Bud On Hop | Syracusefan.com

Bud On Hop

Bill Orange

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/in...d_take_a_perfect_storm_to.html#incart_m-rpt-2

"If I go, I'm going to a place where I feel I can be forever and win forever. That's my philosophy. To leave this place — for what it's done for me and because I love it so much — it would have to be pretty special. I want to coach. If there had been the right situation I'm not saying I wouldn't have gone. But it would take a perfect storm for me to leave."

Blaudschun, who is a BC insider, says Hopkins is one of the plan B picks if Amaker doesn't work out.

"If it is not Amaker, it seems likely that Hopkins or Skerry will emerge as the front runners." http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=9816

I wonder, not knowing Mike Hopkins or his wife at all, if the idea of working in Boston is appealing to someone like Mike...cosmopolitan city, great schools, etc. May be a perfect situation for him.

Blaudschun, who is a BC insider, says Hopkins is one of the plan B picks if Amaker doesn't work out.

"If it is not Amaker, it seems likely that Hopkins or Skerry will emerge as the front runners." http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=9816

I wonder, not knowing Mike Hopkins or his wife at all, if the idea of working in Boston is appealing to someone like Mike...cosmopolitan city, great schools, etc. May be a perfect situation for him.

I can't see being any school's "Plan B" being in Hop's "perfect storm" scenario. Plan A or nothing.

I think this was mentioned in a previous thread but does anybody know how much Mike makes?

I look at it like this, Mike works at a very successful family business and his father JB Is about to retire in the next five years or so and will turn the family business Over to him. Does anybody think that he would pick up his family, move to a new city and start from scratch? I wouldn't do it if I was in his shoes.

Last edited:
From the article:

I remind you that Mike, an understudy to a fella who seems certain to stay on the Orange bridge through the 2015-'16 campaign — his 40th (a nice, round number) during which he'd theoretically earn his 1,000th victory, after which he'd coach in his third Olympiad — will be 44 in August and has dreams of his own.

Boy...if you added a second championship in the '15-16 season to all that, it'd be perfect. 40 seasons, 1k+ wins, three Olympics, two championships, and the next head coach takes over at 44? We can dream, can't we?

I think he'd leave if the situation were right. I don't think it is at BC. When you consider the top 5 or 6 in the league, at best BC would be a bubble team. Would Hop really jump for that?

Coach Mike Hopkins‏@Coach_Hopkins1 min
Family first, Family forever! pic.twitter.com/koQwzC2rwa

BjvMpMcCIAAaxwp.jpg

He would be silly to go to BC, IMO. USC I could have understood but BC is a tough job,

I went to grad school with Trish Hopkins at Newhouse for advertising.

She was (and is) a very sharp lady that would do well in a market like Boston. It's a great city that unfortunately is full of Red Sox fans.

I think he'd leave if the situation were right. I don't think it is at BC. When you consider the top 5 or 6 in the league, at best BC would be a bubble team. Would Hop really jump for that?

I think that a BCS head coaching job at a school with a decent basketball tradition would be very tempting.

He could be the guy that takes them to the next level. It would be nice to be at a school where just making the dance is seen as a victory. Higher pressure from a perennial top 25 program may not be the best situation.

BC is a really tough job and if Mike Hopkins decides to leave Syracuse, he should target a much better job. With the recent additions to the ACC of Syracuse, Pitt, ND, and Louisville and the coaching upgrade at VT, BC is probably the hardest job to succeed at in the ACC. He could go to BC for, say 2 to 3 years, stabilize the program and return to Syracuse when JB leaves, but if he is floundering at BC due to the current state of the program and the lack of institutional support, would he get the call?

When the job is as tough as BC and you are rumored to be a "Plan B" candidate, Hopkins should just say no.

i always thought that there existed an unwritten rule of institutional etiquette that you don't poach in conference.

JimBoston said:
BC is a really tough job and if Mike Hopkins decides to leave Syracuse, he should target a much better job. With the recent additions to the ACC of Syracuse, Pitt, ND, and Louisville and the coaching upgrade at VT, BC is probably the hardest job to succeed at in the ACC. He could go to BC for, say 2 to 3 years, stabilize the program and return to Syracuse when JB leaves, but if he is floundering at BC due to the current state of the program and the lack of institutional support, would he get the call? When the job is as tough as BC and you are rumored to be a "Plan B" candidate, Hopkins should just say no.

BC would build clause in his contract, I imagine, that would prevent him from returning to SU in a short period.

BC is a really tough job and if Mike Hopkins decides to leave Syracuse, he should target a much better job. With the recent additions to the ACC of Syracuse, Pitt, ND, and Louisville and the coaching upgrade at VT, BC is probably the hardest job to succeed at in the ACC. He could go to BC for, say 2 to 3 years, stabilize the program and return to Syracuse when JB leaves, but if he is floundering at BC due to the current state of the program and the lack of institutional support, would he get the call?

When the job is as tough as BC and you are rumored to be a "Plan B" candidate, Hopkins should just say no.
I completely agree making the dance there is a victory. I just don't know if he can do it. You figure Cuse, Duke, UNC, and Louisville make the tourney every year. Pitt is usually good. That leaves probably no more than one other spot. How does it look if the best he can do there is the NIT?

Winter at BC is hockey season. Why would he want to go there for a sport that nobody cares about?

What if BC under Coach Hop got SU's recruits (MCW, McC, Joseph, Battle etc)? Hop is the engine that brings in the talent now. Wouldn't be surprised if he took AA with him. It would be a big problem for us.

What if BC under Coach Hop got SU's recruits (MCW, McC, Joseph, Battle etc)? Hop is the engine that brings in the talent now. Wouldn't be surprised if he took AA with him. It would be a big problem for us.

Great point. Hop is widely regarded as one of the best recruiters in the college basketball. BC would see a major upgrade in talent if he took the job. It's not a hard sell either. Great school with ACC membership in a great city, minus those Sox fans.

Great point. Hop is widely regarded as one of the best recruiters in the college basketball. BC would see a major upgrade in talent if he took the job. It's not a hard sell either. Great school with ACC membership in a great city, minus those Sox fans.

BC is a very hard sell for recruits. Why? Facilities are poor, institutional support is low, the fan support is way below average (last in ACC last 2 years), local top recruits don't go there, unlike most major college teams they fly commercial for at least half their games, and, believe it or not, BC is hard to get into for athletes. While most teams in college basketball have increased support for their teams over the past 20 years, BC has stood still.

Go through this list of schools and tell me which school BC is a better job:

Duke? No. UNC? No. Syracuse? No. Pitt? No. ND? No. Louisville? No. NC State? No. Georgia Tech? No. Florida St.? No. Virginia? No. Wake Forest? Maybe equal. Miami? Maybe equal. Clemson? Maybe equal. Virginia Tech? Probably better, but they just hired a top coach.

If Coach Hopkins is thinking about leaving Syracuse, he can do much better than BC.

Hop is a great recruiter, but lets not kid ourselves, there are other reasons recruits come to SU. The Melo center, HOF coach, the Carrier Dome, SU tradition etc.

BC is a very hard sell for recruits. Why? Facilities are poor, institutional support is low, the fan support is way below average (last in ACC last 2 years), local top recruits don't go there, unlike most major college teams they fly commercial for at least half their games, and, believe it or not, BC is hard to get into for athletes. While most teams in college basketball have increased support for their teams over the past 20 years, BC has stood still.

Go through this list of schools and tell me which school BC is a better job:

Duke? No. UNC? No. Syracuse? No. Pitt? No. ND? No. Louisville? No. NC State? No. Georgia Tech? No. Florida St.? No. Virginia? No. Wake Forest? Maybe equal. Miami? Maybe equal. Clemson? Maybe equal. Virginia Tech? Probably better, but they just hired a top coach.

If Coach Hopkins is thinking about leaving Syracuse, he can do much better than BC.
What in the world makes you think that an assistant, even a top assistant like Hop, is going to get a shot at one of the top 25 or even top 40 coaching jobs in college basketball? Not going to happen. Only way is for him to stay at SU for three more years. And even then he might get passed over for a marquee coach.

If BC is willing to make a commitment to the basketball program in terms of facilities and salaries, combined with playing in the Fleet Center 5-7 times a year, then I say you go for it.