Buddy/Jimmy NIL results | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy/Jimmy NIL results

Think about the money the Pearl would have made….

$100k for a borderline professional player seems like a number that would matter

What are you making overseas? My research says it is all over the place, but averages $100-200k. If you factor in the fun of college, and getting the degree, it could be enough to get guys to stick around another extra year before making the leap.

Okay….here’s a fun challenge. Rank the guys you think would have made the most money relative to their era if NIL had been around. Let’s do players after 1980….and let’s do a top 10.

Here’s mine:

1) Pearl. He had three marketable years. Would have arrived with an NIL deal and would have absolutely made an insane relative amount of money. I think the gap between him and everyone else is ginormous.

2) Billy Owens. The overall #1 player who was on the cover of SI before he stepped foot on campus. Again Three full years to collect and be promoted.

3) GMAC. Probably the most popular player ever for four years. Tons of game winners and could had had NIL deals in two different cities at the same time. Imagine the fishing gear deals (lol)!

4) Moten. Great kid, great personality and the face of the team for four years essentially.

5) Hakim. Great kid. Great personality. Great smile and those dunks. Probably would have started getting deals his sophomore year.

6) Sherman. Great nickname. Great player. He was a bit shy, but I think he could have made bank. Because of the teams popularity and his

7) Coleman. Great player but his surely demeanor may have been a tough sell. But he was here for four years and would have absolutely racked up huge deals his SR year he was expected to be at the top of the draft.

8) John Wallace. Semi local kid who could have scored deals in Syracuse and Rochester. Great smile…but probably only two good years to make money.

9) Carmelo. Blasphemy I know. Great smile, but he was only here for one year and his most marketability was after his final game as a player. The hype for him was less than Pearl and Billy who each would had better deals before arriving on campus.

10). Johnny Flynn. Had a dynamic three years, great smile and was very popular.

Other guys I considered: Leo Rautins, Rony Seikaly, Paul Harris (would have had deals coming in as a frosh), Scoop, Etan Thomas, Jason Hart, Tyus Battle, Preston Shumpert, Andy Rautins, Wes Johnson.

I did this off the top of my head and I’m sure there are others I overlooked. But these were the guys that I thought of going back to my days of watching since 1980.

Okay….here’s a fun challenge. Rank the guys you think would have made the most money relative to their era if NIL had been around. Let’s do players after 1980….and let’s do a top 10.

Here’s mine:

1) Pearl. He had three marketable years. Would have arrived with an NIL deal and would have absolutely made an insane relative amount of money. I think the gap between him and everyone else is ginormous.

2) Billy Owens. The overall #1 player who was on the cover of SI before he stepped foot on campus. Again Three full years to collect and be promoted.

3) GMAC. Probably the most popular player ever for four years. Tons of game winners and could had had NIL deals in two different cities at the same time. Imagine the fishing gear deals (lol)!

4) Moten. Great kid, great personality and the face of the team for four years essentially.

5) Hakim. Great kid. Great personality. Great smile and those dunks. Probably would have started getting deals his sophomore year.

6) Sherman. Great nickname. Great player. He was a bit shy, but I think he could have made bank. Because of the teams popularity and his

7) Coleman. Great player but his surely demeanor may have been a tough sell. But he was here for four years and would have absolutely racked up huge deals his SR year he was expected to be at the top of the draft.

8) John Wallace. Semi local kid who could have scored deals in Syracuse and Rochester. Great smile…but probably only two good years to make money.

9) Carmelo. Blasphemy I know. Great smile, but he was only here for one year and his most marketability was after his final game as a player. The hype for him was less than Pearl and Billy who each would had better deals before arriving on campus.

Other guys I considered: Leo Rautins, Rony Seikaly, Paul Harris (would have had deals coming in as a frosh), Scoop, Etan Thomas, Jason Hart, Tyus Battle, Preston Shumpert, Andy Rautins, Wes Johnson.

I did this off the top of my head and I’m sure there are others I overlooked. But these were the guys that I thought of going back to my days of watching since 1980.

No Stevie in others receiving votes?

Im 10000x more interested in hearing what Sean Tucker makes.

Very interested in what Girard and/or Mintz make if we return to tournament calibre ball next year too.
I gotta believe Joe G. is doing well with businesses in the Glens Falls area. Anybody live there who can add some insight how Joe is doing with ads/commercials in his hometown?

Last edited:

Here’s mine:

I did this off the top of my head and I’m sure there are others I overlooked. But these were the guys that I thought of going back to my days of watching since 1980
Nuts, I totally missed Flynn's third year ;)

Lol Dion Waiters was in touch with Meek Mill Before the end of his sophomore year. Aside from Pearl, he would have KILLED the NIL here compared to others between philly and cuse. Hometown hero.

Lol Dion Waiters was in touch with Meek Mill Before the end of his sophomore year. Aside from Pearl, he would have KILLED the NIL here compared to others between philly and cuse. Hometown hero.
Good call on Dion.

I think $100,000 (or $150,000 as another article said) is very good for a senior who was selling clothing, cereal, and making cameo appearances. It’s real NIL and seems like a nice piece of change.

It's a heck of a lot better graduating from college with that much money in your pocket, as opposed to that much college debt.

It's a heck of a lot better graduating from college with that much money in your pocket, as opposed to that much college debt.

Bees - $100k+ is a “nice piece of change”? :rolleyes:

In addition to that crippling student loan debt, most recent grads can’t even afford to move out on their own, because it’s really hard for them to find decent jobs.

Even worse still - are those who took on student loan debt, but never finished college.
The worst of all worlds.

99% of college grads would kill to be in Buddy’s shoes.

In addition to that crippling student loan debt, most recent grads can’t even afford to move out on their own, because it’s really hard for them to find decent jobs.

Even worse still - are those who took on student loan debt, but never finished college.
The worst of all worlds.

Yes, for real NIL it’s a nice piece of change. I didn’t say it was life altering nor that it would offset the college debt of a regular student.

The worst of all worlds.

99% of college grads didn’t work on the game of basketball like Buddy did.

Buddy earned a scholarship and earned any NIL money with skills that those with debt don’t have.

Buddy earned a scholarship and earned any NIL money with skills that those with debt don’t have.
There are a lot of lower level athletes that work every bit as hard as the hardest working D1 P5 guys. There are a lot of factors that play into marketablity. Having good genetics and being the son of a hall of fame coach can't be ignored as playing role.

He was a very hard worker but lets calm down here he had access to our facilities to practice basketball since birth. In terms of the JD guys we've had sure Andy Rautins and Brandon Triche may have had some similar advantages as well but I doubt DeJuan did.

As a fan and consumer I'm not really sure that NIL has changed all that much and its cool the players get some money.

Now on that token I'm terrified that the Big Ten and SEC are going to each expand and attempt to be bigger entities than the NCAA itself and be able to tell the NCAA to kick rocks. If they go to 20+ teams each they will each have 6 game playoffs they control and sell to the networks for a fortune and the winners of each will play each other in a Super Bowl and the NCAA will become irrelevant.

There are a lot of lower level athletes that work every bit as hard as the hardest working D1 P5 guys. There are a lot of factors that play into marketablity. Having good genetics and being the son of a hall of fame coach can't be ignored as playing role.

Agreed. Having access to resources comes into play with academic scholarships too

Point is we always see these posts about how "lucky" these kids under scholarship are to not be in debt. And Im just tired of it. "I just paid for my kid to go to school and it was this much, etc". Well, let's face the facts about your kid, or yourself, or it even applied to myself. We don't/didn't have the skills needed to get a free ride. They do. Buddy worked at it to be a D1 athlete. Wasn't free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom