Bruce Feldman talking Dino Babers. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bruce Feldman talking Dino Babers.

I mentioned it in another thread. We are investing in the program. Wait until what is announced this year for football. Game. Changer.

He just signed an extension. If he leaves, we are covered financially. He’s shown that this can be a good to great job.

(I think had they fired their HC after last season or mid-season, we’d have been in a much worse position)
Dino Babers, IMO, is far more loyal to Syracuse N.Y., his players, community, his commitment to developing this program into “a consistent winner”, has just signed a new contract that will keep him here for some time to come and an AD who listens to him, gets it and has Dino's back OR haven't you been listening? At 58, HCDB has much more to accomplish to reach goals he set for himself and the university. Observing him since he's been here, Dino is not one of those who are “all about the money” he's all about making us great. Also, JW is a very intelligent man who sees an accomplished coach on the rise and I'll bet the contract Dino signed is significant in its value and length. I say Dino is here for the long term. GOSU!

Dino Babers, IMO, is far more loyal to Syracuse N.Y., his players, community, his commitment to developing this program into “a consistent winner”, has just signed a new contract that will keep him here for some time to come and an AD who listens to him, gets it and has Dino's back OR haven't you been listening? At 58, HCDB has much more to accomplish to reach goals he set for himself and the university. Observing him since he's been here, Dino is not one of those who are “all about the money” he's all about making us great. Also, JW is a very intelligent man who sees an accomplished coach on the rise and I'll bet the contract Dino signed is significant in its value and length. I say Dino is here for the long term. GOSU!
I think being around during Coach Mac's passing and seeing how beloved he was in the community made a huge impact on him. Returning SU Football to prominence and doing it the right way over a long period leaving it in good hands is what kind of legacy Dino wants to leave. To come in and then leave before he has established a life long foundation to chase prestige and money just doesn't seem to me what he is all about.

I think being around during Coach Mac's passing and seeing how beloved he was in the community made a huge impact on him. Returning SU Football to prominence and doing it the right way over a long period leaving it in good hands is what kind of legacy Dino wants to leave. To come in and then leave before he has established a life long foundation to chase prestige and money just doesn't seem to me what he is all about.
From your lips...

First you say you say you have no clue then proceed to say they thought they were a sleeping giant.

Also, there is revisionist history everywhere I go (not just your post or just this board) that the spending/investment created tailwinds for the Dabo era success. Reality is that Dabo’s winning (and overall culture) created the tailwinds for increased investment (which in turn took the program up even another level).

This is what makes me so bullish on Dino in that I think his winning will create a willingness for investment (by administration & donors) but also the culture in which he is building his program is a turbo booster to investment. People like to give to things that are not only successful but also make them “feel good” about.

Well, I said “probably”, and I did just spend three days in Hilton Head; doesn’t that make me in expert on the psyche of Clempson fans. ;)

Ask gbo ?

Winning some big recruiting battles will help keep Dino here long term. I mean we just have to be prepared for this to be one of the first things mentioned when we are talked about as long as we keep playing at a high level. It's going to happen we just have to accept it at this point.

Expecting Dino to stay here long term is like expecting Melo to come back for his sophomore year. He wants to be in the mix for a national title and coach at the highest level. If the right opportunity opens for him he will take it. The resurgence is awesome. It’s not the apex for Dino.

Expecting Dino to stay here long term is like expecting Melo to come back for his sophomore year. He wants to be in the mix for a national title and coach at the highest level. If the right opportunity opens for him he will take it. The resurgence is awesome. It’s not the apex for Dino.

Maybe. But maybe not. What does that say about you?

Hate to say but I think Dino is gone if the CUSE have another double digit win season. A school like Auburn would be a logical choice but USC seems to be the one that worries me the most. CUSE will not be able to pay Dino what the other powers will and this includes most of his assistants who will leave with him. Another school where I think he would leave for is Arizona for Kevin Sumlin is on the hot seat in the desert. I hope this won't happen but when millions are thrown out there, you never know. Here's to a great 2019 season and Go Orange!

Why would Auburn be logical? :confused:

To be so close to beating Clemson two years in a row when Clemson are in Championships and now being considered to be second in the ACC may just be a hint on how close he thinks he is for a title at the highest level...

How do you know that this is the apex for Dino at Syracuse? He hasn't even played his QB full time yet.

Maybe. But maybe not. What does that say about you?

Idk. He’s ambitious and relishes the chance to apply his system with the best possible players and resources. I think it’s fairly logical to presume he will take a better job.

Idk. He’s ambitious and relishes the chance to apply his system with the best possible players and resources. I think it’s fairly logical to presume he will take a better job.

FYI - I didn't say this, no idea why that quoted me...

Also, there are a lot of factors you're leaving out. Many have been discussed previously, but here's a quick list off the top of my head:

- Not having to deal with donors that are expecting special privileges due to the money they give to the program
- Not having unrealistic expectations placed on you early on in your tenure, or even in the middle of your tenure
- Controlled environment (Dome) for home games that plays perfectly with the offensive system he plays
- Enhanced controlled environment in the next 2-3 years (Dome renovation)
- Playing in the same league as one of the two best teams in college football

Again, there are many more, but I think you're severely underselling what Syracuse has to offer. Especially to a 58-year head coach who has belief in himself and his system, and has been at many, many other places along the way.

How do you know that this is the apex for Dino at Syracuse? He hasn't even played his QB full time yet.

I didn’t say this was the apex for Dino at Syracuse. I said coaching at Syracuse isn’t the apex for Dino.

There seems to be a lot of people on this thread that seem to have insight on how Dino thinks...based on his excellent PR skills and some orange-colored glasses.

Clearly “leaving” threads will be at an all-time high throughout the next five months. I hope we have another year like last year; undefeated at the Dome (yep) and 3-4 losses. We should want people to want our coach, and Wildhack/the Trustees seem to be more than capable of being $upportive in a number of ways. Whether that will be strong enough potential major on the west coast, no one knows.

But maybe we stop posts where we pretend to know what Dino thinks? Fairly certain nearly none of us (myself 100% included) haven’t a true sense..

Here is what we know. He was raised in a military family. Moving frequently is in his DNA. He has moved an enormous amount of times during his coaching career. He lived and played in Hawaii. His phrases are west coast. Ohana isnt a Pizza from the Varsity.
Dino is a west coast guy. Now that doesn't mean that he would leave but if he gets offered the USC job its going to be very difficult to keep him.

In what way?
I don't think he believes this is an all me ascension. The people, resources, community, university all have provided the foundation for him to succeed. And I think he's appreciative. Going to USC or Auburn doesn't automatically provide him with all those ingredients he has now. In fact its a downgrade in many cases. He'll have to start over again and possibly endure more 4-8 seasons that he doesn't want. Losing is tough on one's psyche.

If they offer him, he goes. And we take the buyout and get the best up and comer, with charsima and an appreciation for strength and conditioning.

FWIW, I don't think he leaves SU to be second fiddle anywhere. He'll only go somewhere he can win a Natty, and that's relatively few schools given recent hiring trends (Bama/Clemson, Auburn, USC).

I used to think our ceiling here was Northwestern, but now I think Baylor may be the better comp (without the ugliness of course). He'll have to recruit a bit better to hit Baylor status though - we haven't had the talent they did when they were really rolling. The schedule sets up nicely through 2021. After 2021 is when I'd really worry.

Our ceiling is National Champions. Seriously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom