Brisett cannot throw it | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Brisett cannot throw it

Trying to think of a former CUSE player who regressed as much as OB in one season. Nothing coming up...

He's lost on offense.

At least we don't have to worry about the leaving early talk.

You wouldn’t want him to leave early? Why would you want him to stay so we just have to talk more next year?

If he goes to Vegas this Summer you already know where his head is at. If he's serious about taking that next step, he needs to stay in Syracuse with the staff.

OB is a talent that needs to either work on his shooting or hope he puts his degree to good use. There is zero, 0, no, nada, not in a million years chance he is ready for or would make the NBA now. I can however see him having a chance at playing overseas if he can find his shot.

In the proverbial ocean. Just brutal.
I know Boeheim has good reasons for everything he does. He's a very smart guy. Which is why I'm so confused that he continues to allow this.

Virginia played like a national champion last night - what can you do about that kind of shooting. But the stuff we can control baffles me. Brissett wastes so many possessions. You can see it before it happens, you know 90% of are saying oh shhh before his worst shots

He's shooting 10% from three since the end of January. STOP

His points per shot last 6 games is .77. He'd need to shoot 26 times to get to 20 pts.

You wouldn’t want him to leave early? Why would you want him to stay so we just have to talk more next year?

I never said what I wanted. I just said I’m not worried about it. If he goes he goes, next man up.

If he stays, I hope the expectations are lowered and that he develops and improves. Those two concepts are probably related.

After seeing the replay of what the officials were actually looking at, he should have been tossed. The only reason he wasn’t is probably because the kid on Virginia didn’t dive and roll around in agony.

Does anybody have a clip of this? We were totally in the dark in the Dome after one short replay and thought it was the worst call in the history of the world (next to no contact on the 'hook' and no elbow at all), so we obviously missed something very important if everybody agrees it was a dirty play.

After seeing the replay of what the officials were actually looking at, he should have been tossed. The only reason he wasn’t is probably because the kid on Virginia didn’t dive and roll around in agony.

You're 100% correct IMO. It was blatant, willful and a complete bush league move by Brissett. At halftime, Jay Williams kind of went off on it and how the refs indisputably got it wrong as no doubt it should've been a Flagrant 2. Both Jay and Seth Greenburg went on to say in the repeated reply how tough Jerome was as he barely even flinched at the haymaker elbow...interjecting words for Jerome, "that's all you got!"

Does anybody have a clip of this? We were totally in the dark in the Dome after one short replay and thought it was the worst call in the history of the world (next to no contact on the 'hook' and no elbow at all), so we obviously missed something very important if everybody agrees it was a dirty play.
it was an idiotic play. really dangerous and so stupid. i'm so tired of head case power forwards

Was before the hook. That's what makes it even funnier. Not only did he elbow him in the head, he also got called for a foul AFTER.

That sums up Oshae Brissett.

OB just isn’t a basketball player. He’s a great athlete that plays basketball. He’s totally lost his mojo and reminds me of Paul Harris our there

Was before the hook. That's what makes it even funnier. Not only did he elbow him in the head, he also got called for a foul AFTER.

That sums up Oshae Brissett.

lol...I know, if you're going to go with the sneaky elbow to the face at least open up some room to score. :(

OB just isn’t a basketball player. He’s a great athlete that plays basketball. He’s totally lost his mojo and reminds me of Paul Harris our there

I often think this...and then sometimes I think, well, he does have a better handle than our PG.

It’s always hard to judge intent in cases like this.

Based on the way Oshae shoots, if I had to guess, he was trying to nail Jerome right in teeth and barely grazed him.

He might be suspended.

It’s always hard to judge intent in cases like this.

Based on the way Oshae shoots, if I had to guess, he was trying to nail Jerome right in teeth and barely grazed him.

He might be suspended.

hahaha :)

Maybe he thought he had the ball...and that was a shot. We could easily defend him against a suspension. If we wanted to...

Definitely a shooting motion, no Flagrant 1 - he clearly had no intent!

We have hours, and hours, and hours of tape over two years showing him doing all sorts of strange things on the basketball court to support our case that he has no idea what his arms are doing at any given time.

Flagrant 1 and 2 fouls are assessed solely on contact without regard to a player’s intent, isn’t that correct?

If so it doesn’t look like he did anymore than graze him, if that. So Flagrant 1 at most.

If the rule involves an assessment of what OBs intent was, than its hard to argue that it was probably a Flagrant 2.

That said this is payback for the Duke elbow that knocked OB out of that game with no review even taking place.

Flagrant 1 and 2 fouls are assessed solely on contact without regard to a player’s intent, isn’t that correct?

If so it doesn’t look like he did anymore than graze him, if that. So Flagrant 1 at most.

If the rule involves an assessment of what OBs intent was, than its hard to argue that it was probably a Flagrant 2.

That said this is payback for the Duke elbow that knocked OB out of that game with no review even taking place.

From what I can tell, Rule 4, Section 15, Article 2 doesn't describe what the video shows: "A flagrant 1 personal foul is a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but is not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to causing excessive contact with an opponent, contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player..., pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score [BTW, why don't we see more clear-path transition flagrant calls based on this wording?], fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved with the play..., contact with a player making a throw-in, illegal contact caused by swinging of an elbow which is deemed excessive or unnecessary but does not rise to the level of a flagrant 2 personal foul."

See a commonality here? If there's no contact, I don't see how that was the correct call.

Flagrant 2 is much simpler - same criteria but contact is "not only excessive but also severe or extreme while the ball is live."

There are more technical classifications than any of us non-refs could've guessed:

(b)(1)Class A - unsportsmanlike conduct; examples given include profanity, taunting, baiting. (It's not included but I don't see why a missed deliberate elbow wouldn't fall under this violation.)
(b)(2)Class B - hanging on the rim. Unless your name is Terrance Roberts, this is never called. Thought #33 earned one of these last night.
(d)Flagrant 2 technical foul - "can be either contact or noncontact...(1)when the ball is dead and the contact is not only excessive but also severe and extreme...(2)when the ball is either live or dead and involves extreme, sometimes persistent, vulgar, abusive contact." I suppose this could arguably fall under the second of these.
(e)Contact dead ball technical foul - "occurs when the ball is dead and involves contact that is unnecessary, unacceptable, and excessive but does not rise to the level of a flagrant 2 contact technical foul." Nope.

Seems to me that this was a Class A tech. Same result, 2 shots and the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom