Brad Stevens | Syracusefan.com

Brad Stevens

NKR1978

Living Legend
22-7. All 7 losses to unranked teams. Got punked by 32 today at VCU. Losers of two In a row to unranked teams. Game must have passed him by.

22-7. All 7 losses to unranked teams. Got punked by 32 today at VCU. Losers of two In a row to unranked teams. Game must have passed him by.

I dont disagree with your premise but when your talking about a coach who has been to as many final fours in the last three years as SU in 23, you might want to pick someone else.

I dont disagree with your premise but when your talking about a coach who has been to as many final fours in the last three years as SU in 23, you might want to pick someone else.

Ouch.

What does that have to do with this year? He had a great two year run.

Yes, and Butler has the same talent and athleticism level as SU.

What does that have to do with this year? He had a great two year run.

Because people keep acting like were Kentucky/Kansas/Duke and cant figure out why the fanbase is upset. As great as the last couple seasons have been in the regular season we have zero to show for it. No BE tournament titles and no final fours less a championship game appearance. JB has raised the bar so high that tourey success is how he is measured right or wrong. Its the same for Desko and the Lacrosse program but to a much lesser degree of exposure. Butler fans can point to two recent final four one of which was as an 8 seed, I dont think there fans are panicking.

If AO does not get hurt in 2010 JB has one more and Brad has one less. Love what he has done in the past but 7 losses against unranked opponents - what a hack - he must go :)

Because people keep acting like were Kentucky/Kansas/Duke and cant figure out why the fanbase is upset. As great as the last couple seasons have been in the regular season we have zero to show for it. No BE tournament titles and no final fours less a championship game appearance. JB has raised the bar so high that tourey success is how he is measured right or wrong. Its the same for Desko and the Lacrosse program but to a much lesser degree of exposure. Butler fans can point to two recent final four one of which was as an 8 seed, I dont think there fans are panicking.

I don't disagree with any of this. But we're coming off an elite 8, which is pretty decent, and have lost three tough games to really good teams and people are legitimately arguing that JB can't coach.

I don't disagree with any of this. But we're coming off an elite 8, which is pretty decent, and have lost three tough games to really good teams and people are legitimately arguing that JB can't coach.

I defnitely believe he can coach and im behind him 100%. But that doesnt change the fact that su fans are frustrated at another great team failing to reach the final four.

I defnitely believe he can coach and im behind him 100%. But that doesnt change the fact that su fans are frustrated at another great team failing to reach the final four.

Do you really think the reaction here would be tempered if we made it to the Final Four in 2010 or 2012?

I get what you're saying though.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Still gotta be refreshing going into the NCAAs knowing that you can beat the #1 and #2 team in the country.

Which great team are you talking about?

Still gotta be refreshing going into the NCAAs knowing that you can beat the #1 and #2 team in the country.

We beat Louisville and they're pretty solid. And Gonzaga is really good, but they're not the best team in the country.

Duh Jeremy, this is not a great team. It was only a great team before the BE season started (in our minds). Now it's just a good team. Competition will do that to you.

We beat Louisville and they're pretty solid. And Gonzaga is really good, but they're not the best team in the country.

2 of their losses are to Saint Louis. While not ranked at the time, they are an extremely good team, and legitimate final four team.
1 loss was to VCU, another very good which NEVER gets big name teams in their building, and had a 2 year grudge they were holding. Nobody was beating VCU today. Nobody.
1 loss was to Illinois, who has a few scalps to their name as well (@Gonzaga, Indiana, OSU, @ Minn)

The other 3 losses are more perplexing, but 2 were final possession games without their best player (Clark vs. LaSalle) and 2nd best scorer (Smith vs. Charlotte), and the latter was a road game at Xavier, which is never easy.

2 of their losses are to Saint Louis. While not ranked at the time, they are an extremely good team, and legitimate final four team.
1 loss was to VCU, another very good which NEVER gets big name teams in their building, and had a 2 year grudge they were holding. Nobody was beating VCU today. Nobody.
1 loss was to Illinois, who has a few scalps to their name as well (@Gonzaga, Indiana, OSU, @ Minn)

The other 3 losses are more perplexing, but 2 were final possession games without their best player (Clark vs. LaSalle) and 2nd best scorer (Smith vs. Charlotte), and the latter was a road game at Xavier, which is never easy.

Temple was horrible. Nova in a game we should have won if we hit one damn free throw. UConn in a game we were in to the end in possibly our last trip there in the foreseeable future. Pitt a currently top 25 team that historically gives us fits. And the last three games agains two of the hottest teams in the country and a legit top 20 team at their place.

I'll put our losses up against theirs. And none of ours were by 32.

Duh Jeremy, this is not a great team. It was only a great team before the BE season started (in our minds). Now it's just a good team. Competition will do that to you.

The parts there, there are Mickey D AA's all over the place and arguably one of the best six men in the country. We shouldnt have this many losses.

Temple was horrible. Nova in a game we should have won if we hit one damn free throw. UConn in a game we were in to the end in possibly our last trip there in the foreseeable future. Pitt a currently top 25 team that historically gives us fits. And the last three games agains two of the hottest teams in the country and a legit top 20 team at their place.

I'll put our losses up against theirs. And none of ours were by 32.

I would too, but I wasn't arguing that the game had passed anyone by.

Do you really think the reaction here would be tempered if we made it to the Final Four in 2010 or 2012?

I get what you're saying though.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Yes I absolutely do. When you reach the final four your season has been success no matter what (unless your Duke or maybe UNC) you have reached the ultimate goal for any program in Div 1 basketball. Our fans consider SU one tier below blue blood status and some even think we should be in the discussion as a blue blood, blue bloods dont go a decade between final four appearances, sorry they just dont. SU has reached a point under JB where the seasons are judged on tourney success, people can talk 900 wins Regular season titles and everything else since 03, bottom line is the team is now a decade since our last final four and unfortunately it appears its going to be at least 11 years after this season. For a program brining in continuous top 15 classes and the regular season success we have had since 03 its an extremely tough pill to swallow.

The parts there, there are Mickey D AA's all over the place and arguably one of the best six men in the country. We shouldnt have this many losses.

DaJuan has not panned out like we thought he would, at least not this year so he is out of the picture. Kind of a worse case scenario for him. We all thought Rak would make a leap this year something like Fab did his second year.. He didn't even come close to making any kind of leap. No one knew MCW would turn out to be unable to put the ball in the hole (abysmal shooter).

Maybe it can be blamed on JB but I tend to think it is just a matter of us over hyping the team before the season got into full swing. We have lost to some pretty good teams and have not been blown out this year at all, so we are not done yet.

DaJuan has not panned out like we thought he would, at least not this year so he is out of the picture. Kind of a worse case scenario for him. We all thought Rak would make a leap this year something like Fab did his second year.. He didn't even come close to making any kind of leap. No one knew MCW would turn out to be unable to put the ball in the hole (abysmal shooter).

Maybe it can be blamed on JB but I tend to think it is just a matter of us over hyping the team before the season got into full swing. We have lost to some pretty good teams and have not been blown out this year at all, so we are not done yet.

I am not blaming JB, theres plenty of that to go around to everyone from MCW to Triche to Keita to Rak to Cooney. Bottom line is this team based on its talent is underachieving at this point. Doesnt mean the season is over but we have unfortunately seen this movie before with talented SU teams that just cant put it together for one reason or another, the ceiling is usually Sweet 16 at best.

Semi-serious question:
You give the same 10 players to JB and to Stevens, to coach for one full season, including training camp/practices. Put them into a random schedule against BigTen and ACC teams.

Who finishes with the better record?

Semi-serious question:
You give the same 10 players to JB and to Stevens, to coach for one full season, including training camp/practices. Put them into a random schedule against BigTen and ACC teams.

Who finishes with the better record?

How about we ask whether JB would have lost to VCU by 32 if he were coaching Butler today.

But I'll take JB hands down over Stevens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom