Brad Van Pelt, espn, 'Cuse should get money and leave too | Syracusefan.com

Brad Van Pelt, espn, 'Cuse should get money and leave too

arbitragegls

All Conference
Interesting video by _Scott Van Pelt...me bad_____...doesnt understand why 'Cuse and Pitt are hanging around the BE. Why is one team gone and two others are not. He doesnt believe it would be that difficult to raise the $20 million...and either do I.

Maybe 'Cuse should admit 100 more frosh each year for 4 years and you basically have the difference between the $5 million needed at end of 27 months and the additional $15 million needed now...not to mention raking in a boat load more money from ACC than BE...actually would not take all four years above mentioned.

FREE 'CUSE..get out NOW!!!!!!!!!1

So, anytime SU needs some money for something, all they have to do is admit more students? Somehow, I don't think it works that simply.

I hope we stick it to the BE. Press Conference:

" The commissioner has said that he is keeping us to the full 27 month buy out. We respect his word, and as a founding member of the Big East, Syracuse will always keep its contractual word with the conference and our fellow members.
It is up to the BE whether or not to let us out earlier, but we will not pay more than the contractually agreed upon $5 million. As a private university, we cannot simply raise more money by going to the tax payers.
We look forward to competing in, and winning, the Big East for the next two years. In particular, I know that coach Boeheim, his players, and especially our fans and alumni in the NY metropolitan area are looking forward to "occupying Madison Square Garden" for as long as we continue to participate in the Big East Tournament."

or something along those lines. Lets go all Jim Irsay on the Big East.

Brad Van Pelt #10 RIP

made it to the GIANTS Ring of Honor this year.

Brad Van Pelt. Was a formed all pro Linebacker in the 70s for the NY GIANTS. i doubt he is posting videos talking bout the expansion in college athletics since he passed away in 2009.

Scott Van Pelt you mean

Maybe its just me, but I just don't see it as a big deal that we are staying one extra year.

The buyout money saved (which could be approx $10m) will go right into the practice facility.

Maybe he means Alex Van Pelt...

a207929131241a98bb8d05_m.JPG

I'd stay the extra year and invest the $15 million dollars into facilities.

Yep. We're going to be in ACC for decades, staying one more year and saving $15M is fine.

SU gives away a lot of grant money, so by admitting 100 kids as you want to would not do much to balance the costs...just stay the extra year and save $15M.

I could go either way with this, but the buyout is not going to really be the whole 20 million half would be offset by the estimated increase in tv revenue alone

im sure 15 million would go a long way in helping out facilities...plus im going out on a limb but i believe we will win the Big East this year ...

He doesnt believe it would be that difficult to raise the $20 million...and either do I.
Maybe 'Cuse should admit 100 more frosh each year for 4 years

Delusional fans like you scare me. Please do your best not to represent us as a fan base.

You don't simply admit an extra 100 students for money. How will you guarantee that these are students of financial wealth where they can fully pay their way through school (ie. not receive financial grants from the university)? Where will you house additional students? I don't suppose overcrowding would be an issue for most majors but if these students were drama/architecture/design students where there's a strict number of students accepted per year, you'd definitely have overcrowding where there's not enough desk space to work. And did we suddenly become a for-profit university admitting more students just for money?

I would like to go to the ACC now. I feel like a kid who has been told in February he will be going to Disney World after school lets out in June. I can not wait, but I understand that I have no choice.

What would make the wait more palatable would be confirmation that SU and Pitt would be released from their obligations to the BE as of June 30, 2013. At least we would have some finality about the timing of the move.

I'd stay the extra year and invest the $15 million dollars into facilities.

We really won't be saving any money by not moving early.

If we leave for 2012-13 we have to pay $20 million but get an extra $10 million from TV for both 2012-13 and 2013-14, meaning after two years we break even.

If we stay for 2012-13 and then leave for the ACC in 2013-14 we have to pay $10 million but we get an extra $10 million from TV for 2013-14, meaning we break even.

If we stay for 2012-13 and 2013-14, then we go to the ACC without paying any extra $.

All three options are the same end cost to SU.

gotta wonder whats going on behind closed doors right now-

some say its still not too late for 2012-

the revenue lost from the 2 games the big east managment cost us -might give tgd enough incentive to find the money and get it over with-
screw the big east-they could have made tcu play 1 season so as to not totally screw the schedule -

they gave up a awful lot letting wv and tcu skate without replacement teams for the league

basically they played bitch for the big what ever it is

Tuition covers 80% of the cost to educate a student at SU, so that wouldn't solve the problem.

I think the Big 12 is more desparate than the ACC and that's why they footed a good chunk of the bill for WVU. I'm fine with either situation. If we stay, we get to take over MSG a few more times in basketball and work towards getting the football program on better footing. If we go sooner, we may gain a little in our southern recruiting for football and maybe I can get to some basketball games since I live in the south.

I think one more season in the Big East will be extremely beneficial to SU, we are still young, up and coming team. It would make sense for us to stay one more year and develop in a weaker conference that (in my opinion) we have a good chance of winning and going to the BCS game. Even if we get destroyed in that game it will still turn recruits' heads. Monetarily it may look to be the same anyway you spin it, but based on the development of the program it is a no brainer to stay in the Big East one more year. Plus we'll get another year of Big East basketball as a farewell tour. I say SU sweeps both conference crowns next year.

Personally I don't mind staying, mostly because both in 2004 and in this situation Syracuse acted like one of the few adults in the room. UConn can't say that. And certainly West Virgina acted like a five year old having a temper tantrum. Acting unprofessionally may not come back to burn those two schools - after all this is business and every stakeholder is going to act in their own best interest...if that means WVU or UConn benefit as well, so be it. but I've found acting professionally never hurts and generally pays off in the end.

Anyone that thinks we should storm off to the ACC in a fit really needs to explain why Syracuse should completely blow the reputation they've built. It may not be the best option for the bottom line (or for the games we'll see in football next year) - but staying for one more year is the right decision.

I do think the Big East is obligated to let Pitt and Syracuse go next year without financially raping them, if I was Gross I would make sure they knew that was my position. Diplomatically, of course.