Brown and Williams at the Forwards... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Brown and Williams at the Forwards...

Why not start Brown and see what happens? We know what happens when we start Bell; a few 3's if we are lucky, and an occasional show of athleticism, but absolutely no rebounds, assists, steals, free throws or blocks. Strange player. Anyone playing foward knows that rebounding is a requisite. What is holding him back? Was he injured in the past?

I would tell coach that whatever brown doesn’t show in practice must not be pertinent to actually winning real games. So I don’t care what it is he lacks there
To be fair, I think what JB is actually thinking with these guys is that he needs offense. We have almost no shooting outside of JGII (and even that has been perilous at times) so I think he's trying to get Bell going and giving Taylor plenty of opportunity as well (even though everyone is quick to pounce after one game of Taylor not playing a bunch of minutes). People here will criticize him here because, well, it's everyone's favorite past time, but that's absolutely the right way to play it.

But as for Brown, he obviously doesn't help with shooting and his scoring may come and go a bit. That said, I think it's clear Brown is the best basketball player of the freshmen forward/bigs. I'm not sure it's even remotely close. I like Taylor for the future, but Brown is better right now. Bell, jury is out a bit. So I think as the year goes on, Brown will force his way into the lineup especially since he may offer a bit more overall than JBA at least in certain matchups.

Brown deserves to start. Period.

Problem is, he and Benny don't provide much shooting, so that would be a challenging combo to have on the floor together.

But overall, I don't expect JB to tinker with the starting lineup much. But Brown needs to play more. He's just too good not to.
I agree with this. I think Brown should start but I actually don't mind him off the bench b/c I think you have to try and find some shooting. That said, he's got to be in the heavy rotation each game. Impressed with Benny's jumper for the past couple weeks. Not exactly pretty, per se, but looks far better than it did for a year-plus.

God that sentence is depressing. (not directed towards you obviously)

They lost to Princeton by 37 just 48 hours before our game.
But we're not a very good nor very talented team. I mean, that's just the deal. There aren't many gimmes here.

To be fair, I think what JB is actually thinking with these guys is that he needs offense. We have almost no shooting outside of JGII (and even that has been perilous at times) so I think he's trying to get Bell going and giving Taylor plenty of opportunity as well (even though everyone is quick to pounce after one game of Taylor not playing a bunch of minutes). People here will criticize him here because, well, it's everyone's favorite past time, but that's absolutely the right way to play it.

But as for Brown, he obviously doesn't help with shooting and his scoring may come and go a bit. That said, I think it's clear Brown is the best basketball player of the freshmen forward/bigs. I'm not sure it's even remotely close. I like Taylor for the future, but Brown is better right now. Bell, jury is out a bit. So I think as the year goes on, Brown will force his way into the lineup especially since he may offer a bit more overall than JBA at least in certain matchups.
I agree—JB is looking for balance on the offense, wanting to be sure there are enough shooters, and Brown is a negative in that aspect. The counter argument is that he still scores and points scored when there aren’t an abundance of 3pt snipers are still just as valuable. We’ve had guys like Josh Pace who succeeded and made us better but never took shots that really benefitted us ‘spacing-wise.’

I‘m not sure I see a detriment to Joe or Judah’s games when Brown is in. They make plays because Brown creates opportunities for himself without demanding the ball. Judah can work off Brown, because he’s available as a secondary option when Judah drives. Brown converts.

Our best lineup doesn’t have to be the most balanced or traditional. That said, i’m also not sure it’s necessary to start Brown, but i think it makes more sense to have him playing more minutes than Bell. Bell can continue to start. If he’s hitting shots and getting an occasional rebound, great. If he’s not an immediate offensive impact, let Brown have the Lion’s share of those minutes.

And after posting, I see that billsin01 was posting the exact same things while I was still pecking away on my iPad….

I agree—JB is looking for balance on the offense, wanting to be sure there are enough shooters, and Brown is a negative in that aspect. The counter argument is that he still scores and points scored when there aren’t an abundance of 3pt snipers are still just as valuable. We’ve had guys like Josh Pace who succeeded and made us better but never took shots that really benefitted us ‘spacing-wise.’

I‘m not sure I see a detriment to Joe or Judah’s games when Brown is in. They make plays because Brown creates opportunities for himself without demanding the ball. Judah can work off Brown, because he’s available as a secondary option when Judah drives. Brown converts.

Our best lineup doesn’t have to be the most balanced or traditional. That said, i’m also not sure it’s necessary to start Brown, but i think it makes more sense to have him playing more minutes than Bell. Bell can continue to start. If he’s hitting shots and getting an occasional rebound, great. If he’s not an immediate offensive impact, let Brown have the Lion’s share of those minutes.

And after posting, I see that billsin01 was posting the exact same things while I was still pecking away on my iPad….
Agree. My guess is the answer is to play brown more but still try to figure out something for a few more weeks with Taylor/Bell -- or maybe one or the other. Another shooter would unquestionably help things. But the bottom line is Brown's role should be expanding.

Agreed. Sure it would be great if we could have a few more dead eye shooters to spread things out. But that comes at a cost. The cost here? Pretty much every other aspect of the game. The net positives of brown being out there outweighs the benefits of more empty “shooting”

UNC plays this style, 4 rebounders and a shooter. SU plays about as well as they do right now. The O rebound percentage is about identical and that's with at least two Syracuse players not trying to rebound. Put Brown in there to grab 4-6 extra points from bunnies ...

Last edited:
Coleman / Owens
HAK / Melo

Bell / Benny /brown

Something just seems different about 1 of these groups
One difference that stands out is the third group of names all begin with "B"!!

JOKE,

Why not start Brown and see what happens? We know what happens when we start Bell; a few 3's if we are lucky, and an occasional show of athleticism, but absolutely no rebounds, assists, steals, free throws or blocks. Strange player. Anyone playing foward knows that rebounding is a requisite. What is holding him back? Was he injured in the past?
I tend to agree if for nothing more than we have started "too slowly" in the last several games! Make a change that doesn't involve Jesse, Joe or Judah.

We have no way of proving this, but the fact Bell starts and gets such a long leash compared to some other players makes me wonder if JB is concerned he'd be the guy to most likely transfer if he doesn't play. No doubt Brown is more effective and Taylor is probably better all around than Bell, but that's just an assumption by me.

I think I’m watching a different, better Justin Taylor then other Syracuse fans
I see someone who legit looks lost every time he steps on the court until he catches and shoots.

We have no way of proving this, but the fact Bell starts and gets such a long leash compared to some other players makes me wonder if JB is concerned he'd be the guy to most likely transfer if he doesn't play. No doubt Brown is more effective and Taylor is probably better all around than Bell, but that's just an assumption by me.
Maybe. I gotta say if that’s the case….who cares? He can shoot, but is hardly a unique and special talent. You could get 50 guys in the portal that are better.

God that sentence is depressing. (not directed towards you obviously)

They lost to Princeton by 37 just 48 hours before our game.
The Monmouth maulers.

Maybe. I gotta say if that’s the case….who cares? He can shoot, but is hardly a unique and special talent. You could get 50 guys in the portal that are better.

Especially since the guy's at the beginning of his freshman year.

Just looking for a reason. JB must see something in him that he likes long term. I do think he eventually will be a good to great college scorer. Whether that happens here or not remains to be seen, but could be the reason why he gets a longer leash than he deserves.

It's the only thing that makes sense why he plays this much. He’s been our worst player out of the 10 scholarship players who have played significant minutes.

Just looking for a reason. JB must see something in him that he likes long term. I do think he eventually will be a good to great college scorer. Whether that happens here or not remains to be seen, but could be the reason why he gets a longer leash than he deserves.

It's the only thing that makes sense why he plays this much. He’s been our worst player out of the 10 scholarship players who have played significant minutes.
JB said pre-season there's two incoming freshmen, ranked around 50 and 80, who are future NBA players. Matching everything up, he was referring to Mintz and Bell.

A
Agree. My guess is the answer is to play brown more but still try to figure out something for a few more weeks with Taylor/Bell -- or maybe one or the other. Another shooter would unquestionably help things. But the bottom line is Brown's role should be expanding.
Agree... Figure out how you can factor them in. They may not get the minutes, but there's a whole hell of a lot to build on. Another poster pointed out, there skill set's may be needed depending on games and situations. I for one, really like the pieces on the roster.

JB said pre-season there's two incoming freshmen, ranked around 50 and 80, who are future NBA players. Matching everything up, he was referring to Mintz and Bell.
Mintz is an NBA possibility if he improves his three point shooting, Bell regretfully has shown nothing to make anybody believe he has a future in the league.

Mintz is an NBA possibility if he improves his three point shooting, Bell regretfully has shown nothing to make anybody believe he has a future in the league.
I think it's too early to write Bell off. He could develop into a decent rebounder and defender in 2 to 3 years. Jesse was not impressive as a freshman but now there's talk of him getting drafted. Ethan Thomas didn't look anything close to a pro his freshman year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom