Buddy at SF | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy at SF

BC was even more undersized than us. Against teams like that Buddy at F can work for more than 4 minutes. Against athletic teams, that puts us at too much of a disadvantage on the defensive boards. Can't win playing Buddy at the F full-time in the zone. He just doesn't rebound well enough.
But do we need it to work?

Buddy at the 3 would be very bad for our record. He is not strong enough or athletic enough to rebound from that spot defensively. We need long and athletic forwards to be successful.

It’s interesting that Buddy can learn to be a 3 but Griffin can’t learn to be a 2.
All about learning those rotations, I guess. And knowing what you were supposed to do, but being too slow, unathletic to actually do it is better than occasionally not knowing.

JB has all the reasons.

It’s interesting that Buddy can learn to be a 3 but Griffin can’t learn to be a 2.
All about learning those rotations, I guess. And knowing what you were supposed to do, but being too slow, unathletic to actually do it is better than occasionally not knowing.

JB has all the reasons.
Well, this is Buddy's 3rd year in the system, and Griffin's 1st. So there's that.

BC was even more undersized than us. Against teams like that Buddy at F can work for more than 4 minutes. Against athletic teams, that puts us at too much of a disadvantage on the defensive boards. Can't win playing Buddy at the F full-time in the zone. He just doesn't rebound well enough.
Good luck finding too many teams like BC in the ACC. You cannot get away with this vs almost every other ACC team...so maybe its OK as a one off..but I'd be worried it could lead to bad habits vs actual good teams with size.

Well, this is Buddy's 3rd year in the system, and Griffin's 1st. So there's that.
Sure. But the point was that one isn’t an effective defender or rebounder no matter the knowledge or experience. And Buddy (and Joe played) a f-ton of ineffective defensive minutes as freshmen.

My other point, made elsewhere previously, is that if your team’s only defensive scheme relies on having players with multiple years of experience in it, you’re kinda screwed if your team needs to play kids who don’t have multiple years in it yet.

So...let me get this right...AG can't play 2G because Boehiem says he doesn't know the rotations yet Buddy who can't jump can play SF over Braswell...Boehiem is so full of it my keyboard is starting to stink.
I don't think it is crazy to think that a kid who grew up with the zone knows all the rotations more than a guy that hasn't had the benefit of a full year and has limited practices due to COVID.

Now I agree with you on Bras or Wood, it would be nice to get them some more time. Buddy isn't athletic enough to be a forward at CUSE. In certain spots I don't mind it, like needing an extra shooter near end of half/game or against undersized teams.

I don't think it is crazy to think that a kid who grew up with the zone knows all the rotations more than a guy that hasn't had the benefit of a full year and has limited practices due to COVID.

Now I agree with you on Bras or Wood, it would be nice to get them some more time. Buddy isn't athletic enough to be a forward at CUSE. In certain spots I don't mind it, like needing an extra shooter near end of half/game or against undersized teams.
Think the point is that it doesn't matter if Buddy hqs mastered the rotations at every position because his lack of quickness means he's not going to be competent defensively no matter what. But somehow being actually bad is acceptable while being theoretically isn't.

It works in a game like yesterday where we have the lead, and to use a football analogy, run for 4 yards a carry while burning clock.

But - would it have not worked as well, or better, with an actual Forward playing at Forward??

I dunno why Woody is on a milk carton, but Bras can certainly play the 3 better than Buddy, just by virtue of being longer and more athletic, and also because he’s practiced doing exactly that for years now, not hours (like Buddy).

But - would it have not worked as well, or better, with an actual Forward playing at Forward??

I dunno why Woody is on a milk carton, but Bras can certainly play the 3 better than Buddy, just by virtue of being longer and more athletic, and also because he’s practiced doing exactly that for years now, not hours (like Buddy).

Bras turned it over every time he touched it (or seemed to) in the first half. All JB is trying to do is minimize mistakes.

That being said Buddy is also getting exposed as pretty weak with the ball.

No idea with Newton.

Bras turned it over every time he touched it (or seemed to) in the first half. All JB is trying to do is minimize mistakes.

That being said Buddy is also getting exposed as pretty weak with the ball.

No idea with Newton.
Braswell had one of those games where like everything just went wrong. Just one of those really frustrating ones that happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom