BU Point Guard transferring (Could SU be a destination) | Syracusefan.com

BU Point Guard transferring (Could SU be a destination)

grepal

Starter
Read he is their best player. I hope we can land a good quality point to help next year. Maybe Watson is the answer. I watch a lot of hoops but I don't remember if I saw him this year ot not. Anybody have any first hand info and could Syracuse be a match for this player?>>>

grepal said:
Read he is their best player. I hope we can land a good quality point to help next year. Maybe Watson is the answer. I watch a lot of hoops but I don't remember if I saw him this year ot not. Anybody have any first hand info and could Syracuse be a match for this player?>>>

JB basically said in a story today that we're set next year with guards.

I didn't say it. He did, and he's in charge.

Sounds like the staff is feeling good about their returning guards. Can't imagine a guard from BU is an upgrade over what SU already has on campus.

orangejunkie said:
Sounds like the staff is feeling good about their returning guards. Can't imagine a guard from BU is an upgrade over what SU already has on campus.

But they'll be playing a true freshman point (again) and still don't have a legitimate backup point.

But they'll be playing a true freshman point (again) and still don't have a legitimate backup point.
Unless he's really confident in Buss.

jdubs30 said:
Unless he's really confident in Buss.
I just don't see Buss being much of a factor. The thought of him playing point guard frightens me. He's a shooter who really doesn't shoot particularly well. The only way I can see him being a factor is if we turn up the tempo. He can run and finish well.

OrangeCrush22 said:
For one season, I sure can. We're not looking for someone to start over Joseph, just someone to back him up.

SU believes Mike G is the backup point.

Doesn't appear there will be any transfers.

This is disappointing. Ennis was a rare case of an exceptionally mature freshman PG and he got worn down with no backup. Gonna be the same scenario again. Damnit.

I just don't see Buss being much of a factor. The thought of him playing point guard frightens me. He's a shooter who really doesn't shoot particularly well. The only way I can see him being a factor is if we turn up the tempo. He can run and finish well.

I think Buss will work well with Gbinije. Both could be combo guards with the ability to beat their man off the dribble and both are scorers. Like you alluded to, I would love to see them come off the bench and turn up the tempo on both sides of the ball. Gbinije's height and Patterson's size would be overwhelming for a lot of guards. Coming in fresh and ready to attack the rim, they could make a lot of good things happen in 4 minute stretches while we rest Joseph and Cooney.

Watson is legit. Was Top 100 player out of HS. But would have to sit and wouldn't be eligible right away.

That being said, still think team needs PG help no matter what Boeheim says. Not sold on Gbinije there.

JB basically said in a story today that we're set next year with guards.

I didn't say it. He did, and he's in charge.

ehhhh that's surprising. I thought for sure we would be going after a grad transfer. I just can't see going through the season with those 4 in the back court. Especially since we will only have 11 scholarship players. Just imagine if 1 of them gets hurt.

how can you be confident in a guy going into next year that you had zero confidence in this year, to the point he couldn't get on the court in any meaningful capacity. thats not confidence..thats cognitive dissonance

That's often true about Boeheim, but when was Buss going to get minutes anyway?

One good thing, hopefully, is that SU will have 3 out of 4 guards who are essentially Seniors (in age).

how can you be confident in a guy going into next year that you had zero confidence in this year, to the point he couldn't get on the court in any meaningful capacity. thats not confidence..thats cognitive dissonance
Don't shoot the messenger man. Fact is, JB has seen Buss play more times than every single one of us

jdubs30 said:
Don't shoot the messenger man. Fact is, JB has seen Buss play more times than every single one of us

True, but how could we ever see him play? He never played, if you know what I mean.

Face it, Buss plays limited minutes next year. Joseph and Cooney will carry the load with G spotting both of them.

That's often true about Boeheim, but when was Buss going to get minutes anyway?
He said that they didn't want to play Tyler and Trevor 38 minutes a game, but that he had too. If that doesn't tell you had zero confidence in Buss, than I don't know what does.

Apparently, though, he has confidence that Buss can play next season.

I think we are making a big mistake by not adding depth at Guard. But, one would hope the coaches "know" and if they really need another guy they go grab him. Maybe the plan next year is to play press and fast break basketball with less emphasis on half court and needing a true PG? Ennis really slowed the tempo down maybe we get back to run and gun.

Ennis' year may have convinced JB he doesn't need a back-up point guard. I hope he's right.

What if Joseph isn't ready, gets hurt or gets in foul trouble in a key game?

Watson is a good player that I think can do well on a Big East/A-10 level. He's on the small side at around 5'9/5'10 tops. So obviously he doesn't have the size that the staff would look for in a guard.

Ennis' year may have convinced JB he doesn't need a back-up point guard. I hope he's right.

What if Joseph isn't ready, gets hurt or gets in foul trouble in a key game?

True. But, look how many minutes Ennis needed to play? Ennis brought a maturity and leadership that forced Boeheim to keep the poor kid on the floor all game since there were no other viable options really. Anytime Ennis was out the offense got worse so he needed to be inserted back in quickly. It's going to be interesting to say the least moving forward.