Brian Ward Fired | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Brian Ward Fired

The biggest issue our LBs have, IMO, is not getting downhill in their run-fits when diagnosing the play. I can't tell you how many times I saw in my BC re-watch that LBs just held their ground or shuffled sideways. They were either on the wrong side of a hard shoulder or beat on an angle. Have to get downhill after diagnosing.

Richards had a pretty good bowl game last year, can he be a full time DE with Kingsley Jonathan next year?

I get that he’s having assignment problems at LB but can our run D be worse?

If the ability is there, I’d rather he learn on the field during games at this point.

Richards may be inconsistent and does possibly have things that hold him back. I like you still think he should be out there more. My God, I have watched Evan Foster make the same mistakes over and over again for three years yet he loses no time. Don't forget Ward/Monroe/McCloud had Cordell Hudson playing over Fredrick for the first 7 games in 2016. You remember him, the star of the Lamar Jackson highlight reel. That has been my main criticism of this staff. They are too stubborn regarding giving other players time. All you ever get is they aren't ready, yet the guys that are playing don't play like they are ready either. Sometimes change is good.
It is puzzling to me that we have guys make brief appearances, seem like they can play just find, and they stay buried while we see the same guys play the vast majority of the snaps.

The biggest issue our LBs have, IMO, is not getting downhill in their run-fits when diagnosing the play. I can't tell you how many times I saw in my BC re-watch that LBs just held their ground or shuffled sideways. They were either on the wrong side of a hard shoulder or beat on an angle. Have to get downhill after diagnosing.
No doubt. Even when they have the right run fits, it seems they often get blown up or easily sealed. I'm guessing this is because of their lack of size, as well as their initial hestitation. It's not for lack of effort (I know you are not suggesting this).

defense seemed the least of our worries. unless you think they lay down and quit. that can't happen ever.
but's that really more on the players than coaches. i'm not against the move. but what's the root cause ?

I would like to see the LB's used to attack downhill more. I forget what game I was watching, it may have been a pro game, but the analyst during the game mentioned how a well respected DC, again I forget who but I recognized the name at the time, used to tell guys to attack the QB and play the run on the way there.

With how often we see our LB's get lost in the wash and have difficulty getting off blocks and considering they're a bit undersized but fairly athletic, it seems like putting them in attack mode would allow them to play faster and creating some havoc may benefit us even if it did open us up to a few more big plays. Could we really give up more big plays than have been anyway? It may also let us use someone wirh physical tools but poorly developed skills, like Armstrong may be, effectively.
I agree wholeheartedly. Try and change los. As I have said before Conley’s whole concept is stop run first reading the triangle. Center to guards to runners. Reading pulling lineman help as ur coming down hill and making the stop at los. Not letting them get a 5 yd gain before we even move.

Yep. No forward steps at all. Been seeing that since Bennett and Zaire left. Guthrie was way more downhill from middle season on and was good at it especially cause he played low and he was hard to block

Is that talent or technique?

Is that talent or technique?

i wouldn’t go as far to say talent. I think proper LB technique always starts with two fit steps forward. After the diagnosis of run/pass - they need to either make their run fit or drop back into their zone, prepare for a CMA, or take their guy (if they’re playing man). I see the fit steps happening, but then I see hesitation. Which either means (my opinion) they’re thinking too much, or they’re being drilled ad nauseam to not over pursue.

Maybe it is talent? I don’t think LW has those issues. And anyone who has read my past posts know what I think of Armstrong. Maybe it’s scheme? Whatever it is, the new DC or new LB coach needs to fix it.

i wouldn’t go as far to say talent. I think proper LB technique always starts with two fit steps forward. After the diagnosis of run/pass - they need to either make their run fit or drop back into their zone, prepare for a CMA, or take their guy (if they’re playing man). I see the fit steps happening, but then I see hesitation. Which either means (my opinion) they’re thinking too much, or they’re being drilled ad nauseam to not over pursue.

Maybe it is talent? I don’t think LW has those issues. And anyone who has read my past posts know what I think of Armstrong. Maybe it’s scheme? Whatever it is, the new DC or new LB coach needs to fix it.
i also think we haven’t taught backers much about getting off blocks or staying low. When I see 12 get blocked he is always straight up and it makes for easy target to block.

Richards may be inconsistent and does possibly have things that hold him back. I like you still think he should be out there more. My God, I have watched Evan Foster make the same mistakes over and over again for three years yet he loses no time. Don't forget Ward/Monroe/McCloud had Cordell Hudson playing over Fredrick for the first 7 games in 2016. You remember him, the star of the Lamar Jackson highlight reel. That has been my main criticism of this staff. They are too stubborn regarding giving other players time. All you ever get is they aren't ready, yet the guys that are playing don't play like they are ready either. Sometimes change is good.
Well it sounds like the issue is developing players. If the next guy is not ready to contribute than the coaches are doing a bad job of preparing them. As fans, it’s tough to determine who should play when we only see a small sample size of a player. We don’t see the other factors that keep players off the field. I am frustrated too. I would like to see other players get opportunities but based on what I see schematically, there’s bigger issues that wouldnt change no matter which player is in.

Well it sounds like the issue is developing players. If the next guy is not ready to contribute than the coaches are doing a bad job of preparing them. As fans, it’s tough to determine who should play when we only see a small sample size of a player. We don’t see the other factors that keep players off the field. I am frustrated too. I would like to see other players get opportunities but based on what I see schematically, there’s bigger issues that wouldnt change no matter which player is in.
Very well said and true.

i also think we haven’t taught backers much about getting off blocks or staying low. When I see 12 get blocked he is always straight up and it makes for easy target to block.

think there is some accuracy in this.

Article from the spring about Brian Newberry and Brian Norwood:

Navy's defense has jumped 85 spots in the rankings this season and Newberry is on the list for the Broyles Award, which goes to the top assistant coach in the nation.

i see way too much of guys taking on blocks to avoid the contact instead of taking it with the correct shoulder which may be more physical and get them blown up. if they would take on the block they may not make a play but it will fill the hole better and lead to less big plays even if they end up on the ground. we need more physical guys playing LB to slow teams like BC down

if we dont have that then we need to be more attacking, more confusing and less straight up

we seem to line up and seldp, try to make it hard for the line to know what the correct block to make is. i would rather put 2-3 more guys on the line and back them out than just get beat up 5 yds down field every play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom