Bracketology 1/5/15 | Syracusefan.com

Bracketology 1/5/15

CBS/Turner would love a Michigan State-Syracuse First Four matchup in Dayton. Two top 10 all-time programs would get a good rating on the Tuesday/Wednesday before the tournament. At this point any NCAA tournament spot would meet my expectations for a successful season this year. I would love to just make the tournament outright on Selection Sunday, but playing in the First Four wouldn't bother me this year.

I like the play-in game. Sign me up for it. The teams that advance out of those games have a big advantage in their next game, having played and gotten acclimated. Our young team would benefit.

Just beat the teams were supposed to beat (and have no bad losses) and maybe pull 1 upset of the Top Dogs in the conference this year, and we'll be in and fine.

Play in game against michigsn state might be the best play in game in tournament history

i dont think there is any way it could ever be topped. not likely two perennial power houses will both be in something like that.

Play in games not involving the lowest 8 teams are the dumbest and most unfair thing ever.

I agree but I believe its because the lowest seeded teams are generally auto bids and they want them to have a guaranteed "2nd round" game for winning the conference. The play-ins are the last at large teams in are they not?

The revenge tour.

Imagine that playin really happened and then the winner went on a run. The 6 and 3 team coaches in that bracket would be pretty unhappy. I can here it already. "They put two underachieving powerhouse programs in the playin just to make sure we played the hotter one!"

I agree but I believe its because the lowest seeded teams are generally auto bids and they want them to have a guaranteed "2nd round" game for winning the conference. The play-ins are the last at large teams in are they not?

Two play in games between 16 seeds.

Two play in games between "bubble teams"

OK so its the 4 lowest rated auto bids and the 4 lowest rated at large bids. That actually makes some sense if they are trying to be fair to those two groups.

OK so its the 4 lowest rated auto bids and the 4 lowest rated at large bids. That actually makes some sense if they are trying to be fair to those two groups.

Last year was NCState vs Xavier (12), Iowa vs Tennessee (11), UAlbany vs Mt St Mary's (16), and Cal Poly vs Texas Southern (16).

Yes. They're also trying to be fair to a number of one- or two-bid leagues that are a step up from the four that are usually in the Dayton play-in round trying to be a #16. It's often been said that if a Power conference team with a losing record somehow managed to win their tournament, they'd end up in one of the #16 games.

I understand the rationale of not wanting to have 4 rounds of 16 vs 17 while trying to give low conf winners the chance for a "2nd round" game. the flip side is that they are costing those teams real potential wins.

if I was a fan of a small time team that made the tourney, I'd rather have a shot at winning against a similar team then being cannon fodder for a big boy (which will happen in the next round with a W)

Hoo's That said:
Yes. They're also trying to be fair to a number of one- or two-bid leagues that are a step up from the four that are usually in the Dayton play-in round trying to be a #16. It's often been said that if a Power conference team with a losing record somehow managed to win their tournament, they'd end up in one of the #16 games.

Fair? Fair at the expense of better and more deserving teams. Zero justification for it.

I'll stick to my thinking.

Just don't lose to anybody who sucks, and beat most of the teams were on level with in conference and we should be in.

I'll stick to my thinking.

Just don't lose to anybody who sucks, and beat most of the teams were on level with in conference and we should be in.

We are going to have to beat at least one or two teams that are better than us. I don't know if we are capable of beating everyone of the lesser teams in the conf, heck last year we lost two of those games.

We are going to have to beat at least one or two teams that are better than us. I don't know if we are capable of beating everyone of the lesser teams in the conf, heck last year we lost two of those games.

I'm calling it now. We will beat Virginia at home.

CuseHulk said:
I'll stick to my thinking. Just don't lose to anybody who sucks, and beat most of the teams were on level with in conference and we should be in.

I agree with this. I think if we finish above .500 in ACC we'll get in. Bubble has been so bad in recent years, that should be enough. We have 3 top 10 teams coming to the dome, we'll need to win 1 of those. Iowa is our best win right now, that can't be our best win come selection Sunday.

I agree with this. I think if we finish above .500 in ACC we'll get in. Bubble has been so bad in recent years, that should be enough. We have 3 top 10 teams coming to the dome, we'll need to win 1 of those. Iowa is our best win right now, that can't be our best win come selection Sunday.

I just don't see us beating Duke, and Lville is a really bad matchup for us, so that leaves the Uva game, if we can beat Nd in South Bend, that will help big time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom