break out surprise players this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

break out surprise players this year

Offense- Nick Robinson. The fact he was in the tank package tells me he can run block.

Defense- Wilkes. I say this because everyone expects someone else to take his spot. I think he is ready to step up for a big year.

Before I divulge who I am hopeful to have breakout seasons, isn't it great that we have options now? For the first time in a long time, I think we have some quality depth that will help us keep players fresh late in games. It is refreshing to see. My brief thoughts...

OFFENSE - Jeremiah Kobena impressed me early on last season and I thought was going to be a huge part of the offense after the NW game. After his injury, he wasn't nearly as involved in the game plan other than KO return.

DEFENSE - Cameron Lynch is primed to break out as a starter this year after biding his time in a reserve role the past two years.

Going with the idea of true surprises (I don't count someone like Morris, since we all expect good things from him whenever he gets significant carries)...

Offense: Alvin Cornelius
Defense: Julian Whigham

Does the expectation of good things apply to broyld as well? Can broyld be counted?

Does the expectation of good things apply to broyld as well? Can broyld be counted?

Well for me, no, but that's just because I expect Broyld to be a major contributor so it wouldn't really be a surprise to me. But everyone has their own standard for this sort of thing.

I was talking to someone yesterday that heard that the coaches are entertaining the idea of moving Kirkland to safety because of his freakish athletic ability. (Btw, does any one have his forty time from testing?)

Can you imagine what would go through the mind of an opposing wr as he ran a crossing route? I guarantee that catching the ball isn't at the top of the list.

The player that leaked this information said that JK is an absolute animal and the hardest hitter on the team. He also said that JK really wants to play LB rather than safety, however. If JK is as athletic as advertised, I really think a move to safety might propel him into the NFL draft in a couple of years. Making the move sure beats battling with D Davis for playing time.

Kirkland could see a significant role at Okie this year. He's a different type player than Shamarko he is still a tweener.

Offense- Nick Robinson. The fact he was in the tank package tells me he can run block.

Defense- Wilkes. I say this because everyone expects someone else to take his spot. I think he is ready to step up for a big year.

Wilkes would definitely count as a surprise in my book as I've been less than impressed with his play the last couple years. I doubt it would happen, but seniors sometimes do have some unexpected success at times for some reason -- whether it be a sense of urgency or maturation I'm not sure. I remember Tony Okanlawon -- a DB for maryland who was the target of non-stop criticism for three years picked off like 5 passes and had a great senior year out of nowhere.

If I had to guess, who I'd think would surprise I'd go with:

Welsh on defense -- guy who doesn't get too much pub b/c he's not terribly big nor terribly fast. But he seems to have a knack for sticking his nose in on a lot of plays.

Offense -- I like Kobena. If he can stay healthy I think he can have a break-out season where he is a legit no. 2. Reminds me of a Brinkley-type situation where you have a talented player who's had flashes but struggled with injuries.

STs -- Estime. Will be interesting to see if he or Desir for that matter can boost the return game.

Going outside the box, Nick Robinson will be very good at RG and will suprise. Wayne Morgan will start and be Shamarko like.

Other than that, Clark will play more than people think and I have a feeling Manley will suprise.

O-Omari Palmer
O-DeVante McFarlane

I figure I'll beat OttoinGrotto to the McFarlane pick. I cheated and picked 2 offensive players.

Wilkes would definitely count as a surprise in my book as I've been less than impressed with his play the last couple years. I doubt it would happen, but seniors sometimes do have some unexpected success at times for some reason -- whether it be a sense of urgency or maturation I'm not sure. I remember Tony Okanlawon -- a DB for maryland who was the target of non-stop criticism for three years picked off like 5 passes and had a great senior year out of nowhere.

If I had to guess, who I'd think would surprise I'd go with:

Welsh on defense -- guy who doesn't get too much pub b/c he's not terribly big nor terribly fast. But he seems to have a knack for sticking his nose in on a lot of plays.

Offense -- I like Kobena. If he can stay healthy I think he can have a break-out season where he is a legit no. 2. Reminds me of a Brinkley-type situation where you have a talented player who's had flashes but struggled with injuries.

STs -- Estime. Will be interesting to see if he or Desir for that matter can boost the return game.

Looking for dark horses. Go back to last year. Some blown coverages that look like Wilkes fault were actually Ritchie and Esk. You saw jerami get on them immediately after. Then Donnie Henderson followed suit. Like the welsh/kobena picks too. Welsh has a great motor and kobena may be what everyone thinks funderburke was.

O-Omari Palmer
O-DeVante McFarlane

I figure I'll beat OttoinGrotto to the McFarlane pick. I cheated and picked 2 offensive players.
You earned it!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Offense- Drew Allen is going to be an all ACC selection not 1st team, but will be up there with the upper echelon of ACC QBs. (I base this solely on hope)

Defense- Keon Lyn finally lives up to being a shutdown top flight CB and makes the ACC 2nd team D.

I might want to add 2 of these guys. Darius Kelly and Chris Clark. I always hear how Kelly is working out. He already said he has increased his bench 40lbs since getting here 2 months ago, and from this picture Chris Clark looks bulked up a bit

http://instagram.com/p/cURaUUyBQ9/

Our 2 JC 'backers Luke Arciniega and Josh Kirkland. I think they make some noise when they get rotated in/ situational substitutions.

I'm not sure but I remember SS saying that while scouting other player(s) on the roster that Kirkland kept flying into the frame and peaked his interest.

I missed the Spring Game but from what many have said, JK is the fastest of all our LB's. If true, we need him on the field as much as possible.
That would seem to mean he's fast enough to play safety considering D Davis was a WR/Safety before he was moved to LB.

Looking for dark horses. Go back to last year. Some blown coverages that look like Wilkes fault were actually Ritchie and Esk. You saw jerami get on them immediately after. Then Donnie Henderson followed suit. Like the welsh/kobena picks too. Welsh has a great motor and kobena may be what everyone thinks funderburke was.
What concerned me while watching Wilkes last year were the missed tackles.

What concerned me while watching Wilkes last year were the missed tackles.
Me too. He's a senior with experience but definitely not significantly better than some others. I think Wilkes splits time with D. Kelly or possibly someone else.

Kyle Knapp - 262 last year and 284 this year. I have my doubts with Foy in pass protection and think he overtakes him and has a solid year.
Flemming is my second choice.

Eskridge - 6'3" 207 lbs and can fly. He has all the tools. Played injured for some of last year. He will have 3 productive years.
Kelly at FS is my second choice. I think he splits time with Wilkes this year. Loved his highlight reel. He is under rated.

Robinson on O if he can improve his footwork for pass protection and Eskridge if he completely recovers from his injury.

I'd love to see Clark and Kobena take off to open it up for West who I believe will have a Alec Lemon type year.

Kyle Knapp - 262 last year and 284 this year. I have my doubts with Foy in pass protection and think he overtakes him and has a solid year.
Flemming is my second choice.

The battle at right tackle is going to be very interesting to watch. I have never seen Knapp play (except for his HS highlight tape) but Marrone seemed to have a pretty high opinion of him. Say what you want about Marrone, but the last couple of tackles he has singled out, Pugh and Hickey, have been pretty good. Nothing against Foy, but transitioning to tackle is going to be tough for him. Playing in space on the edge is really difficult. I would feel really good about the O line this year if Knapp has progressed enough to seriously challenge at right tackle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom