Buyout Assistance | Syracusefan.com

Buyout Assistance

AgentOrange

ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
Since everyone in the ACC stands to make more TV $$$ from ESPN with the additions of SU and Pitt, is it realistic to think that the conference could possibly chip in as a collective to assist immediate buyouts of the two Big East schools? It seems to make sense if the numbers could work out for the 12 ACC schools to still make more $$$ in 2012 than they would have with the old TV deal. Additionally, the BE could get an immediate infusion of cash (perhaps $15-$20M), cut ties with the two lame duck schools, and move towards preventing its further deterioration.

Since everyone in the ACC stands to make more TV $$$ from ESPN with the additions of SU and Pitt, is it realistic to think that the conference could possibly chip in as a collective to assist immediate buyouts of the two Big East schools? It seems to make sense if the numbers could work out for the 12 ACC schools to still make more $$$ in 2012 than they would have with the old TV deal. Additionally, the BE could get an immediate infusion of cash (perhaps $15-$20M), cut ties with the two lame duck schools, and move towards preventing its further deterioration.

Makes sense to me if the new TV contract #s are right. Say it costs SU and Pitt a combined $15M to get out a year earlier. New TV contract results in let's say $4M per team more a year (inc. its 2 new members). From a financial standpoint, it would be in the 12 existing teams' interest to kick in. Haven't heard of this scenario in other conference realignment situations, but we are just beginning to see the direct effects of the "add 2 teams - renegotiate contact".

Swofford is tactically correct in his public statements that the ACC is happy to simply wait out the 27 months. No sense showing the other side one's deep pockets.

SU isn't going to pay 5 million dollars to the Big East it will be subtracted from what SU is typically paid by the Big East. The Big East gets about 25 million a year in NCAA tournament shares, and I believe about 3.5 million a year from football. Dividing 25 by 16 is 1.56 million plus 3.5 million = the 5 million dollar buyout. SU will not have to pony up the money instead they will get no money from the Big East office there last year in the conference.

SU isn't going to pay 5 million dollars to the Big East it will be subtracted from what SU is typically paid by the Big East. The Big East gets about 25 million a year in NCAA tournament shares, and I believe about 3.5 million a year from football. Dividing 25 by 16 is 1.56 million plus 3.5 million = the 5 million dollar buyout. SU will not have to pony up the money instead they will get no money from the Big East office there last year in the conference.

I believe one of the provisions for teams leaving the conference is they forefit their rights to accrued credits.

I believe one of the provisions for teams leaving the conference is they forefit their rights to accrued credits.
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...ay-millions-to-leave-Big-12-Conference-092110
Where in the provisions does it say leaving teams forfeit ALL their money. Teams don't forfeit all of their accrued credits just a high percentage of them. Look at the Big XII and see how they handled it I believe the Big East is very similar. Until we leave the Big East we get the money we have earned it will likely be deducted out of our buyout to the Big East, but if not then the Big East is repudiating its agreement with Pitt and Syracuse and opens up litigation which I doubt both sides want.

Until we leave the Big East we get the money we have earned it will likely be deducted out of our buyout to the Big East, but if not then the Big East is repudiating its agreement with Pitt and Syracuse and opens up litigation which I doubt both sides want.

You're right, I can't see any reason the remaining teams would want to go to court. It's not like Pitt/TCU/SU devalued a future contract worth over a billion dollars.

Look, I get why SU left. Made sense. But don't act like USF should just sit and do nothing.

You're right, I can't see any reason the remaining teams would want to go to court. It's not like Pitt/TCU/SU devalued a future contract worth over a billion dollars.

Look, I get why SU left. Made sense. But don't act like USF should just sit and do nothing.
By all means I would encourage the Big East to repudiate its contract with Syracuse and Pitt and withhold money from them. All it does is make it possible for both teams to jump to the ACC faster than the 27 month notice they are stuck with right now.

SU wasn't on the committee that rejected the ESPN deal. Notre Dame was. Maybe you should sue them.

At this point I kinda hope we have to stay for one more season, because I don't want our last conference game against Rutgers to be a loss.