Brandon's senior season... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Brandon's senior season...

Not fair to expect a complementary player to play the star role consistently. Probably can expect him to shoot better from deep; part of the reason his numbers are bad is because his shot selection's been bad - he's never been able to hit from 25 and he shouldn't try shots from that deep.

Definitely fair to expect the fourth-year guy to eliminate the jump-pass turnovers and the slip-and-falls. The freshmen turnovers really frustrate.

As to "chemistry," it's just a bad alignment of the planets: The senior (BT) who should be the GoTo Guy is instead a Glue Guy; the sophomore who wants to lead the team is too inexperienced. If MCW were the senior and Triche the sophomore on this team, it would be a much better team. As for Southie, the other senior, he's too streaky to be the consistent leader. So that takes us back back to OrangeXtreme's comment, "It's all Dion's fault for leaving early," and it even makes us value Scoop's contribution more highly in retrospect.-VBOF

Not fair to expect a complementary player to play the star role consistently. Probably can expect him to shoot better from deep; part of the reason his numbers are bad is because his shot selection's been bad - he's never been able to hit from 25 and he shouldn't try shots from that deep.

Definitely fair to expect the fourth-year guy to eliminate the jump-pass turnovers and the slip-and-falls. The freshmen turnovers really frustrate.
He does one of each every game. Its always in ridiculous slow motion too so youre just sitting there like...

My biggest complaint with Triche is how he starts games. He typically never starts by driving, but rather by shooting 3-pointers. I would rather see him dribble drive (he is a nifty finisher in the lane) and then go to the 3 point shot when it is wide open. There really is no excuse for Triche not to lower his shoulder on almost every possession and hit the lane hard.

Which goes back to my frustration that Triche and MCW passed the ball around the perimeter instead of attacking gaps and driving and creating, since they are both best at putting the ball on the deck.

Both Pearl and Sherman were point guards. Monroe shot .439 from outside that season ... he HAD to start.

Sherman got both DC and Seikaly involved in the offense on a regular basis. Pearl would have tried to do too much by himself.

IMO the 1986-87 team was better off without Pearl.

I see a three man guard rotation like we had last year. Monroe may have started but Sherman would not have been glued to the bench. It would have been one of the great back courts of all time.

I see a three man guard rotation like we had last year. Monroe may have started but Sherman would not have been glued to the bench. It would have been one of the great back courts of all time.
The other player who was the backup big man on the 1987 team until he left after 14 games Rodney Walker would have helped. Always felt he and Michael Brown made mistakes not being patient and waiting their turn to play. We were losing good players a lot back then, Duncan, Hughes, Roe from DC's class, its amazing how good those teams were with all the good players leaving.

The other player who was the backup big man on the 1987 team until he left after 14 games Rodney Walker would have helped. Always felt he and Michael Brown made mistakes not being patient and waiting their turn to play. We were losing good players a lot back then, Duncan, Hughes, Roe from DC's class, its amazing how good those teams were with all the good players leaving.

I never fully understood the reason for Roe's transfer, especially after his junior season. I recall him getting adequate playing time his junior year, so I've always thought his transfer was a bit peculiar. :noidea:

The guys ahead of them were better. Walker was behind Seikaly. Brown was behind Washington, Monroe and Douglas. Duncan was behind Douglas and Hughes was behind Coleman. Roe was behind Owens and Thompson.

Shooting 42% from the floor and 29% from 3.

How would you rate his performance thus far? Outside of two big games, he's been a bit dissapointing to say the least.

He is a below average shooter who has the strength but not the body control a bit like Harris

Shooting 42% from the floor and 29% from 3.

How would you rate his performance thus far? Outside of two big games, he's been a bit dissapointing to say the least.

I rate his performance a lot like I rated Kris Joseph before him. Disappointing that he isn't doing more, because the talent is there.

We really needed Triche to take a step forward with his outside shooting consistency as a senior. Him shooting 39% from three [for example] would have gone a long way toward shoring up an offensive team deficiency.

That said, it is important to note that Triche is doing well enough to lead a balanced team in scoring [again, like KJ last year]. Its not like he's been poor, he just hasn't been as good as I expected he would. Louisville game notwithstanding [which again clearly demonstrates that the talent is there].

Brandon needs to slash more. Enough with the off balance 25 footers. His frame doesn't help him launching jumpers but you better believe it helps mixing it up in the paint.

I rate his performance a lot like I rated Kris Joseph before him. Disappointing that he isn't doing more, because the talent is there.

We really needed Triche to take a step forward with his outside shooting consistency as a senior. Him shooting 39% from three [for example] would have gone a long way toward shoring up an offensive team deficiency.

That said, it is important to note that Triche is doing well enough to lead a balanced team in scoring [again, like KJ last year]. Its not like he's been poor, he just hasn't been as good as I expected he would. Louisville game notwithstanding [which again clearly demonstrates that the talent is there].

I'd disagree. He has been poor compared to what a starter playing 35 minutes a game as a senior should be doing for a top-10 team.

He hoists off-balanced three's, gets caught in the air and makes one or two boneheaded turnovers a game, and defensively has lost assignments way too many times for a senior who is a four-year starter. Most of all, his body language if he is not playing well is piss-poor.

Kris Joseph was a two-year starter, and improved enough to be drafted in the second round. Brandon has been starting for four years, and has not gotten better.

I'd disagree. He has been poor compared to what a starter playing 35 minutes a game as a senior should be doing for a top-10 team.

He hoists off-balanced three's, gets caught in the air and makes one or two boneheaded turnovers a game, and defensively has lost assignments way too many times for a senior who is a four-year starter. Most of all, his body language if he is not playing well is piss-poor.

Kris Joseph was a two-year starter, and improved enough to be drafted in the second round. Brandon has been starting for four years, and has not gotten better.

Well, I disagree right back at you in several respects--he's leading the team in scoring, so he must be doing something right, and he hasn't been nearly as bad as some posts in this thread suggest. People need to keep perspective that ~14 ppg and close to 4 assists / 4 rebounds is quality production by any measurement. I think some of the frustration stems from him being more of a complimentary guy [again, like KJ] versus a guy who can carry the team on a consistent basis.

I also disagree about the turnovers--he got off to that start at the beginning of the year, but then has been really good at cutting down on unforced turnovers. The alley oops yesterday are probably fresh in your mind, but Triche has been generally solid in that department. And the body language thing is completely overblown and subjective.

Where I agree with you is on consistency for a four year starter. He's shown up for some big moments...but he hasn't similarly put the team on his back in others key games, and its cost us.

Absolutely no argument about the off-balanced threes--it drives me nuts that we have guys taking 29 foot jumpers. Seriously, why the F are we taking shots from out there without our feet set?? And the elephant in the living room is undoubtedly his three point shooting percentage. As stated in my post above, him shooting a decent percentage would have gone a long way for this team. Unfortunately, he's sub-30%, and that sets the tone for the rest of the team.

Brandon needs to slash more. Enough with the off balance 25 footers. His frame doesn't help him launching jumpers but you better believe it helps mixing it up in the paint.

Agree completely with this. A lot of discussion here is how good Brandon really is. JB has said he is one of the most talented players he has every coached. Maybe in some aspects, but not in outside shooting. I think what everyone agrees with is that he is a poor to mediocre outside shooter but pretty good when he takes it to the hole. So here is the solution Brandon. Drive. Drive. The drive some more. The biggest problem with this team is jacking threes left and right. We are actually pretty good when our guards who are not good 3 point shooters drive first. This gives Dirty the ability to be out on the perimeter for them to dish to, to dish to Rak (not Baye, can't happen) or JeramiCJ, or to finish themselves. I would be completely fine if Brandon and MCW collectively took no more than 4-5 three pointers a game.

BT is a good player...maybe even a very good player. He is a good guard that plays under control. He is better at bringing up the ball and passing off...I feel he would have been an above average PG this year...but he is not a 3 pt shooter...too streaky. Interestingly, neither is MCW a good 3 pt shooter. So that combination does not provide 'Cuse with a good shooting guard...in fact, I would bet that MCW was brought in as the 2 guard...that is what is played primarily in HS...but it became obvious he did not shoot the 3 and was quite good as a PG...thus we have two PGs...both capable of driving to the hoop...and that is what they need to do. Both Dirty and CJ are better at the 3...so drive and pass out...that is what can make this a good run to the NC...and I believe we can get there with Triche and with MCW as diriving PGs.

My biggest complaint with Triche is how he starts games. He typically never starts by driving, but rather by shooting 3-pointers. I would rather see him dribble drive (he is a nifty finisher in the lane) and then go to the 3 point shot when it is wide open. There really is no excuse for Triche not to lower his shoulder on almost every possession and hit the lane hard.

Which goes back to my frustration that Triche and MCW passed the ball around the perimeter instead of attacking gaps and driving and creating, since they are both best at putting the ball on the deck.

How much of that (your last paragraph) is on those two as opposed to being on JB's offense?

By the way, I agree with you on Brandon. He needs to start his offense closer to the basket earlier - drives or short jumpers - and work his way out as he gets the feel for the basket.

I love how this thread is going though. Brandon sucks but he's the main problem with our team's offense - can't have it both ways here boys and girls. If you think BT is a bad basketball player then you really can't expect him to take over the games putting the rest of this offensively challenged team on his back.

And MCW throwing passes to the other team can't be blamed on BT. MCW has plenty of his own issues right now. And he's the supposed lottery pick...

When people say "very good guard"...by what measure? Is it one of those Forth type things where it doesnt show up on the statsheet? Is he doing things off the ball or in a leadership manner that I should be paying attention to?

He's too inconsistent. He'll have games like louisville and seton hall, then follow it up with games like uconn and gtown. Its ok for A player like southerland to be streaky, but not a player as important to the team as triche is. Just way too up and down.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Well, I disagree right back at you in several respects--he's leading the team in scoring, so he must be doing something right, and he hasn't been nearly as bad as some posts in this thread suggest. People need to keep perspective that ~14 ppg and close to 4 assists / 4 rebounds is quality production by any measurement. I think some of the frustration stems from him being more of a complimentary guy [again, like KJ] versus a guy who can carry the team on a consistent basis.

I also disagree about the turnovers--he got off to that start at the beginning of the year, but then has been really good at cutting down on unforced turnovers. The alley oops yesterday are probably fresh in your mind, but Triche has been generally solid in that department. And the body language thing is completely overblown and subjective.

Where I agree with you is on consistency for a four year starter. He's shown up for some big moments...but he hasn't similarly put the team on his back in others key games, and its cost us.

Absolutely no argument about the off-balanced threes--it drives me nuts that we have guys taking 29 foot jumpers. Seriously, why the F are we taking shots from out there without our feet set?? And the elephant in the living room is undoubtedly his three point shooting percentage. As stated in my post above, him shooting a decent percentage would have gone a long way for this team. Unfortunately, he's sub-30%, and that sets the tone for the rest of the team.

Because he takes the most shots.

And he shouldn't be.

How much of that (your last paragraph) is on those two as opposed to being on JB's offense?

By the way, I agree with you on Brandon. He needs to start his offense closer to the basket earlier - drives or short jumpers - and work his way out as he gets the feel for the basket.

I love how this thread is going though. Brandon sucks but he's the main problem with our team's offense - can't have it both ways here boys and girls. If you think BT is a bad basketball player then you really can't expect him to take over the games putting the rest of this offensively challenged team on his back.

And MCW throwing passes to the other team can't be blamed on BT. MCW has plenty of his own issues right now. And he's the supposed lottery pick...

I think most of the last paragraph was on the coaches' strategy to attack the zone as opposed to the players being in the wrong. Will not understand why JB was running curls with our guys or having CJ flash the middle instead of having 2 physical guards dribble penetrate against the gaps.

Brandon is what he's always been. No better no worse. He may not be the biggest problem with the team but the lack of a quality 2 guard that can consistently hit the 3 is a problem for this team. Quality 2 guards are all over the NCAA and they will give us problems in the tourney. Brandon is a good guard, he's a tweener, a combo guard, jack of all trades, master of none. If we had a knockdown shooter Brandon would make a great complement to he and MCW.

We go as Brandon goes. He has been inconsistent just as the team has . BT should work his shot off his drive not the other way around . I actually don't mind when he's a little out if control because at least that means he's being aggressive . He has to cut down on the stupid turnovers however . The ones where he makes lackadaisical passed from the top. I feel bad for him because he's only as good as a 3rd or maybe a 2nd option. He's being asked to do something he isn't capable of.

he is a kid who never improved on the court-as a player or leader

he is the same player he was 4 years ago- at one time i thought he could grow into a major factor- he never grew -almost like he is scared to let it all out-

if he ever did let the beast loose -man

best thing about college sports is that we are forced to move on from these dumb arguments. triche is just a guy, that's it. in pro sports, you sit there and wonder why in the hell am i watching the 10th year of jochen hecht or chris kelsay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom