Bruce Feldman talking Dino Babers. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Bruce Feldman talking Dino Babers.

There seems to be a lot of people on this thread that seem to have insight on how Dino thinks...based on his excellent PR skills and some orange-colored glasses.

Clearly “leaving” threads will be at an all-time high throughout the next five months. I hope we have another year like last year; undefeated at the Dome (yep) and 3-4 losses. We should want people to want our coach, and Wildhack/the Trustees seem to be more than capable of being $upportive in a number of ways. Whether that will be strong enough potential major on the west coast, no one knows.

But maybe we stop posts where we pretend to know what Dino thinks? Fairly certain nearly none of us (myself 100% included) haven’t a true sense..
You hope we have 3-4 losses? You're quite the optimist.:rolleyes:

I mentioned it in another thread. We are investing in the program. Wait until what is announced this year for football. Game. Changer.
Is it a new glute-ham machine? Those things are the bomb.

I mentioned it in another thread. We are investing in the program. Wait until what is announced this year for football. Game. Changer.

Excited to hear. Roughly any idea when this or these announcements will be made? Trickle out through the year? Begging/End? Greatly appreciate the info regardless

My guess is new athlete dorms/facilities for the football team.
That’s a pretty good guess. But I think he did say that the fans would also be excited about this. Don’t get me wrong the dorms are an issue that needs to be sorely addressed but I don’t see the average fan really appreciating or feeling that impact.

Now if this was tied to the Sheraton being turned into a first-class athletes only residence and “lifestyle” center AND - to replace the Sheraton - they announce the construction of a 20-story, state of the art Marriott hotel on the west wing of the dome with an attached restaurant/bar/entertainment venue for fans/alumni... now that would be a game changer for all parties.

Edit: I revisited the initial proclamation and i just had to repost it here because I can’t recall anything in this forum’s history that was laced with such anticipation and hype:

Regarding facilities... I think this fall Syracuse football fans will be ECSTATIC with what will be announced... and I mean not able to contain themselves... Calling it a "game changer" is putting it very lightly...

Last edited:
I seem to remember something about...
  • we have nowhere to go in the Atlantic division
  • can't recruit skill players in cold snowy Syracuse
  • the facilities are not comparable
  • SU will never pay up for a HC
  • Blah blah
  • Blah blah blah
  • Yadda yadda yadda
The job was made for this coach. It will take a LOT to get him out of here. A LOT.
LGO

I seem to remember something about...
  • we have nowhere to go in the Atlantic division
  • can't recruit skill players in cold snowy Syracuse
  • the facilities are not comparable
  • SU will never pay up for a HC
  • Blah blah
  • Blah blah blah
  • Yadda yadda yadda
The job was made for this coach. It will take a LOT to get him out of here. A LOT.
LGO

Breaking news: there just may be some attractive situations that have A LOT. If not MORE. With a little AND THEN SOME.

Can’t wait until the season starts.

Not everyone chases money exclusively. I have a good gig at a small/medium business, but could certainly be making more elsewhere. Is the extra money worth:
  • Any additional commute burden? (I'm 15 minutes from the office in a suburb of Atlanta, all on side streets).
  • Degraded personnel/culture? It's easier to control the quality of the people at a small/medium business.
  • Lesser benefits? We have a very generous package - our total compensation offsets the non-aggressive salary stance.
  • Work/life balance concerns? Miss a half day because of unforeseen stuff with your 3-year-old? No problem. No PTO needed.
  • Casual work environment? We can wear shorts and t-shirts year-round.
  • Flex hours and work from home as needed (as long as you don't abuse it).

Come up with your own list of non-salary benefits for the Syracuse job. I'm not saying that we can't be competitive with any reasonable job offer, but there are definitely some perqs that would appeal to rational people not irrationally chasing salary $ to the exclusion of all else.

You can "be the alpha" at Cuse, but not at a factory.

Not everyone chases money exclusively. I have a good gig at a small/medium business, but could certainly be making more elsewhere. Is the extra money worth:
  • Any additional commute burden? (I'm 15 minutes from the office in a suburb of Atlanta, all on side streets).
  • Degraded personnel/culture? It's easier to control the quality of the people at a small/medium business.
  • Lesser benefits? We have a very generous package - our total compensation offsets the non-aggressive salary stance.
  • Work/life balance concerns? Miss a half day because of unforeseen stuff with your 3-year-old? No problem. No PTO needed.
  • Casual work environment? We can wear shorts and t-shirts year-round.
  • Flex hours and work from home as needed (as long as you don't abuse it).
Come up with your own list of non-salary benefits for the Syracuse job. I'm not saying that we can't be competitive with any reasonable job offer, but there are definitely some perqs that would appeal to rational people not irrationally chasing salary $ to the exclusion of all else.

You can "be the alpha" at Cuse, but not at a factory.

Great post.

A few positives being the Syracuse HC:

• Living in CNY, which is one of the lowest costs of living in the US. Sure, property taxes and state income taxes are a drag, but actual outlay of cash is far, far cheaper than living in the majority of larger cities/regions elsewhere (see LA, Austin, Miami, etc).

• Low pressure work environment gives you the time and support to fully build and develop your football program at your own pace. For as much as we all would love to dream of an annual CFP berth, winning 8-9 games per year, with a 10-12 win season baked in every few years would more than suffice. Any "bigger" job would come with steep pressure from alum, donors and the fanbase.

• Playing a run and gun offensive scheme in a controlled environment (The Dome). This entirely rules out having to play in "2 feet of snow", which is used as a negative recruiting tool against us. On Saturdays in the fall inside a dome takes weather right out of the mix and gives you the benefit that you absolutely know what you're getting from a game-planning lens. Oh yeah, something about a massive Dome renovation with state-of-the-art technology and amenities won't hurt, either. In a couple years, the Dome is going to be a tourist attraction.

• Recruiting. I cannot stand hearing how we're at a massive disadvantage when it comes to recruiting. In the Northeast, we're dealing with very few schools for the majority of players we actually pursue. Sure, the big boys come knocking when there is an elite prospect, but for the most part, we're in a good position to win many of the those battles moving forward against the Pitt, BC, WF and Rutgers of the world. Sprinkle in a win every so often (eventually) against Penn St, along with the continued success we've had in FL and DMV, and we will be fine. Canada could turn out to be a major source of talent. There's a boatload of athletes up there who often don't even get a look. We're the closest school to home for anyone from Toronto to Montreal. Dino had his first neck-turning season last year, he tacks one or more of those on, kids are going to start paying attention. GameDay (fingers crossed) will help a ton with that.

• A sleeping fanbase that is slowly starting to waken. It's been many, many years since we've fielded consistently good teams year over year. Nearly 20 years after the McNabb days, we might finally have the guy who can return us to the glory days of packed Domes and absurd loudness. Talk about a home field advantage when you can't hear the person next to you on 3rd downs? Wow. Take a look at the last 10 months... Dino wins 10 games last year, brings us to a bowl in Orlando that is mobbed with rabid ORANGE shirts in the crowd and now is on the verge of a juiced Dome atmosphere again. New season ticket sales have soared, renewals were at a healthy clip and there's a buzz around town that hasn't been around in a long time. Dino asked the fans to support his team and I believe this year the community will show up in big numbers.

It's not all bad here, you see. Cheers.

I have absolute faith in JW to do what is humanly possible to keep our lord and savior at SU.

When Art Briles got Baylor up and running he didn’t leave them for Texas which is a top 3 job in the nation.
People have no clue what Dino would or wouldn’t do. Especially national media writers who are just jumping on his bandwagon.

That’s a pretty good guess. But I think he did say that the fans would also be excited about this. Don’t get me wrong the dorms are an issue that needs to be sorely addressed but I don’t see the average fan really appreciating or feeling that impact.

Now if this was tied to the Sheraton being turned into a first-class athletes only residence and “lifestyle” center AND - to replace the Sheraton - they announce the construction of a 20-story, state of the art Marriott hotel on the west wing of the dome with an attached restaurant/bar/entertainment venue for fans/alumni... now that would be a game changer for all parties.

Edit: I revisited the initial proclamation and i just had to repost it here because I can’t recall anything in this forum’s history that was laced with such anticipation and hype:

The quality of the athlete dorms continues to be understated on this forum, as has been stated in the past. The football players, at least the majority, dont live in the typical skytop apartments that undergrads do.

The quality of the athlete dorms continues to be understated on this forum, as has been stated in the past. The football players, at least the majority, dont live in the typical skytop apartments that undergrads do.
good point but I think the point that the athlete dorms at other schools are better isn't a stretch.

A couple of things - guys like Dino know they can win anywhere - and the type of money he can command on an open market - let's just say cost of living isn't relevant.

And yeah, there is going to be a big investment for athletics rolling out to get SU up to snuff in the ridiculous arms race. The AD is supporting Babers in every way possible and to Dino's credit he doesn't ask for dumb over the top things.

I know where they live, I've been in those apartments quite alot. The fact is, I've heard from many parents and former players who have said our football housing is not close to the vast majority of schools we're recruiting against.

I know where they live, I've been in those apartments quite alot. The fact is, I've heard from many parents and former players who have said our football housing is not close to the vast majority of schools we're recruiting against.

University Village? My understanding is that the move there is pretty new.

When Art Briles got Baylor up and running he didn’t leave them for Texas which is a top 3 job in the nation.
People have no clue what Dino would or wouldn’t do. Especially national media writers who are just jumping on his bandwagon.

Good point. Hopefully Dino and Briles are kindred spirits...but only in this way!!!

good point but I think the point that the athlete dorms at other schools are better isn't a stretch.

Could be. But i recall several parents on this board, stating otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom