. And he still has plenty of brand equity with them. Lunardi is still viewed as an expert in the field (and his brackets are not that far off at a high level) No reason for ESPN to bring on anybody else.

Lunardi is not that well respected by group #2. They know others can do a better job... but to the casual observer that is not into "Bracketology" views these mistakes as pretty insignificant or is not capable (nor has any desire) to view them. At the end of the day this is not the target audience.

Last edited:
Some in the media are still bitching about Cuse getting placed in Albany for the East Regional as a #3 seed in 2003. Think those same people will complain if UConn gets a "near home court" in MSG as a freakin #8 seed? BTW Lunardi's bracket absolutely sucks for us. We don't want all the former BE teams in our bracket (UConn, Cincy, Nova) who are all schooled in playing against our zone. Though these placements in January are worthless.

Villanova is unlikely to stay on the 2 line IMO, the Big East schedule playing @Creighton, @Providence, @Georgetown, @Marquette, @Xavier has some losses in store for them. Cincinnati is unlikely to stay a 4 seed either when all is said and done. UConn IMO will either be a 6 seed or 11 seed. They are trick or treat depending on if somebody gives Napier help. I wouldn't mind them in our bracket, but if they weren't I wouldn't shed a tear. I just want no Kansas, Kentucky, Iowa in our bracket and for our team to stay healthy. I am already ready for the NCAA leak about lack of institutional control the Tuesday/Wednesday of the First Four from Dayton about something illegal done by Syracuse which will be rehash and JB yelling at a Marty Snyder type reporter about this all being the same crap at the same time in the year routine.

How do we know Lunardi isn't making $30K a year for his efforts? I don't think the Leader is especially known for overpaying. They are arguably selling Lunardi on the opportunity for exposure, which he can run with in his outside duties at SJU and elsewhere.

Palm's latest bracket is terrifying. Creighton as the 4 seed in the east. That is the one team I absolutely do not want to see. I have nightmares of Wraggebombs blitzing SU and knocking them out before they can get to the Final Four.
Florida doesn't look like fun to me in Alsacs bracket. Especially if they get Chris Walker eligible.

Some in the media are still bitching about Cuse getting placed in Albany for the East Regional as a #3 seed in 2003. Think those same people will complain if UConn gets a "near home court" in MSG as a freakin #8 seed? BTW Lunardi's bracket absolutely sucks for us. We don't want all the former BE teams in our bracket (UConn, Cincy, Nova) who are all schooled in playing against our zone. Though these placements in January are worthless.
The NCAA home games for the RTP teams in Greensboro and Charlotte every year nullify any whining about Albany , Buffalo whatever. Truth be known when 30 years ago Western NYers didn't really like us. St Bonaventure was their team, and it was our biggest rival .

You know the committee is going to match us up against an old BE rival, it's inevitable. They want to produce entertaining matchups for ratings, it's no coincidence some of the matchups that get set. Honestly I really don't want to see any old BE teams. Give me Florida, or Kentucky

Florida doesn't look like fun to me in Alsacs bracket. Especially if they get Chris Walker eligible.
Seems like we've had our way with Florida the last few times we played them.

You know the committee is going to match us up against an old BE rival, it's inevitable. They want to produce entertaining matchups for ratings, it's no coincidence some of the matchups that get set. Honestly I really don't want to see any old BE teams. Give me Florida, or Kentucky

I really think there is too much going on for them to worry too much about that. There are so many different bracketing procedures they need to worry about, and there are so many teams and possible compelling matchups that will come up organically i don't think its often too much of an issue. We might get matched up with one as the 1 in the east because there might be a lot of old BE teams on the 8/9 line, but that would be it.

For the top 3 team thing; this is directly from the NCAA website

Each of the first three teams selected from a
conference shall be placed in different
regions.

Last edited:
I really think there is too much going on for them to worry too much about that. There are so many different bracketing procedures they need to worry about, and there are so many teams and possible compelling matchups that will come up organically i don't think its often too much of an issue. We might get matched up with one as the 1 in the east because there might be a lot of old BE teams on the 8/9 line, but that would be it.

For the top 3 team thing; this is directly from the NCAA website

i disagree, i think the committee will go out of their way to match us up with uconn as early as possible. or georgetown if they make it. those are the only 2 teams i see them doing it with.

i disagree, i think the committee will go out of their way to match us up with uconn as early as possible. or georgetown if they make it. those are the only 2 teams i see them doing it with.

I just don't think they can, really. They have a million things going on when they are filling out the bracket. Obviously we look at it from an SU centered standpoint, but they aren't necessarily gonna do that.

Of course watch UConn be the #8 in our region and make me look like an idiot.

Knicks411 said:
I just don't think they can, really. They have a million things going on when they are filling out the bracket. Obviously we look at it from an SU centered standpoint, but they aren't necessarily gonna do that. Of course watch UConn be the #8 in our region and make me look like an idiot.

But every year you always see potential matchups that have storylines, like a coach going against his former team or something and you'll hear bilas or digger on selection Sunday say "that's no accident the committee knew what they were doing." I'm convinced they're gonna put Uconn in our region.

But every year you always see potential matchups that have storylines, like a coach going against his former team or something and you'll hear bilas or digger on selection Sunday say "that's no accident the committee knew what they were doing." I'm convinced they're gonna put Uconn in our region.

That's true, but there are so many different games that could be made with all the teams that it's impossible to not have some juicy matchups no matter what you do.

I wouldn't think Digger has any idea what goes on in the room when the field is seeded and bracketed. I don't think Digger has any idea about much of anything. All the people who have participated in the mock exercises have said they don't have time to think about stuff like that. (Or # of teams from a conf, etc). Mayeb they are all lying, but i doubt it

Palm's latest bracket is terrifying. Creighton as the 4 seed in the east. That is the one team I absolutely do not want to see. I have nightmares of Wraggebombs blitzing SU and knocking them out before they can get to the Final Four.

One thing he is spot on about. He has Duke as a 5 seed and still playing in Raleigh. The committee will put them there no matter what.

edit: His bracket was updated today with Michigan/Duke as the 4/5 game in the East
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom