Brilliant Nugget from Hackett re Tonight's Game | Syracusefan.com

Brilliant Nugget from Hackett re Tonight's Game

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
“We’ve got to be able to run right down their throats,” Hackett said. Barf...

Come on guys, I'm trying to eat breakfast here. We probably need to keep their offense off the field too.

Roll out Nassib to BOTH the left and right ad nauseum before he dumps it off to the tight end

If you've actually seen South Florida play this makes sense. Their pass rush is outstanding.

psst Hackett - you can't

I think after 9 games that's pretty well established. While I agree with you that would be nice and would really help - you can't. It's your job to figure out how to put up points despite the fact that you can't run right down their throats.

I look forward to seeing what alternatives you come up with.

If you've actually seen South Florida play this makes sense. Their pass rush is outstanding.
If so, and I am certainly not questioning your statement, then they will crush Ant like a bug (sorry, no pun intended). Got to find some other way to deflect the pass rush.

Running the ball tonight makes sense. Will the SU be able to get open? Will Nassib have time to throw? If SU can run the ball that will give the play action time to work along with holding onto the ball.

he's right. they don't believe in their qb. straight forward implication.

Maybe a qb that can run would help too!!! Marrone "it's in the gameplan" sure it is but can you execute it.

That's a quote that will make a Quarterback lacking confidence feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Hope it's a smokescreen. I know, wishful thinking...

This only makes sense if we could succcessfully run against 8-9 in the box defense. We can't. We need to employ an offense that opens up the field - think 1st Qtr against USC.

This only makes sense if we could succcessfully run against 8-9 in the box defense. We can't. We need to employ an offense that opens up the field - think 1st Qtr against USC.

I agree. However, tonight's matchup is bad all the way around. BJ Daniels is going to run wildcat right down our throats before we do it to them, and the USF defense is going to load up the box, stop our run and get to Nassib. Not only do I see USF getting off the snide tonight, I see them crushing us.

Ahhhh only 3 weeks ago I was pumped outta my mind about Syracuse football and the Buffalo Bills...now im dreading the weekend lol.

Maybe a qb that can run would help too!!! Marrone "it's in the gameplan" sure it is but can you execute it.
they're better at pattern recognition than ottogrotto. in order for nassib to succeed, we need to pick up massive yardage on the ground.

they're better at pattern recognition than ottogrotto. in order for nassib to succeed, we need to pick up massive yardage on the ground.

LOL, why not put Kinder in for a few series tonight and see if you can run the ball or how about letting Smith or Moore stay in for a series where they don't run the ball off center once and then back to the sideline, somewhere there is a great play action with those two out there, picturing Provo wide open on the seam route 25 yards down the field.. NEVERMIND. we need to run the ball.

Is there any chance the Colts staff gets fired and we can apologize to David Walker. Sorry we fired P can you come back and be the OC and help recruiting. He consistently brought good players to Pitt and couldn't be less creative than Hackett.

Another Hackett gem about this game:

"We’ve got to try to find a way to score points."

They have a plan, whatever it is, let's just wait and see how the game develops before the beheadings. Sometimes I think some of you get so worked up that once something does fail you feel justified and for some strange reason quite happy with yourselves because you "called it".

They have a plan, whatever it is, let's just wait and see how the game develops before the beheadings. Sometimes I think some of you get so worked up that once something does fail you feel justified and for some strange reason quite happy with yourselves because you "called it".

Or people are just having some fun bustin' balls on a Friday.

We've had 4 400 yard games since the beginning of 2010 (Holy crap that's bad. Averaging 400 (out of 22 games, 11 typically would be over 400) only puts you at 56th in the country) We're basically a third as likely to hit 400 yards as an average offense.

Rushing yardage in those games 202,249,259, and 194

Our top 4 passing games since then (318,275,260, and 258) only resulted in 354, 365, 338, and 331 total yards.

In our top 4 games 400+ yard games, we never threw for more than 250 (239, 249, 188, 229)

maybe someday we'll have an offense that doesn't require 200 yards on the ground to get to 400 total, but we don't have that offense now

True, very possible and it is nice to be talking football. I used to sit next to some guys and all they did was complain and say "Watch, SU will blow it" with their arms crossed and ready to bitch when something does go wrong while for some reason feeling justified that they were right all along. They never cheered, just watched and bitched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom