Brandon Triche | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Brandon Triche

Finally watched the first half of the Manhattan game -- Triche was very solid shooting the ball, and he spotted up a couple of times on passes from Dion. BT has his roles -- and it may be that we should get over a couple of notions. One is that BT is a point guard (even in that half he scored as an off-guard and rarely did anything from the point in a half court set). The other notion is that this is BT vs Dion. They worked well as a pairing and we will likely see that some more.

It makes it hard for the fans who want to list roles & minutes as if these were carved in stone, but this team is still a work in progress -- different every night, with Keita & Southerland surprising everyone last night. Prior couple of games, it looked like Keita was losing minutes to Christmas; last night, he was as efficient as anyone. Last night, Southerland was imitating Demetrius Nichols. And, my point is BT isn't the only one who is not consistent, but will surely have his chances.

I'm okay with Scoop or BT losing their job, but I think we'll stay with that combo all year. Our second unit certainly has more upside, and they can't be much more inconsistent than the starters. Still, JB is probably more comfortable with the experience and will stick with them. They'll both have their moments this year, and having capable replacements is only going to help.

That being said, I think BT's fantastic defense and great shooting ability are a myth. I've never noticed his defense to be anything other than adequate and despite a few good games he's never really been a good shooter. The numbers certainly say he isn't - Scoop is his equal as a shooter and we're no longer working with a small sample size. You know what you're getting with Scoop, sometimes steady, sometimes mind-boggling stupid passes (usually lobs in situations where a lob isn't warranted).

I'm okay with Scoop or BT losing their job, but I think we'll stay with that combo all year. Our second unit certainly has more upside, and they can't be much more inconsistent than the starters. Still, JB is probably more comfortable with the experience and will stick with them. They'll both have their moments this year, and having capable replacements is only going to help.

That being said, I think BT's fantastic defense and great shooting ability are a myth. I've never noticed his defense to be anything other than adequate and despite a few good games he's never really been a good shooter. The numbers certainly say he isn't - Scoop is his equal as a shooter and we're no longer working with a small sample size. You know what you're getting with Scoop, sometimes steady, sometimes mind-boggling stupid passes (usually lobs in situations where a lob isn't warranted).
agreed, I mean he is not a bad defender at all, but it has never jumped out at me, whereas the very little live action I have seen with MCW and right away you see the instincts and ability to take it away from opposing players

That being said, I think BT's fantastic defense and great shooting ability are a myth. I've never noticed his defense to be anything other than adequate and despite a few good games he's never really been a good shooter.

Agree 100%. I think people throw the "good defender" tag around too much. I've heard someone say each member of our team is a good defender at some point in a thread. Its just simply not true.

Triche is nowhere near "fantastic" on defense...he's not as bad as Jonny Flynn up top...but, he's not memorable up there either.

He doesnt do anything better than avg . For a junior im disappointed in his development and i already think hes reached his ceiling in hs.
If you think he reached his ceiling in HS why are you disappointed in his development?

And the Louisville game before that. Bumps him to 32% from 3 and 37% from field. Waiters still way better.

Though it would help if someone used linear regression (whatever that is) to analyze the data. Is anyone on here qualified to do that?
fanfanclubclub where you at? :rolling:

From people not on this board...who are somewhat independent in choosing or naming a good player on 'Cuse...Triche holds up fairly well vs. the other guards...it is time to stop bashing Triche, or Scoop, or Waiters and begin cheering which ever is playing well...take a look at the write-up from today's articles that shows that Triche isnt so bad...I believe JB has him playing out of position...and maybe he should be the back-up PG...but vs. Scoop right now...I like the Triche-Waiters combo!...and always have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom