Bruce Feldman talking Dino Babers. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Bruce Feldman talking Dino Babers.

And yeah, there is going to be a big investment for athletics rolling out to get SU up to snuff in the ridiculous arms race. The AD is supporting Babers in every way possible and to Dino's credit he doesn't ask for dumb over the top things.
So you're saying the BIG news won't be over-the-top? Is this something that will benefit the players only or will it also impact the fans' experience?

I heard the exact same thing from a very reliable source that a major donation to benefit the football program will be announced in the near future. They amount I heard was unbelievable!! No info on what it will be used for but new locker rooms would not be a surprise.

I heard the exact same thing from a very reliable source that a major donation to benefit the football program will be announced in the near future. They amount I heard was unbelievable!! No info on what it will be used for but new locker rooms would not be a surprise.

Unbelievable amount? North of $100 million? That would pay off the Dome reno.

My guess would be between $5-10M... simply a guess.

Expecting Dino to stay here long term is like expecting Melo to come back for his sophomore year. He wants to be in the mix for a national title and coach at the highest level. If the right opportunity opens for him he will take it. The resurgence is awesome. It’s not the apex for Dino.
I think he is in a great spot to compete. He has proven that he can compete with FSU and Clemson when he has inferior (on the whole) players. With the right on campus extras for players, and winning, he should be able to upgrade players. Win the ACC, and you're in the Final Four.

Last edited:
If it was that high, they'd better scrap the current roof design and go back to the one that was originally leaked. ;)

More realistically, since it has now been leaked that the gift isn't benefiting the fans directly this implies the donation will help fund new locker rooms and living facilities for the players. Those would be wonderful improvements, but I was told we'd be ecstatic. For me that would be wider concourses and a glass facade on the dome... I can dream.

An unbelievable amount by SU standards would probably be in the $20-30M range I think. For SEC schools with a bigger donor pool that amount would probably be 3-4x that.

Better question might be who the donor is. Weitsman? The saudi prince?

I'm a little disappointed this mystery hasn't gained more traction. The possibilities are endless on how $25M could be invested.

Last edited:
Thank you for hijacking this thread and turning it into something positive and exciting!

A single donor?

If it was that high, they'd better scrap the current roof design and go back to the one that was originally leaked. ;)

More realistically, since it has now been leaked that the gift isn't benefiting the fans directly this implies the donation will help fund new locker rooms and living facilities for the players. Those would be wonderful improvements, but I was told we'd be ecstatic. For me that would be wider concourses and a glass facade on the dome... I can dream.

An unbelievable amount by SU standards would probably be in the $20-30M range I think. For SEC schools with a bigger donor pool that amount would probably be 3-4x that.

Better question might be who the donor is. Weitsman? The saudi prince?

I'm a little disappointed this mystery hasn't gained more traction. The possibilities are endless on how $25M could be invested.

I doubt it's the Saudi prince. The Saudi gov't. already fleeced him for billions. I think he's still on semi-house arrest. In any case, when he's given to schools in the past (including Harvard, Georgetown, U. of Edinburgh), he's given to academics. Doubt he has much interest in the sports program. Weitsman is a better guess but is he a b'ball-only?

Great post.

A few positives being the Syracuse HC:

• Living in CNY, which is one of the lowest costs of living in the US. Sure, property taxes and state income taxes are a drag, but actual outlay of cash is far, far cheaper than living in the majority of larger cities/regions elsewhere (see LA, Austin, Miami, etc).

• Low pressure work environment gives you the time and support to fully build and develop your football program at your own pace. For as much as we all would love to dream of an annual CFP berth, winning 8-9 games per year, with a 10-12 win season baked in every few years would more than suffice. Any "bigger" job would come with steep pressure from alum, donors and the fanbase.

• Playing a run and gun offensive scheme in a controlled environment (The Dome). This entirely rules out having to play in "2 feet of snow", which is used as a negative recruiting tool against us. On Saturdays in the fall inside a dome takes weather right out of the mix and gives you the benefit that you absolutely know what you're getting from a game-planning lens. Oh yeah, something about a massive Dome renovation with state-of-the-art technology and amenities won't hurt, either. In a couple years, the Dome is going to be a tourist attraction.

• Recruiting. I cannot stand hearing how we're at a massive disadvantage when it comes to recruiting. In the Northeast, we're dealing with very few schools for the majority of players we actually pursue. Sure, the big boys come knocking when there is an elite prospect, but for the most part, we're in a good position to win many of the those battles moving forward against the Pitt, BC, WF and Rutgers of the world. Sprinkle in a win every so often (eventually) against Penn St, along with the continued success we've had in FL and DMV, and we will be fine. Canada could turn out to be a major source of talent. There's a boatload of athletes up there who often don't even get a look. We're the closest school to home for anyone from Toronto to Montreal. Dino had his first neck-turning season last year, he tacks one or more of those on, kids are going to start paying attention. GameDay (fingers crossed) will help a ton with that.

• A sleeping fanbase that is slowly starting to waken. It's been many, many years since we've fielded consistently good teams year over year. Nearly 20 years after the McNabb days, we might finally have the guy who can return us to the glory days of packed Domes and absurd loudness. Talk about a home field advantage when you can't hear the person next to you on 3rd downs? Wow. Take a look at the last 10 months... Dino wins 10 games last year, brings us to a bowl in Orlando that is mobbed with rabid ORANGE shirts in the crowd and now is on the verge of a juiced Dome atmosphere again. New season ticket sales have soared, renewals were at a healthy clip and there's a buzz around town that hasn't been around in a long time. Dino asked the fans to support his team and I believe this year the community will show up in big numbers.
It's not all bad here, you see. Cheers.
One bullet missing:
  • Wegmans

If it is $25-30M, then that's a game changer in a lot of ways. Could use for endowment of coaching positions, which would allow AD/program to spend more in other critical operations areas.
Figure I have heard is $25M

I wonder if the Pegulas are involved with this large donation. I recall JW charting up Terry at the dome last year and their daughter goes/went here.

I wonder if the Pegulas are involved with this large donation. I recall JW charting up Terry at the dome last year and their daughter goes/went here.

Not a bad guess, I think it's their son that attends SU and they were at the Clemson upset with JW two years ago

There have been many former players who flourished in the business/entrepreneurial world after their playing days ended. I'd be looking there.
So Dave Bing is donating to football!? Great! All One Team!

I’ve also heard of a large donation, not necessarily football related, being pulled. Just an FYI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom