Brad Stevens | Syracusefan.com

Brad Stevens

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
Terrible coach, none of his players make the nba. Matt Howard is playing ball in france, if stevens was such a great coach shouldnt he have developed him into an nba player?

btw this post is sarcastic. i think "developing nba players" is a ridiculous thing to look at when judging a college coach. would john wall be playing in china if he went to syracuse? would kris joseph be rookie of the year in the nba this year if he went to kentucky? is mike brey the greatest coach ever cuz chris quinn somehow carved out a 5 year nba career? would jason hart have had a 10 year nba career or whatever it was if he went to duke? oh wait...

i dont disagree that success in the of players in the nba does not properly gauge how good of a college coach you are, but i do somewhat disagree that a coach can't influence how good you are at the next level.

i hate despise the man, but calipari seems to be doing something right with instilling the tools or confidence in his players to be successful at the next level.

Alternatively, Stevens is a very good coach because his teams do well despite having no NBA-level talent, and Calipari's success is due solely to the level of talent he can recruit because Kentucky has a bigger budget and more boosters than Stevens could ever dream of seeing.

i dont disagree that success in the of players in the nba does not properly gauge how good of a college coach you are, but i do somewhat disagree that a coach can't influence how good you are at the next level.

i hate despise the man, but calipari seems to be doing something right with instilling the tools or confidence in his players to be successful at the next level.
The thing he's doing right, is recruiting the best players. They'd be high draft picks no matter what college they went to. Without the one year rule, they'd be jumping straight to the league.

I hate what they are doing, I would rather see them go straight to the nba. Brad Stevens is an amazing coach IMO.

Brad Stevens can't win the big one.

And his teams play the worst kind of basketball that is allowed in college hoops.

Brad Stevens can't win the big one.

And his teams play the worst kind of basketball that is allowed in college hoops.
It's like playing Pitt's redneck cousin fresh out of the prison rules circuit.

The thing he's doing right, is recruiting the best players. They'd be high draft picks no matter what college they went to. Without the one year rule, they'd be jumping straight to the league.

exactly. how many nba stars played for calipari at umass? marcus camby and uhhhh thats about it. how bout memphis? d rose, tyreke evans, and uhhhh anybody else? chris douglas roberts is in the d league right now. if hes so great at developing nba talent how come more of his umass and memphis guys arent in the league? its not till he got to kentucky and got all these 1 and doners who would have jumped straight to the nba right out of hs that people think hes some genius at developing nba talent. puhleeeeeze

exactly. how many nba stars played for calipari at umass? marcus camby and uhhhh thats about it. how bout memphis? d rose, tyreke evans, and uhhhh anybody else? chris douglas roberts is in the d league right now. if hes so great at developing nba talent how come more of his umass and memphis guys arent in the league? its not till he got to kentucky and got all these 1 and doners who would have jumped straight to the nba right out of hs that people think hes some genius at developing nba talent. puhleeeeeze
Kentucky's payroll > Memphis's payroll > UMass's payroll

I hate what they are doing, I would rather see them go straight to the nba. Brad Stevens is an amazing coach IMO.

I'm also hate the one and done phenomenon.
The "problem" is the age 19 draft restriction combined with the fact that college functions as the NBA's primary D-League. And with all the $$ to be made at the college level that won't change.

At the same time we still have to give him credit in making it gel, you can have all the talent in the world but if you can't make it gel just right you still won't win. So I respect him in that aspect, but I don't respect the way he is going about his recruiting, it almost forces everyone else to change the way they recruit just to have a shot, which will only result in some real shady stuff.

I agree that the better players you recruit the more you're gonna put in the NBA, but let's also not pretend that college coaches in general don't have any impact on the NBA prospects of their players. (This is not specifically about Calipari, just in general)

I do think judgiing college coaches by how many players they put in the NBA is kinda dumb.

Terrible coach, none of his players make the nba. Matt Howard is playing ball in france, if stevens was such a great coach shouldnt he have developed him into an nba player?

btw this post is sarcastic. i think "developing nba players" is a ridiculous thing to look at when judging a college coach. would john wall be playing in china if he went to syracuse? would kris joseph be rookie of the year in the nba this year if he went to kentucky? is mike brey the greatest coach ever cuz chris quinn somehow carved out a 5 year nba career? would jason hart have had a 10 year nba career or whatever it was if he went to duke? oh wait...

How did Chris Quinn stick so long in the NBA?

I'll never understand that one.

In all seriousness (not that I wasn't being serious before - honestly, how did Chris Quinn get to play in the NBA longer than Lawrence Moten or Stevie Thompson??), it's not unreasonable to think that different coaches can get different things out of a player.

I don't doubt that Joseph or Paul Harris could have had better NBA potential if they'd played for a different coach. That doesn't make one coach better than another, though. Their job is to win games at this level, not develop guys for a different system or league.

Good coaches get the most out of their talent and can teach their players how to execute on the court/field and they do it.

I agree that the better players you recruit the more you're gonna put in the NBA, but let's also not pretend that college coaches in general don't have any impact on the NBA prospects of their players. (This is not specifically about Calipari, just in general)

I do think judgiing college coaches by how many players they put in the NBA is kinda dumb.
I could see a little where getting into the NBA could be considered analogous to how well you are placing some of your players for jobs.

But that wasn't even the criteris. The criteria was how players play in the NBA. Kind of cherry picking the recent sub par NBA careers of our recent entries.

Looks like he is finding the biggest problems of SU and making that the criteria to exclude JB from greatness. At least I believe the level of play in the NBA will be another short lived criteria. MCW will make it disappear from his future lists.

I will say this though, thank god for 2003. The diffeence between 1 and none is huge. Then his picking of criticism would not only be easy but it would have real teeth.

At the same time we still have to give him credit in making it gel, you can have all the talent in the world but if you can't make it gel just right you still won't win. So I respect him in that aspect, but I don't respect the way he is going about his recruiting, it almost forces everyone else to change the way they recruit just to have a shot, which will only result in some real shady stuff.
Sure. I was only refering to how he sends guys to the NBA. The way some people talk, he turns absolute scrubs into NBA allstars.

I would opine that there are dozens of Div I coaches out there that would have very little difficulty (making it gel) in getting the results Calipari has attained recently with the sheer array of talent that has been at UK in the past few years.

BS Calipari's pros are NBA ready when he gets them

In all seriousness (not that I wasn't being serious before - honestly, how did Chris Quinn get to play in the NBA longer than Lawrence Moten or Stevie Thompson??), it's not unreasonable to think that different coaches can get different things out of a player.

I don't doubt that Joseph or Paul Harris could have had better NBA potential if they'd played for a different coach. That doesn't make one coach better than another, though. Their job is to win games at this level, not develop guys for a different system or league.
I always wonder how Quinn got a gig but GMac didn't. GMac I understand is not a NBA prototype player but , hell, neither is Quinn.

Paul Harris' problem he had a forward game in at guard height without the guard skills. If he was 6-7 or 6-8 he may be in the NBA now.

I always wonder how Quinn got a gig but GMac didn't. GMac I understand is not a NBA prototype player but , hell, neither is Quinn.

I think a lot of it comes down to random chance. If you look at the last guys off the bench; they really can't be all that better than a ton of guys who never get a shot and play in Europe or whatever.

Paul Harris' problem he had a forward game in at guard height without the guard skills. If he was 6-7 or 6-8 he may be in the NBA now.
Anyone who has watched one NBA game would see that Harris wasn't an NBA player.

It really isn't a mystery. Quinn had two valuable NBA skills for an NBA backup - he could play point guard and he could shoot. GMac was serviceable at both at the collegiate level, but not even in the neighborhood for the next level. Not in the NBA, not in Lithuania, not in Greece.