Buss | Syracusefan.com

Buss

I always liked Buss as a player. Idk why but I did lol.

Same. I think ppl put too much stock into shooting numbers for kids that play 10 minutes every third game and maybe get one or two chances to hit a shot before being pulled. Somehow it always translated into they can't shoot consistently!!!!

BJ was always a good example, whenever he took 4 or more trees he hit a high clip. But his numbers were rarely good because of all the 0 for 1 or 0 for 2 performances.

Same. I think ppl put too much stock into shooting numbers for kids that play 10 minutes every third game and maybe get one or two chances to hit a shot before being pulled. Somehow it always translated into they can't shoot consistently!!!!

BJ was always a good example, whenever he took 4 or more trees he hit a high clip. But his numbers were rarely good because of all the 0 for 1 or 0 for 2 performances.

In games Buss took 4+ shots he shot 36% from the field, 26% from three.

He was rough man.

Re: Cooney/Patterson

I'd love to have seen their respective stats if their minutes had been reversed. I don't believe Patterson was as good a shooter, but I tend to think he'd have been passable.

In general, featured guys in SU's offense who play 35+ minutes per game are going to put up some numbers, no matter how inefficiently. And guards who get their minutes yanked around tend to struggle. I think it's very likely that Patterson could have managed to shoot at (or better than) .359/.309 with a 1.48 assist-to-turnover in 2015 if he'd been playing 37 a night not looking over his shoulder, and it'd be understandable if Cooney struggled with unpredictable minutes and quick hooks.

He was rough man.

Oddly, that's better than he shot overall in both categories. Not very good, but still.

Good to see him doing well.

We all need to keep in mind that we did/do have scholly restrictions and to look at the competition BJ/Buss/etc... are putting up these numbers against. Not saying they couldn't be contributing on this year's team, but something we all need to consider.

Or Craig Forth. Or Scoop Jardine. Or Frank Howard. Or 50 more guys.

Brandon Triche comes to mind as well.

I used to be pretty hard on Triche, not for what he brought to the team but his seemingly lack of improvement from freshman to senior. I always gave him props for his defense but what I wouldn't do for him to be on this team this year. He'd be our best backcourt player by FAR.

He was rough man.

Eh, when he got extended run, that's always my argument - give the longer leash, get better results because you can settle in a bit.

In games where he played 20 plus minutes (Sophomore year):

Averaged 7 shots per game, shot 55% from 2, and 30% from 3 point land.

In stretches where he played 10+ minutes for 4 or more straight games:

Streak 1: 55% from 2, 18% from 3 (5.5 shots per game) 3 out 6 were P5 teams.
Streak 2: 50% from 2, 15% from 3 (4.3 shots per game) All against P5 teams.
Streak 3: 64% from 2, 50% from 3 (3.3 shots per game) All against P5 teams.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom