Brunson, PG after Ennis and sanctions | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Brunson, PG after Ennis and sanctions

No, absurd that you think the coaching staff should be fired because they didn't know in January that Ennis would leave.

Find one post of mine where I said the staff should be fired or replaced and I'll give you 2 thousand dollars.

Don't put words in my mouth doof.

The staff's expectation to use a short rotation leaving us unprepared when key personnel like McCullough, Mali, Ennis, etc. jumped unexpectedly
This term keeps being thrown around like it's the gospel and I just don't think it's true and there hasn't been much in public to support that. Especially when kids like Carey are coming out and saying SU coaches are telling him, as a recruit, he can be one and done. If the staff is not having honest discussions about what these recruits are looking for and what their plans on then they're doing themselves a huge disservice.

This term keeps being thrown around like it's the gospel and I just don't think it's true and there hasn't been much in public to support that. Especially when kids like Carey are coming out and saying SU coaches are telling him, as a recruit, he can be one and done. If the staff is not having honest discussions about what these recruits are looking for and what their plans on then they're doing themselves a huge disservice.

Here's what I can tell you -- the staff expected Ennis to be here for two seasons. That was his family's plan coming in, and that's what the staff expected to happen.

The staff did not expect Richardson to leave after one year.

The staff expected McCullough to be a one-and-done, but after his struggles and subsequent injury, they thought he'd come back.

The staff didn't expect Grant to leave after a mediocre sophomore year -- they expected him to return and be the focal point, and then leave after his junior season.

I'm not sure what would be "in public to support that," just passing this info along. I'm cool if people don't want to believe the veracity of the above. If you don't think it is true, then we can agree to disagree.

If we had a full roster of players, then we might not be caught lacking depth and more easily absorb when one or more of these kids leaves earlier than expected. But we've recruited for decades to have a shorter rotation, and when a player like Mali bails, we've had to scramble to fill his spot. The situation was exacerbated by the sanctions, which gave us a smaller roster to work with and hanstrung the coaches on the recruiting trail, which made the situation even worse.

Last edited:
When was Jalen Brunson an SU lock? Wasn't he a heavy Temple lean because his father was supposed to be on the coaching staff until he got caught in the massage parlor?

Rick Brunson's arrest might've cost Temple a five-star point guard

Nobody said he was a "lock." But the elder Brunson was highly intrigued by the prospect of his son playing for SU, and that summer he was an elite camp participant, and the dad more than kicked the tires on placing his son at SU. That would have been in that same timeframe [that article was from July 2014].

I'm sure the dad getting hired by his alma mater as a package deal might have changed things, but things might also have changed if JB had shown interest and offered the kid instead of telling the family that they viewed Jaylen as a poor fit.

Here's what I can tell you -- the staff expected Ennis to be here for two seasons. That was his family's plan coming in, and that's what the staff expected to happen.

The staff expected McCullough to be a one-and-done, but after his struggles and subsequent injury, they thought he'd come back.

The staff didn't expect Grant to leave after a mediocre sophomore year -- they expected him to return and be the focal point, and then leave after his junior season.

I'm not sure what would be "in public to support that," just passing this info along. I'm cool if people don't want to believe the veracity of the above. If you don't think it is true, then we can agree to disagree.

If we had a full roster of players, then we might not be caught lacking depth and more easily absorb when one or more of these kids leaves earlier than expected. But we've recruited for decades to have a shorter rotation, and when a player like Mali bails, we've had to scramble to fill his spot. The situation was exacerbated by the sanctions, which gave us a smaller roster to work with and hanstrung the coaches on the recruiting trail, which made the situation even worse.
100% agree and that was always my thought. My opinion was that Ennis plan had changed half way through the year but it is what it is. I was not expecting Grant to go until it was official. I did not expect Mali to go until we got to the combine and it was clear what he was hearing. All unfortunate things but again as I stated and you agreed with we would have been fine with Monte Morris. If we had just done that we would have been good. He would have started at the PG year 2 we would have had some flexibility with where Silent G played and we would have had Cooney playing less minutes but being productive and we would have been able to ease Joseph in. Who knows how he would have reacted but either way we would have moved on and been fine. That killed us.

There are multiple reasons here but the investigation and sanctions had a ton to do with this. Not just direct scholarship losses either...During 2014 and part of 2015, no one knew what was going to happen to the program and coaches, including players who heard lots of rumors. Postseason ban and more importantly what would happen to HOF coach JB who they'd who be pledging to. And the guys going early to the NBA knew there might be something as well...Negative recruiting as well. Syracuse basketball has been under this dark cloud for quite some time now and is starting to get out...Compared to others who have had similar fates, I believe the program has hung in there...I live in Tennessee and cannot stand UT Vols but remember when Pearls stuff came out and that was more just on him that the team, but it crippled a program that was top 10 at the time under Pearl...Now Cuse has a better foundation and tradition to withstand these NCAA issues but they do have major impact on programs.

A comprehensive timeline of events for NCAA investigation into Syracuse

The other thing is that the trend of kids leaving early regardless of whether they will be a 1st rounder has escalated quickly in the last 5 or so years. So what seems like it should be obvious now that we've watched a bunch of border line guys go early wasn't nearly as obvious as the trend was starting.

All true. I’m wondering though how many kids truly want to play for Boeheim. Griffin got Bazely and it could be Otto coaching and it wouldn’t have mattered. He has a hard on for SU and will audition for the NBA next season by any means necessary. Carey is interesting. I think he got potentially scared off by Miami problems looming on the horizon and UConn probably was never really in it. I’m sure he is expecting the rock in his hands a LOT as well. Better times are ahead but the staff is going to have to potentially manage egos like they never have before and/or fix some logjam potential problems.
My understanding is that Bazely likes Boeheim a lot and it was a major draw for him. He has talked about playing for a hall of fame coach on Twitter.

All true. I’m wondering though how many kids truly want to play for Boeheim. Griffin got Bazely and it could be Otto coaching and it wouldn’t have mattered. He has a hard on for SU and will audition for the NBA next season by any means necessary. Carey is interesting. I think he got potentially scared off by Miami problems looming on the horizon and UConn probably was never really in it. I’m sure he is expecting the rock in his hands a LOT as well. Better times are ahead but the staff is going to have to potentially manage egos like they never have before and/or fix some logjam potential problems.
Miami’s problems? I disagree. Do you remember that picture collage they put together. That was first rate. I’m not sure how Boeheim overcame that but he did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom