BT | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BT

Let MCW play a full game first. When the lock is running down i want the ball in BT's hands plus he know how to feed the post

I'll take it one step further--I hope that BOTH MCW and BT have big years and take their games up a notch next season. And I think that they're both capable of doing so. I don't see it as mutually exclusive.

Put it this way. While JB probably wants a Triche-Williams backcourt, I don't think he is going to have a problem replacing an ineffective MCW, inserting Cooney and sliding Triche to the point. On the flip side, he will throw a much longer rope to Triche if/when he struggles.

So the key could be Cooney. If he proves to be the player we hope he'll be (smart, dead-eye shooter), the best option could be BT and Cooney in the backcourt.

Thank God we only have 3 quality guards this year instead of four. It should hold down the "why didn't ----- play more minutes at guard last night" to 50 replies instead of 100. :bat:

I'll take it one step further--I hope that BOTH MCW and BT have big years and take their games up a notch next season. And I think that they're both capable of doing so. I don't see it as mutually exclusive.
Me too, to bad some choose to see me knocking bt instead ,when in reality i just think mcw is better. Im just a realist.

Looks like people here are willing to toss out reality in favor of being nice to the upperclassman. MCW is a better player, mentally and physically, period.
Mentally better? Based on what exactly? His huge gaffe that got him pulled in that game. Or his reaction to it by getting in JBs face? Or was it his tweets during the NCAAT whining about being on the bench? Or was it the ridiculousness surrounding the NN fiasco?

MCW can use some growing up. So far he has exhibited all the maturity of a 19 year old kid. That needs to change. And I think it will. MCW's time will come.

But it seems like some people have trouble accepting that the '12-'13 squad is going to be under the leadership of BT. He has earned it. He has been on teams averaging 30 wins per year. He has paid his dues and is now responsible for the leadership role. Why the hate?

Brandon Triche scored 94 percent of his points last year in transition, shooting after a pass, or making a drive immedietely off of catching a pass. Unlike pounding the ball or driving well beyond the three point line those are SG skills.

The other 6 percent was with him not driving immedietly, pulling up with a guy in his face, or pounding the basketball. THOSE WERE BEFORE BE PLAY and are point guard skills.
Can you run with a pg without alot of isolation or without the abilitiy to beat a really good defender when the pressure is on? Sure but he probably won't be a NBA point guard if so and could be the death of a team eventually in march.

MCW has a ton of point guard potential. He is a amazing passer he throws the ball rediculously on target even from a distance with great court vision. imo EASILY our best passer of the last decade and he showed it a few times last year and at the MCD skill challenge. No offense to Billy or Johnny.

I predict our weakest guard lineup will be with Triche at the one and Cooney at the two barring Cooney doesn't beat out Triche at the one. You proabably wont see Rak and Keita on the floor together in that lineup. But, I also feel Triche could get better in isolation in the offseason. Thats the one thing he needs to add to his game unless he becomes a bullseye shooter.

Peremiter isolation driving and shooting could be a issue next year if MCW, Triche, Fair and Grant don't step it. Or if Southerland Cooney don't show the ability to create their own shot with the ball in their hands.

18% of his points came from the foul line.

Brandon Triche scored 94 percent of his points last year in transition, shooting after a pass, or making a drive immedietely off of catching a pass. Unlike pounding the ball or driving well beyond the three point line those are SG skills.

The other 6 percent was with him not driving immedietly, pulling up with a guy in his face, or pounding the basketball. THOSE WERE BEFORE BE PLAY and are point guard skills.
Can you run with a pg without alot of isolation or without the abilitiy to beat a really good defender when the pressure is on? Sure but he probably won't be a NBA point guard if so and could be the death of a team eventually in march.

MCW has a ton of point guard potential. He is a amazing passer he throws the ball rediculously on target even from a distance with great court vision. imo EASILY our best passer of the last decade and he showed it a few times last year and at the MCD skill challenge. No offense to Billy or Johnny.

I predict our weakest guard lineup will be with Triche at the one and Cooney at the two barring Cooney doesn't beat out Triche at the one. You proabably wont see Rak and Keita on the floor together in that lineup. But, I also feel Triche could get better in isolation in the offseason. Thats the one thing he needs to add to his game unless he becomes a bullseye shooter.

Peremiter isolation driving and shooting could be a issue next year if MCW, Triche, Fair and Grant don't step it. Or if Southerland Cooney don't show the ability to create their own shot with the ball in their hands.

That's a great post, RF2044. It just seems that a lot of posters view everything as a zero-sum game when that's not the case.

For me, the beauty and fun of following this team is watching the seasons and careers unfold. Honestly, none of us really know what will happen. Who would have guessed that Andy Rautins would wind up being drafted? After their freshman years, who would have guessed that Fab and Dion would likely be first round NBA picks in 2012? During this past season, who thought Scoop would be under serious consideration to be drafted?

As for next season, Brandon could very well continue to improve and become a viable NBA prospect. MCW might step in and really be the surefire NBA talent many believe him to be. Cooney could bring consistent scoring and 3-point shooting off the bench. Rak could take a big leap forward in his second year and become a top defender and rebounding force. Coleman might play like an upperclassman from day one and be a polished scorer and consistent rebounder at center. CJ could continue to improve his shot and range and become a go-to scorer. Southerland might become a more consistent shooter and continue to develop his all-around game.

Obviously, all of those things are unlikely to happen. But if just a few do, this team will be a legitimate national championship contender. I'm looking forward to watching it play out.

imo EASILY our best passer of the last decade and he showed it a few times last year and at the MCD skill challenge. No offense to Billy or Johnny.

That's a very bold statement. He probably has the potential to become the best of the last decade, but I don't think he's shown to be close to that yet.

Mentally better? Based on what exactly?

Have a friend very close to the program who has told me Brandon has some serious personal demons killing his confidence. I don't like to get into players' personal lives, hate it when fans invade that private space, but I won't ignore truths that carry onto the court.

Have a friend very close to the program who has told me Brandon has some serious personal demons killing his confidence. I don't like to get into players' personal lives, hate it when fans invade that private space, but I won't ignore truths that carry onto the court.

You must not hate it that much because you just did it. Congratulations.

I would think Triche gets into a comfort zone with Coleman back in the picture.

It shows on the court, but by me saying that means i think he sucks and want him to fail miserably. After all i only root for one player each season, last year it was the dion waiters orange.

I didn't see confidence issues on the court. I heard people on here say that, but to me it looked like he was defering to teammates. When needed, like in the OSU game when Dion was out with foul trouble, BT stepped up and became more aggressive. I anticipate more of that type of aggressive play now that it becomes his role on the team.

What did you see on the court that makes you think BT has confidence issues?

can MCW play some real minutes against elite competion before we name him the next coming of carmelo anthony. He has potential, but we need to see it throughout games first. We have had elite prospects not reach their potential before so lets not get our heads to big before we see him in a big game against someone next year. The Triche bashing is ridiculous. 50 percent of it is cause he is local. It is no difference from the bashing AR took here for 5 years. Also if Triche plays like he did against Ohio State (he was the best player on the floor for us) next year, I will be pretty comfortable with him playing either the 1 or 2. Don't forget we made some of our biggest runs this year with him at the 1 and Dion at the 2.

That rumor has been around for a couple years now...

I don't really agree with the thread's presumption that we have to choose between MCW versus BT. As was pointed out, notwithstanding their "NBA" positions (both are probably PG's), right now these guys are playing different spots. MCW will play point and bring up the ball; BT will continue at the 2 where he was last year. This will change when MCW goes out--BT will move over and Cooney will come in. But that's probably only 5-7 minutes a game (unless Cooney explodes).

As to MCW, no question he has serious upside. At 6'5-6'6, he's got NBA size. He's athletic, he's smooth and he can distribute the ball effectively within the offense. He uses his length to shield off defenders, and he is obviously not afraid to take the ball to the rack. What I havn't seen from him is a steady jumpshot against pressure (he shot about 39% but only took 18 3's when games had mostly been decided). Nor has MCW mastered the defensive zone, or proven himself capable of shutting down smaller, quicker guards. We have yet to see him run the offense against top 10/20 teams playing 35 minutes.

As to BT, the kid is a tank. At 6'4 220 pounds, he's very hard to stop on penetration, and is a proven veteren who HAS been there at cruch time. He saved our bacon last year in a bunch of games (for example, if he doesn't arch a shot over Denghe, we don't win at the Dumb center). He has a consistent mid-range and long range jumper (35% from 3), yet can slash and finish or get to the line. He's much stronger than MCW and can create his own shot even against pressure defense. At the other end of the floor, he's been (IMO) our steadiest perimeter defender for 3 years.

So we can flame each other -- but these 2 guys fill different roles and bring different skillsets and experience levels to the team. We'll need them both to be successful.

MCW's was one of the top 4-5 point guards in the nation coming into college last year. If your not amazed yet prepare to be. When he clicks hes so silky smooth its all over and thats no knock on Triche at all. He has the potential to be a true pass first point guard and that doesn't include his rediculously good passing skill or ability to dribble into open space with his head up. Just his ability to understand ball movement and what to get out of it.

And he trained in what was one of the best backcourts in the nation last year. Fair to say the best even. Including scoop, Dion, Triche, and Reese.

Hes just got to learn how to get his defender off balence and continue to work on speeding up his third gear.

I didn't think it was possible, but I think the expectations placed on Carter-Williams are higher than those placed on anyone entering a season since Carmelo left. Higher than Harris and Greene as frosh, higher than Wes as a junior, and even Hak as a senior.

Hmmm...

I'm hoping that we see something similar to what happened with DNic. There were people here who SWORE that he didn't have the makeup / confidence to get the job done, then he silenced the doubters when he exploded as a senior. Not suggesting that BT is going to average 20+ or be as prolific of a shooter as Nichols, just hoping for a similar trajectory on the developmental curve as a kid stepping into a bigger role as a senior and taking the challenge head on.

. This will change when MCW goes out--BT will move over and Cooney will come in. But that's probably only 5-7 minutes a game (unless Cooney explodes).

At the other end of the floor, he's been (IMO) our steadiest perimeter defender for 3 years.

So we can flame each other -- but these 2 guys fill different roles and bring different skillsets and experience levels to the team. We'll need them both to be successful.
We seem to be on the same page. I think both these guards will be good. And they are not in competition with each other.

Where I differ from you slightly, is with Cooney. I think 5-7 minutes is way too little. Whitehot is the 3rd guard, MCW was getting that amount of time as the 4th last year. If Cooney only gets 5-7 minutes per game, MCW and BT will both be averaging over 35 per. That would be a lot. If Cooney plays only decently I think he would be getting closer to 15.

We seem to be on the same page. I think both these guards will be good. And they are not in competition with each other.

Where I differ from you slightly, is with Cooney. I think 5-7 minutes is way too little. Whitehot is the 3rd guard, MCW was getting that amount of time as the 4th last year. If Cooney only gets 5-7 minutes per game, MCW and BT will both be averaging over 35 per. That would be a lot. If Cooney plays only decently I think he would be getting closer to 15.

I'm hoping you're right -- and there's every indication that Cooney will be a monster having had a year to coil up and practice. If he contributes... that's better for everyone b/c it will save MCW and BT from having to log too much time.

I didn't think it was possible, but I think the expectations placed on Carter-Williams are higher than those placed on anyone entering a season since Carmelo left. Higher than Harris and Greene as frosh, higher than Wes as a junior, and even Hak as a senior.
My money is on those expectations being right.

There is no question that MCW will be the 1 and BT will be the 2.

When MCW comes out, BT will move to the 1 and Cooney to the 2.

When Triche comes out, you get it.

When both BT and MCW are out of the game...
images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom