Bruce Feldman talking Dino Babers. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Bruce Feldman talking Dino Babers.

No point in hand-wringing over what Babers might do, anyone who has followed college football knows how this will likely play out. If Dino and SU have another good to great season a big time program will come calling whether its the end of this season or next. Even if SU falls back a bit and goes .500 or 7-5 an upper echelon team might try and make a move. Once that happens one of four scenarios will play out.

1. SU will have done enough to keep Babers in the fold and the increased attendance and upgragdes to the Dome are enough for him to turn the pursuing team down and stay with perhaps a slight raise from SU.

2. Babers gets an offer and is prepared to leave for USC or whoever and SU makes a counter offer as close as they can get but not exactly matching dollars. Decision falls on Babers.

3. Same scenario as above but SU offers dollar for dollar for him to stay (unlikely to be honest but its possible) again Babers has to make a decision but this time money is equal

4. Same as 2 and 3 but SU decides not to try and offer more money for whatever reason and the search for a new coach is on.

Right now SU is doing everything I think they can (within reason) to try and keep Babers here. The Dome upgrade is finally moving ahead, Babers got a raise, more money for assistants and SU has made a concerted effort to increase attendance which we know was one of the few things that irked Babers. SU has also moved away from stuff Babers doesn't like ie Fan fest and large spring games etc. Some people might not like that but if that helps keep Babers I am all for it. All that being said if USC comes calling at 7 mill a year + its going to be tough for SU to get him to stay and that is just the reality of the situation.

Last edited:
I think at his age and what's he's done at SU the only team he leaves for is USC. I don't think he's wandering into the SEC cesspool.

At a certain point in your career, stability and job security matters. Dino is in his 50s, and this could be his last job. He's never getting fired from Syracuse. If he goes to USC or one of the SEC teams, he gets 3 years, max. He might win at one of those schools for the next 10 years, but he has long-term job security here, and he has just as much chance to play in the College Playoffs as anywhere else.

After this year's national championship win, Feldman will be arguing why Syracuse is a great place to coach, how it's become a football town again and why Syracuse and Babers are a match made in heaven.

Before all that, let's first take care of Liberty, then go from there.

Auburn boosters are crazy. They judge everything by Bama. if Bama wins the National Championship or the SEC title, they start wondering when they should replace their head coach. So Malzahn is on the Hot Seat. And many of those Auburn boosters would see Babers as a good bet because they think it is next to impossible to win at Syracuse. If Babers could do that up there, then surely at Auburn he could destroy Saban and Bama.

Here is the reason I would not want any part of the Auburn job: Tommy Tuberville beat Bama 6 consecutive years. When he lost to Bama, his seat immediately became Hot.

Auburn would be illogical for Babers. It's not even remotely logical for someone like Babers.

Clay Helton makes 3.8 mil a year...just saying.

This. I think jumping from 3.8 to 7+ is enormous.

Chris Peterson is the top paid HC in the Pac 12. This is his breakdown:

National Salary Rank: 19th

School Pay: $4,375,000

Total Pay: $4,375,000

Max Bonus: $1,050,000

Bonuses Paid (2017/18): $300,000

School Buyout as of 12/1/18: $26,354,166

That is what I'd expect USC to try and shell out.

This. I think jumping from 3.8 to 7+ is enormous.

Chris Peterson is the top paid HC in the Pac 12. This is his breakdown:

National Salary Rank: 19th

School Pay: $4,375,000

Total Pay: $4,375,000

Max Bonus: $1,050,000

Bonuses Paid (2017/18): $300,000

School Buyout as of 12/1/18: $26,354,166

That is what I'd expect USC to try and shell out.

And cuse could match this.

Im guessing dino has an 8 figure buyout. Would be interesting to know.

And cuse could match this.

Im guessing dino has an 8 figure buyout. Would be interesting to know.

Syracuse could absolutely match this, IMO.

And should. Unless things get totally out of whack and schools that are lower on the list make a concerted effort to poach him with a crazy high salary, the only schools I'd be concerned about -- if it were only about money -- would be SEC schools.

All other schools I truly believe we could and would match.

At a certain point in your career, stability and job security matters. Dino is in his 50s, and this could be his last job. He's never getting fired from Syracuse. If he goes to USC or one of the SEC teams, he gets 3 years, max. He might win at one of those schools for the next 10 years, but he has long-term job security here, and he has just as much chance to play in the College Playoffs as anywhere else.

Guys are getting HIRED at 70+, he could have three jobs between now and then

Yup I Guarantee you that Babers is enough of a math guy to do the NPV value and not just look at the next year, next couple of years. NPV would be higher here even with the most conservative estimates

This doesn’t doesn’t even include the cost of living adjustment. $500k house in cny would be $5mm EASY in SoCal

Successful people don’t think like that. They account for everyone else to fail but themselves.

I mentioned it in another thread. We are investing in the program. Wait until what is announced this year for football. Game. Changer.
At least tell us WHEN we should expect an announcement. You're pretty much going all in on whatever this is supposed to be. If this isn't something HUUUUGE, you're going to be tarred and feathered. Then drawn and quartered. At least throw us a BONE here. A hint. A clue. A generalization. SOMETHING.

At least tell us WHEN we should expect an announcement. You're pretty much going all in on whatever this is supposed to be. If this isn't something HUUUUGE, you're going to be tarred and feathered. Then drawn and quartered. At least throw us a BONE here. A hint. A clue. A generalization. SOMETHING.

It's kind of ironic that you are talking about tarring and feather a poster for their take.

FWIW, I can tell you that whobut03 is a great guy with a very good source.

Successful people don’t think like that. They account for everyone else to fail but themselves.

And TRULY successful people know when it's time to take their money off the table and cash out.

By that, I mean Dino can write his own ticket here, within reason, and stay forever, with a very affordable cost of living, excellent facilities and a good product to sell to recruits.

Dino seems to really appreciate the history.

It's like Liverpool with Klopp - they are a legendary team, but haven't won a Premier League title in 30 years. Klopp said to his team, "when you win here, you will be legends."

That's exactly what Dino was saying to the Dungey Team that won 10 games last year - they will be legends, and certainly Dungey has already attained that status.

I think Dino thinks of this as a destination job, once he gets everything in place (attendance, Dome make-over, etc.).

I mentioned it in another thread. We are investing in the program. Wait until what is announced this year for football. Game. Changer.

Thanks for sharing

giphy.gif

when should we expect the announcement? season is only a couple of weeks away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom