Bruce Feldman talking Dino Babers. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Bruce Feldman talking Dino Babers.

There have been many former players who flourished in the business/entrepreneurial world after their playing days ended. I'd be looking there.

It's the Shirt World guy isnt it?! (sarcasm font)

Get ready for the Fuccillo Dome!

Figure I have heard is $25M
Is the announcement going to detail how they plan to invest? Or is it just going to be revealing the donor?

$25M is incredible generosity but is a one time lump sum equal to half of one year’s operating budget really a game changer? If it was $25M a year for the next 10 years that’s a different story. Maybe we just interpret “game changer” differently. It’s a very loaded word.

Is the announcement going to detail how they plan to invest? Or is it just going to be revealing the donor?

$25M is incredible generosity but is a one time lump sum equal to half of one year’s operating budget really a game changer? If it was $25M a year for the next 10 years that’s a different story. Maybe we just interpret “game changer” differently. It’s a very loaded word.

Agreed $25M one time is great for the program but far from a game changer.

Well let’s see what the announcement is before we shoot the messenger. But he really stuck his neck out there with the language and hype he was trying to generate. Almost impossible for reality to match.

If a private donation is on the way this fall that will/might be a "game changer" shouldn't this have its own thread? I'm just glad I am endlessly curious about what Bruce Feldman has to say or I might have missed this news.

$25 million far from a game changer!? Why dont you just wait and see how they plan to use it...

For reference, I believe Carmelo Anthony donated 3 million? (correct me if I'm wrong) and look what we got out of that...

Yes, I would consider $25 million a game changer.

$25 million far from a game changer!? Why dont you just wait and see how they plan to use it...

For reference, I believe Carmelo Anthony donated 3 million? (correct me if I'm wrong) and look what we got out of that...

I would not consider it a " game changer"

I’ve also heard of a large donation, not necessarily football related, being pulled. Just an FYI.

Being pulled, as in being rescinded? That seems very curious. And I would guess it's related to lacrosse.

Being pulled, as in being rescinded? That seems very curious. And I would guess it's related to lacrosse.
Yes... and no.

Again - don’t believe it was earmarked for athletics.

I would not consider it a " game changer"

And you would be wrong.

How many one-time donations do you know of upwards of $10M? Here's a rundown of the top gifts in school history:

A $25M gift would rank third -- ever, in the history of Syracuse University. And the top one ever strictly to athletics (if that, indeed, is what it is).

For reference, the University of Alabama (not football, the University) rescinded the largest gift in school history of $21.5M recently.

It is a game changer.

Getting back to Dino. What is more impressive - going to the CFP and winning a National Championship at Syracuse or doing the same at Bama, UGA or Clemson?

I dont know what drives Dino - but maybe the challenge of winning here and becoming a beloved icon is enough.

We can ALL agree it will be a huge shot in the arm. "Game changer", however, can be read as we're now entering the arms race with SEC schools... or it could be interpreted as elevating our status to be on par or slightly exceeding our peers. Either way, I'm just excited that we're even having this discussion. And I like having some time to imagine the possibilities instead of just hearing the announcement in a few months.

Also, I think some of us initially got caught up in the reported number ($25M) and forget that the university is probably going to step up to match that in some way. $25M could buy a new stadium in 1980 but might only buy us nice locker rooms in 2020. Clearly, the indications are that the total investment will far exceed the gift amount.

And I'm willing to bet that this donation doesn't happen without last year's breakthrough season. Dino is the gift that keeps on giving.

And I never said that I precisely knew all those things (or that I was Dino). Just my opinion based on general knowledge of his aspirations and the landscape of college football.

Heres a guy who has a different perspective albeit its evolved over the years.

Babers leaving is my worst nightmare n it's a real catch 22 ! We have a great year new years day bowl and I'm seriously worried someone will pluck him away cause some of these schools money aint nothing! Have so much of it too throw around but of course I want us too win every damn game but will be in the back of my mind as long as everyone else I'm sure! Hope and I'm sure wildhack has a back up plan which I'm sure he does! We're just as lucky to have him as our AD as babers our coach. We should definitely go for a coach who has a lot of similarities to babers in terms of style of play and we have to pay top dollar or at least top 25 in terms of paying a coach if we want consistently win that's just the reality of it.
here's to a great season go orange baby

How would $25m not be a game changer ???!!!!???! That would be the seed money to a brand new football complex attached to the IPF.
I’d rather they encase the university inside a giant greenhouse so it will feel like California 365 days a year. Then build a man made lake and harness the moon’s gravity so Dino can go surfing on his days off. No more negative recruiting about the weather.

bingo.
Someone earlier said that Dino doesn't ask for over-the-top stuff, so what is the current football complex lacking? I had the impression the biggest shortfall was the housing.

How would $25m not be a game changer ???!!!!???! That would be the seed money to a brand new football complex attached to the IPF.
Remember any enhancements to Manley benefit the rest of the student athletes as well. For instance, a new football facility opens the previous space to our other athletes, who certainly are better off as a result. I believe that would constitute a massive step forward (game-changer) for our entire AD. It's a good time to be orange.

Last edited:
I’d rather they encase the university inside a giant greenhouse so it will feel like California 365 days a year. Then build a man made lake and harness the moon’s gravity so Dino can go surfing on his days off. No more negative recruiting about the weather.

At least now we finally know what it would take to make you happy.

At least now we finally know what it would take to make you happy.
That would make Dino happy. I just want bigger concourses. Natural lighting would be a bonus. Food can be whatever.

That would make Dino happy. I just want bigger concourses. Natural lighting would be a bonus. Food can be whatever.

The concourse thing is nearly impossible. Not much room to expand out bc the Dome is blocked in by other buildings etc. The only chance IMO was building a big atrium type thing in the area where they decided to put the new law school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom