Bruce Feldman talking Dino Babers. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Bruce Feldman talking Dino Babers.

Expecting Dino to stay here long term is like expecting Melo to come back for his sophomore year. He wants to be in the mix for a national title and coach at the highest level. If the right opportunity opens for him he will take it. The resurgence is awesome. It’s not the apex for Dino.

Dino is in the mix already, with players that were not his, who beat VATech, and then beat Clemson, and then took Clemson to final series, and he is just now getting into his recruits. Now sure why he would be in such a hurry to leave. SU is supporting him. Fans are supporting him. He is coaching at a high level against loaded teams. He will win recruiting battles once kids see more of him.

Auburn is known as a dirty school in every way, no class. Dino will not consider Auburn.

Agreed

He's been waiting for his chance and now that he has it, he's going to build something that is his legacy
Like Coach Mac he has the ability to make himself HoF material in Syracuse with an extended stint. He is already beloved by the community and he could very well stay here 10 more years as HC. I think his next move post Cuse is working in TV as an analyst and spending time visiting his kids.

If he leaves I'd imagine SU has $5-7M from the buyout to fund another highly thought of coach and staff.
I'm not losing sleep over this. I don't think he is leaving.

Winning some big recruiting battles will help keep Dino here long term. I mean we just have to be prepared for this to be one of the first things mentioned when we are talked about as long as we keep playing at a high level. It's going to happen we just have to accept it at this point.

IMO the 2 biggest questions going forward that haven’t been answered for him about the SU job yet are 1) can he start getting top recruits that he wants to come to SU and 2) can we get the Dome consistently filled and create an awesome home environment that is very unique.

I believe the university has started to show a solid commitment and that is a huge step. If his contract is comparable to top 15-35 coaches or so I think he’s ok. I feel that commitment to facilities and $ for his staff are big factors for him and I believe we are heading in the right direction here. While our facilities are never going to be top 10 quality as long as we invest and compete with our peers we should be good. We have seen support staff positions increase and I’m sure the assistant $ pool has increased as well which is great.

Like I mentioned above imo there are two big question marks that could play a big part in how he sees his tenure. The crowds are looking like that should be taken care of as well based on ticket sales etc so hopefully this will be a non issue. I think this is important to him because he understands that having that home environment consistently is something that is going to get us to the next level and compete with the top tier programs annually. Winning is a big factor with attendance and we seem to be bucking the national trend because of the excitement so hopefully we can keep it going.

That leaves the biggest question in that can he start bringing in the big fish like anomander mentioned. We can talk all we want about how we develop talent and how our staff has an eye for talent but they still miss on a lot of 4 star level guys that they’d prefer. Historically we have never recruited at a high level consistently and I’m not sure if we can based on many of the factors discussed ad nauseam so we’ll see. Ofcourse he’d never admit it publicly but I can’t see him staying long run if he isn’t consistently pulling in top 20 level classes. He is so competitive that if we are consistently losing high ranked recruits that we covet to programs that he sees as inferior then it’ll be viewed as a detriment to the SU job. Im assuming he’s wanting to be on a level playing field. Hopefully by putting together a couple solid winning seasons back to back we can get that recruiting to the next level (top 25ish consistently at a minimum) and this will be a non issue.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I think Dino is able to see what he has quickly done here at Syracuse and is sick of being a journeyman. He is in one of the best football conferences, and tbe community loves him. His family is happy here. Let's all chill out. We might be the perfect place for him to retire.

Bruce Feldman’s opinion really means zilch to me here...

DB just signed an extension.

Money is coming into the program.

We’re less than three weeks away from kickoff.

This stuff won’t even enter my mind until after we win the National Championship this year.

Bruce Feldman’s opinion really means zilch to me here...

DB just signed an extension.

Money is coming into the program.

We’re less than three weeks away from kickoff.

This stuff won’t even enter my mind until after we win the National Championship this year.

Exactly. I'd rather live in the moment and enjoy it.

Our ceiling is National Champions. Seriously.
I really want to roll my eyes at this, but it’s honestly true.

After Clemson, Bama and Georgia, everyone else is on a drastically lower playing field.

We have a lot of ground to make up to get to OSU, ND, OU level (and I doubt we ever get there consistently) however under Dino, in the ACC, we can get there every once in a while.

...but once you get “there” (CFP) once, who knows what happens to the program after.

Last edited:
Here is what we know. He was raised in a military family. Moving frequently is in his DNA. He has moved an enormous amount of times during his coaching career. He lived and played in Hawaii. His phrases are west coast. Ohana isnt a Pizza from the Varsity.
Dino is a west coast guy. Now that doesn't mean that he would leave but if he gets offered the USC job its going to be very difficult to keep him.

You might be right, but armchair psychology doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Nobody knows what Dino will do, or what evaluative criteria he'll prioritize.

Idk. He’s ambitious and relishes the chance to apply his system with the best possible players and resources. I think it’s fairly logical to presume he will take a better job.

Its logical. What also is logical is to presume that you arent dino and dont know precisely how he feels on the multitude of factors that weigh on such a decision. Thats all I was saying.

Its logical. What also is logical is to presume that you arent dino and dont know precisely how he feels on the multitude of factors that weigh on such a decision. Thats all I was saying.

Agreed, Just have to let the season play out. What happens, happens. Absolutely nobody here knows but Dino would be one of the very very very few if he turned down a job at a bigger school for a lot more $$. It doesn't happen very often.

I still think he stays unless they offer him over 10 mill. Everything there cost double and triple what we pay here. 7 mill looks great on paper but it don’t go far there. Now 10 mill that makes u wonder but I doubt that he leaves. He has something here. I hope to hell he stays but I’m getting ready for now not 2-4 yrs from now.

i think it would be hard for him to pass up USC. Ideal conditions for all his home games and most of his away games. Access to all the speed and talent he could ever want. Not to mention a cake walk through the PAC most years and a shot at the playoff. More money for him and his assistant can’t hurt either.

I think at the end of the year there will be better jobs than USC open, and I too think that will be Meyer's. Sadly we are a school that would get poached by a bigger fish, it is why the AD better be good.

Here is what we know. He was raised in a military family. Moving frequently is in his DNA. He has moved an enormous amount of times during his coaching career. He lived and played in Hawaii. His phrases are west coast. Ohana isnt a Pizza from the Varsity.
Dino is a west coast guy. Now that doesn't mean that he would leave but if he gets offered the USC job its going to be very difficult to keep him.

I get it that he was born and raised in Hawaii but I don't get why he's considered to be a 'west coast' guy. He's coached 19 years or so anywhere but the west coast and if you remove Arizona the number goes up to about 25 years. Arizona is west coast as much as Ohio is east coast. just my opinion.

And I never said that I precisely knew all those things (or that I was Dino). Just my opinion based on general knowledge of his aspirations and the landscape of college football.

You might be right, but armchair psychology doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Nobody knows what Dino will do, or what evaluative criteria he'll prioritize.
Exactly. Just because he grew up a certain way doesn't mean he is destined to maintain that way of living forever. Sometimes people want exactly the opposite. People raised in rural areas move to the city. People from the north move south. He may be ready to put down roots. Like you said, nobody knows.

I personally do not think he will leave but if he does, it will not be for money. It will be for location & family.

I think SC will be better, but that a number of boosters want Helton replaced regardless.

Babers is very good for Syracuse, and Syracuse not being the patsy it had been for so long is good for ACC football. So figure out how to keep him.

Why would Auburn be logical? :confused:
Auburn boosters are crazy. They judge everything by Bama. if Bama wins the National Championship or the SEC title, they start wondering when they should replace their head coach. So Malzahn is on the Hot Seat. And many of those Auburn boosters would see Babers as a good bet because they think it is next to impossible to win at Syracuse. If Babers could do that up there, then surely at Auburn he could destroy Saban and Bama.

Here is the reason I would not want any part of the Auburn job: Tommy Tuberville beat Bama 6 consecutive years. When he lost to Bama, his seat immediately became Hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom