Buddy Boeheim | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy Boeheim

Shooters shoot. Buddy would be a more than acceptable off guard with an Ennis, MCW, or Flynn. Except they're not walking though that door.

Buddy is one of the least concerning aspects of this team.

Well...maybe not Ennis. Under Boeheim. With these other teammates.

But I think Buddy's a better-than-average-replacement Syracuse off guard. Best since Waiters/Triche.

When he's off, he's way off, though. Guys behind him should be taking 20 of his minutes when that's the case.

where do these talking points come from? I’ll be honest with you. I think he has the best handle out there. Very smooth, fluid motions, and under control. Ever since he had that one turnover where he picked up his dribble, a few people have all of a sudden come to the conclusion he can’t dribble. I don’t see that at all.

You and I don't seem to be seeing eye to eye lately regarding basketball, but there has to be a reason Girard brought the ball up when they were both in the game together.

You and I don't seem to be seeing eye to eye lately regarding basketball, but there has to be a reason Girard brought the ball up when they were both in the game together.

not was Goodine when they both went in together, then they switched to Girard. Don’t know why but it want handle. JB was looking for anything and he played the 3 shooters a lot together hoping someone would get hot, even though Girard did not play well last night (nobody did). But none of that is because Goodine can’t dribble which is what I commented on. Goodines biggest issue will be Buddy’s playing time.

Well...maybe not Ennis. Under Boeheim. With these other teammates.

But I think Buddy's a better-than-average-replacement Syracuse off guard. Best since Waiters/Triche.

When he's off, he's way off, though. Guys behind him should be taking 20 of his minutes when that's the case.

This might be selective memory, but I don't recall Buddy shooting himself into a game. He's either on or he's off.

Call me crazy but I saw some positives last night:

1. Against UVA's hellacious defense, 9 TO's is a good sign. No reason to question guys' handle - Carey had the ball in his hands 18 minutes and 1 TO. Goodine 8 minutes 0 TO's. JG3 2 in 22 m (his first ACC game);
2. JG3 plays tough - and is well ahead of where I thought he'd be. Not only solid handle, but sees the floor well, gets the offense moving, and shows signs of being able to run the P/R. He'll contribute this year;
3. Our defense was really good. Forcing 16 TO's against UVA (by the end of the year that won't be happening), was impressive. The game was lost because of Diakite and Huff. We couldn't stop them despite well-executed doubles, but neither could anyone else in the country last year.
4. Edwards continues to impress. Raw, but promising. To see him hang against UVA - get a bucket, a RB and a block in only 5 minutes ... sweet. Hope to see more of him - interior help can't come soon enough.

On the downside:

1. We have 2 perimeter scorers. Buddy is a catch and shoot guy. Hughes can create but struggles to get separation against ACC defenders. JG3 has potential as a playmaker/complimentary scorer. But realistically, we have a lot of inexperience and no elite talent and that spells trouble in the ACC;
2. Because of that ("1)", we have a doughnut offense with little to no interior production. That makes us easy to defend - face guard 2/3 shooters that have trouble getting to the rim, and you shut down Cuse;
3. Sidibe is not contributing enough to start. 22 minutes and 2 RB's? Two points? Disappointing to say the least;
4. Guerrier is not even RFPT in the ACC, let alone the NBA. 13 minutes and zeros across the board. Nothing. Braswell would have contributed something - at least he can shoot and he's active/long on defense. So I would expect Bras to start taking Guerrier's backup minutes until G gives JB a reason to play him.
5. Rebounding is, again, at a crisis level. -19 wow. This really hurts because we're inefficient - which means we need more possessions stay even against better offensive teams. So I hope JB gives Edwards, or even JBA, more minutes as Sid is not rebounding or scoring. MD got some boards but mostly at forward. This is because he's better off-ball than fighting (in vein) for position at the 5. Also, at forward he's in a better position to do his thing - facilitate. So I like the twin towers concept with Edwards learning on the job.

Last edited:

1. Despite UVA's hellacious defense, 9 TO's is a good sign. No reason to question guys' handle - Carey had the ball in his hands 18 minutes and 1 TO;

This is actually something I didn't consider and is a good point. On the other hand, the 400 missed shots that were rebounded by UVA were essentially turnovers.

1. Despite UVA's hellacious defense, 9 TO's is a good sign. No reason to question guys' handle - Carey had the ball in his hands 18 minutes and 1 TO. Goodine 8 minutes and no TO's. JG3 with 2, but 22 minutes in his first ACC game;
2. JG3 plays tough - and is well ahead of where I thought he'd be. Not only solid handle, but sees the floor well, gets the offense moving, and shows signs of being able to run the P/R. He'll contribute this year;
3. Our defense was really good. Forcing 16 TO's against UVA (by the end of the year that won't be happening), was impressive. The game was lost because of Diakite and Huff. We couldn't stop them, but neither could anyone else in the country last year.
4. Edwards continues to impress out there. Raw, yes. But to see him hang against UVA - get a bucket, a RB and a block in only 5 minutes ... I hope to see more of him, as interior help can't come soon enough.

On the downside:

1. We have 2 scorers, both perimeter shooters. JG3 could be a third, but another perimeter guy;
2. Because of "1", we have a doughnut offense that is easy to defend - face guard 2/3 shooters that have trouble getting to the rim, and you shut down Cuse;
3. Sidibe is not contributing enough to start. 22 minutes and 2 RB's? Two points? Disappointing to say the least;
4. Guerrier is nowhere near RFPT. 13 minutes and zeros across the board. Nothing. Braswell would have contributed something - at least he can shoot and he's active/long on defense. So I would expect Bras to start taking Guerrier's backup minutes until G gives JB a reason to play him.
5. Our rebounding is at a crisis level, once again. -19 wow. you can't win that way in the ACC. I hope JB gives Edwards, or even JBA, more minutes as Sid is not rebounding or scoring. MD got some boards but mostly at forward. This is because he's better off ball than fighting (in vein) for position at the 5. Also, at forward he's in a better position to do his thing - facilitate. So I like the twin towers concept better with Edwards learning on the job.
Rushed 35 footers are the same as a turnover in my book.

No he needed to sit last night.
After watching each game this would be my line up
1: Goodine
2: Hughes
3: Guerrier
4: Braswell
5: Marek.

Huge size for the Zone. Everyone of these guys athletic and all of them capable shooters. Hughes is a natural 2 who in my opinion has been pushed to the 3 to allow Buddy to start. Buddy should be a 10-15 minute player to give Hughes a rest. Braswell has shown that he deserves to play. He has a beautiful shot, hustles, has great length and just needs playing time. Goodine is the only Guard that can get to the rack and shoot. Girard cant drive, Carey cant shoot. They are both are one dimensional. Guerrier can drive and shoot. Hes a natural 3 to small to play the 4. We dont have a center so might as well go with Marek.
Would be the worst dribbling lineup in history next to frank, white, Lydon, Coleman, and Roberson.

1. Despite UVA's hellacious defense, 9 TO's is a good sign. No reason to question guys' handle - Carey had the ball in his hands 18 minutes and 1 TO. Goodine 8 minutes and no TO's. JG3 with 2, but 22 minutes in his first ACC game;
3. Our defense was really good. Forcing 16 TO's against UVA (by the end of the year that won't be happening), was impressive. The game was lost because of Diakite and Huff. We couldn't stop them, but neither could anyone else in the country last year.
4. Edwards continues to impress out there. Raw, yes. But to see him hang against UVA - get a bucket, a RB and a block in only 5 minutes ... I hope to see more of him, as interior help can't come soon enough.

On the downside:

1. We have 2 scorers, both perimeter shooters. JG3 could be a third, but another perimeter guy;
2. Because of "1", we have a doughnut offense that is easy to defend - face guard 2/3 shooters that have trouble getting to the rim, and you shut down Cuse;
4. Guerrier is nowhere near RFPT. 13 minutes and zeros across the board. Nothing. Braswell would have contributed something - at least he can shoot and he's active/long on defense. So I would expect Bras to start taking Guerrier's backup minutes until G gives JB a reason to play him.
5. Our rebounding is at a crisis level, once again. -19 wow. you can't win that way in the ACC. I hope JB gives Edwards, or even JBA, more minutes as Sid is not rebounding or scoring. MD got some boards but mostly at forward. This is because he's better off ball than fighting (in vein) for position at the 5. Also, at forward he's in a better position to do his thing - facilitate. So I like the twin towers concept better with Edwards learning on the job.
I agree that Edwards showed that he should get a longer look. However, to be fair, he did not score against Diakite. When Edwards came in Bennett called off his dogs.

With no PG and Jalen Carey being terrible with Howard Washington likely no better I think 3/4 Buddy, Girard, Hughes, Goodine will need to be on the court at all times and share PG duties.

Hughes is awful when he tries to be the star. Girard and Goodine too young and raw. That role falls on Buddy. I am assuming that they will try and coach one of Girard or Goodine into changing their game to be a PG sort of like they did with Franklin Howard. Makes no sense to do that with Hughes or Buddy who we will need to score.

I think Marek, Braswell, Guerrier, Edwards and be servicable at the 4 and 5.

There is your 8 man rotation.

We don't have anyone who can create their own shot and we don't have a point guard who can create shots for others. We also don't have anyone with an inside game, which kinda goes along with create your own shot.

It's going to be a long year in the ACC. It won't be as bad as last night because that defense is as good as we'll face. But you should score 55-65 minimum against the great defenses. We might top out at 70-75 against the worst defenses.

Random question, those that were saying 1 and done for Guerrier. Were you talking about his minutes and I completely misread?

Buddy was much better than I expected watching him last season. Absolutely can knock them down and better dribbler than I anticipated. But it's definitely true, he seems to really be hot or cold based off his first two shots. On a typical team, he's a perfect guy who plays 20 minutes which is nothing at all to scoff at, possibly game flow dependent.

We don't have anyone who can create their own shot and we don't have a point guard who can create shots for others. We also don't have anyone with an inside game, which kinda goes along with create your own shot.

It's going to be a long year in the ACC. It won't be as bad as last night because that defense is as good as we'll face. But you should score 55-65 minimum against the great defenses. We might top out at 70-75 against the worst defenses.

Simple question: Does this mean base don UVA's performance that the 19-20 SU team has a great defense?

not was Goodine when they both went in together, then they switched to Girard. Don’t know why but it want handle. JB was looking for anything and he played the 3 shooters a lot together hoping someone would get hot, even though Girard did not play well last night (nobody did). But none of that is because Goodine can’t dribble which is what I commented on. Goodines biggest issue will be Buddy’s playing time.
There’s the definition of insanity: JB hoping “someone will get hot” when all our guys are having to chuck up contested 20 footers, because the head dude won’t install an offense with screening and movement to get guys like Hughes and Buddy open shots.

Simple question: Does this mean base don UVA's performance that the 19-20 SU team has a great defense?

Possibly. But it seemed like when they needed to score inside, they could. It was their answer to any slight run we had.

I also thought several of their 3 point misses were on open looks. Most of our misses seemed to pretty well defended.

We could have easily lost that game by 30.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom