Build your best Syracuse team | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Build your best Syracuse team

Can we move DC back to forward where he played, versus center which he didn't?

Only his senior year, but I agree, he was a forward more than a center.

I never saw Dave Bing play but I do have a Danny Schayes autographed card.

I only saw Bing as a pro with Washington. He was really smooth; like a silent assassin.

Not enough outside shooting, IMO.

If we take each guy at their peak:
Gbinije - 91 3’s on 39%
Waiters - 41 3’s on 36%
Douglas - 39 3’s on 37%
Owens - 23 3’s on 40%
Coleman - 15 3’s on 37%

You’ve only got one pure shooter, but 5 guys who can make them including your two inside players. I think it would be enough.

Flynn
Devendorf
Wallace
Melo
Senior year Rak

100 ppg crew.

1 - GMac
2 - Gbinije
3 - CJ
4 - Melo
5 - DC

Trying my best to get a combination of good length for the zone and good shooters to surround Melo bc he will create 90% of the offense.

I wouldn’t mind swapping GMac for Andy tbh.
I'm not even worried about zone, haha. 3 out of the 4 guys on my team played primarily man and I think the other two would be fine either way. I'm thinking more about alley oops for everyone. Make it rain, General.

OK, this is fun. Here's my team. Although I think that Derrick Coleman and Billy Owens were the 2 best players to wear Orange that I ever saw, I'll take any of you on with this group of guys!

PG Sherman Douglas (4 pts)
SG Dion Waiters (1 pt)
C Etan Thomas (3 pts)
John Wallace (5 pts)
Wes Johnson (2 pts)

For my team, we have Sherman to run the point, and we've got Wes Johnson running the wing for alley-oop Monster Dunks! (tip o' the hat to Raoul Duke).

With Dion Waiters, you have an NBA talent who is outstanding getting to the rim and creating his own shot. Strong, good hands on defense, averaged a couple assists a game as the 6th man, and shot respectably from distance (36%).

Etan Thomas gives you our best shot blocker in SU history, and paired with Wes Johnson, who was great at weak side help and blocked a ton of shots in 2010 for a guy with his build, I think we would be excellent at defending the rim.

Thomas also gives us a post-up presence. He shot 60% from the floor his senior year and averaged 13.6 points on a very balanced team that had 5 guys score in double figures. He also happened to average 8.5 rebounds and 3.7 blocks per game (!!!), which was about the best in the country.

Of course, John Wallace was probably the best offensive player in America in 1996. Holy crap, was he incredible!! He average 22.2 points per game, he shot 54% from the floor for his career (4 years averaging in double figures), and his senior year, he hit 42% of his threes!

Turning back to Wesley Johnson, in his one incredible year, we went 30-5, he averaged 16.5 points to be the leading scorer on a very balanced team like Thomas' 2000 team, which had 4 guys average in double figures. Wes shot 41.5% from three and 54% from the field overall. He averaged 8.5 rebounds, 1.7 steals and 1.8 blocks per game. He was the definition of an all-around player for us. The players called him "Kobe" in practice, and he was the reason that Paul Harris was pushed out of the program. And he was an incredibly nice guy, and was a great teammate who would share the ball.

Coleman and Owens are the 2 best you ever saw yet you don’t have either of them on your team instead of Wallace?

Offense for a change! Sick of grinding out games and the slop on offense, ha.

No, I meant your team took more than 15 points to put together.

If we take each guy at their peak:
Gbinije - 91 3’s on 39%
Waiters - 41 3’s on 36%
Douglas - 39 3’s on 37%
Owens - 23 3’s on 40%
Coleman - 15 3’s on 37%

You’ve only got one pure shooter, but 5 guys who can make them including your two inside players. I think it would be enough.

Fair enough. Good come back.

Coleman and Owens are the 2 best you ever saw yet you don’t have either of them on your team instead of Wallace?

It's the way the points and his "pods" broke down. And I didn't want Coleman at Center.

It's the way the points and his "pods" broke down. And I didn't want Coleman at Center.
You can pick multiple from the same pod.
Just have at least 2 guards or 2 front court players.

You could have 3 guards and 2
Forwards just don’t go over 15.

Rosie
Carmelo
Wes
Pearl
B. Triche

Any all-time team would have would have melo, Moten and DC for sure. AO and Dion stick out as best value picks here. (Wes as honorable mention)

This is best I could come up with. These forwards would be nasty.

Owens
Wallace
AO
Dion
Sherm

3- Hakim

5- John Wallace

2 Roosevelt Bouie

1- Dion Water

4- Sherman Douglas

Rebounding; inside-outside shooting; passing including ally-oops; speed; and great zone D

3- Hakim

5- John Wallace

2 Roosevelt Bouie

1- Dion Water

4- Sherman Douglas

Rebounding; inside-outside shooting; passing including ally-oops; speed; and great zone D

Water?! How long have you worked for the University? ;)

1 - GMac
2 - Gbinije
3 - CJ
4 - Melo
5 - DC

Trying my best to get a combination of good length for the zone and good shooters to surround Melo bc he will create 90% of the offense.

I wouldn’t mind swapping GMac for Andy tbh.
I'm not even worried about zone, haha. 3 out of the 4 guys on my team played primarily man and I think the other two would be fine either way. I'm thinking more about alley oops for everyone. Make it rain, General.

David Johnson was a forward here almost exclusively.
Moten played more at forward than guard. He should be listed there.
I've sometimes wondered if Johnson would have played guard if we had found replacements for Coleman and Owens.

I think Moten's time was evenly split. Played forward freshman and sophomore year. He played guard junior and senior year with Lucious Jackson and John Wallace starting at forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom