Buddy looked like a dII player tonight | Syracusefan.com

Buddy looked like a dII player tonight

His shooting is direct function of his footwork. If he has time to set and square up, he’s a great, great shooter. Teams with athletic perimeter defenders don’t let him set and square up. His lower body was out of whack on a bunch of his shots tonight.

His shooting is direct function of his footwork. If he has time to set and square up, he’s a great, great shooter. Teams with athletic perimeter defenders don’t let him set and square up. His lower body was out of whack on a bunch of his shots tonight.

Even in earlier games he was rushing his footwork when not necessary. For that reason the best shooter in program history isn't going to be Buddy. This was something guys like Rautins did well even before SU.

His defense has not been good this year. He gets the occasional opportunistic steal, but he's definitely slower on his rotations this year. Could be a function of more space to cover with the line extended, but he's not helping all that much on the D end.

Even in earlier games he was rushing his footwork when not necessary. For that reason the best shooter in program history isn't going to be Buddy. This was something guys like Rautins did well even before SU.

Ehh Rautins status on this board has surpassed what his accomplishments truly were. He was great as an upperclassmen, but tbh Buddy has outproduced him to this point in their careers, but he did play with better players.

Buddy is a spot up shooter and little else. He can’t run off screens and get himself clean looks and doesn’t have the athleticism to beat his man to get open. He doesn’t rebound, defend or impact the game outside of spot up shots.

But I wouldn’t say he’s the problem. The lack of alternatives and the surrounding talent/athleticism combined with the system make his deficiencies more apparent. He could be a great 15 minute off the bench guy providing a larger impact if there were better players around him.

He looked like he belonged at Cornell with his brother tonight. If there were capable guards on the bench, he wouldn't have got as much time as he did.

He’s a better version of janulis. The question is whether or not there is more there. I tend to think no but I guess we’ll see.

Ehh Rautins status on this board has surpassed what his accomplishments truly were. He was great as an upperclassmen, but tbh Buddy has outproduced him to this point in their careers, but he did play with better players.

Couldn’t disagree more. Good player his junior year and the engine that drove a 30-win team as a senior. Absolute menace defensively. Disrupted everything up top all year. Your argument boils down to knocking rautins b/c he played behind devendorf. Not buying that at all.

I've always thought Hughes was a perfect 2/3 swing for us. I like Buddy but more as a situational role player. I don't think he's anywhere near a 30+ minutes per game guy (at least at this point).

With the current roster, I'd personally rather see a Girard/Hughes starting backcourt with some mix of Guerrier/Marek/Braswell at forward (with Hughes dropping to the 3 at times)

And yes I know this will never happen

Last edited:
He is a big part of the problem. And that’s not necessarily his fault.

he’s a program guy, not a chosen one, 30-minute a game guy.

we have one “chosen one” and a bunch of role guys. Not good enough.

The thing I wanna know is what is his +- I can’t remember the last time his guy missed a 3 on his side of the zone that he’s responsible for... he may score 15 but he also gives up a lot and that’s the bigger issue. So on nights like tonight he scores whatever and gives up a million

He’s a better version of janulis. The question is whether or not there is more there. I tend to think no but I guess we’ll see.

Janulis shot 40 percent from three for his entire career. So until Buddy eclipses that percentage, I don't see how he's a better version .

Couldn’t disagree more. Good player his junior year and the engine that drove a 30-win team as a senior. Absolute menace defensively. Disrupted everything up top all year. Your argument boils down to knocking rautins b/c he played behind devendorf. Not buying that at all.

yeah did you miss the part where I said upperclassmen? Raruins shot 32% from 3 his freshman year. Buddy was better than that. The stats don’t lie.

Janulis shot 40 percent from three for his entire career. So until Buddy eclipses that percentage, I don't see how he's a better version .
Fair point. Just meant I don’t remember janulis doing anything other than shooting a three from the wing.

yeah did you miss the part where I said upperclassmen? Raruins shot 32% from 3 his freshman year. Buddy was better than that. The stats don’t lie.
should have been clearer b/c we’re arguing different points. I was speaking of his inflated status on the board. I thought his senior year was unreal and I don’t see much point in comparing to him as a groan and Soph unless you think buddy has that kind of Projection in him.

I like buddy. Think he’ll be a solid player for four years. But I don’t think he has that upside. Right now he’s legitimately terrible defensively we’re it not for nice instincts on steals from time to time. Getting to average would be pretty impressive improvement, imo

should have been clearer b/c we’re arguing different points. I was speaking of his inflated status on the board. I thought his senior year was unreal and I don’t see much point in comparing to him as a groan and Soph unless you think buddy has that kind of Projection in him.

I like buddy. Think he’ll be a solid player for four years. But I don’t think he has that upside. Right now he’s legitimately terrible defensively we’re it not for nice instincts on steals from time to time. Getting to average would be pretty impressive improvement, imo

I initially stated to this point in their careers. People slammed Rautins too. People have short memories. The status of Rautins his increased to legendary status. At this point in his career at Syracuse he rarely saw the floor.

Buddy is a good player. He is a solid 6th 7th man. A perfect zone buster. He shouldn't be starting and wouldn't start on most power 5 teams.
At this point SU should be playing Joe at the point, Hughes at the 2, Guerrier 3, Marek 4, Sid 5.
Bench: Buddy 2 Goodine 1 Bras 3/4 Edwards 5/4

Combos i would like to see would be a big lineup of Edwards Sid Guerrier Hughes Joe.

I would also like to see Joe Hughes Guerrier Bras and Marek.

I initially stated to this point in their careers. People slammed Rautins too. People have short memories. The status of Rautins his increased to legendary status. At this point in his career at Syracuse he rarely saw the floor.

Yeah I’m one of those people inflating rautins legacy so we could debate that at some point. But I’m with you on later career vs. earlier. We’ll see with buddy but I always liked rautins. Even very early. Always had nice feel and was an exceptional passer.

Regardless, bottom line comes down to what you project. I could be wrong — and have been wrong — but o don’t see upper class man buddy being akin to upper class man rautins.

To be clear I was arguing from the best shooter perspective not production as a player. Andy's footwork as a Sr at JD was better than Buddy's now.

It's hard to compare Andy as he had more talent in front of him as an underclassman than Buddy. Buddy has produced earlier in his career but purely as a shooter if he doesn't improve his footwork I just can't see him meeting the crazy high expectation of one the best shooters here. He will be a cupcake destroyer and have some good games in the ACC but vs these more athletic pressure style defenses he is a liability.

To be clear I was arguing from the best shooter perspective not production as a player. Andy's footwork as a Sr at JD was better than Buddy's now.

It's hard to compare Andy as he had more talent in front of him as an underclassman than Buddy. Buddy has produced earlier in his career but purely as a shooter if he doesn't improve his footwork I just can't see him meeting the crazy high expectation of one the best shooters here. He will be a cupcake destroyer and have some good games in the ACC but vs these more athletic pressure style defenses he is a liability.

He shot 40 percent in the ACC last year. It’s not a crazy expectation. Rautins had one year of that and I followed both their careers at JD. From a shooting perspective stats wise he’s ahead of Rautins who has reached legend status on this board.

I guess the question is whether Buddy has anywhere near that much growth in him. Rautins may have improved more throughout the course of career than anyone aside from Rony Seikaly. He probably had a lot of instincts that he couldn't capitalize on until he matured physically. My guess is that Buddy is what he is physically and that he'll improve marginally over the course of his career. He really needs to be a spot up guy that complements a team with 2-3 stars on the floor as the same time as him. Will we recruit those guys before he graduates?

He shot 40 percent in the ACC last year. It’s not a crazy expectation. Rautins had one year of that and I followed both their careers at JD. From a shooting perspective stats wise he’s ahead of Rautins who has reached legend status on this board.

This year will be telling now that he is known to be a primary option. If he can shoot 40 pct in ACC play then that would bode well for us vs what we saw last night. I don't see it happening but I would happily be wrong. My guess is he is closer to 33 pct in ACC play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom