Buzz Williams now higher paid then Jim Boeheim | Syracusefan.com

Buzz Williams now higher paid then Jim Boeheim

He's getting less money per year then he was at Marquette

He was a really good get for tech. Seems like he could have had a better job at a middle of the pack major.

They had to pay him a lot to entice him.

18 million over 7 years

Just doesn't seem right
It's now the problem of the taxpayers of Virginia.
Think the salary would pass if it was put to a referendum?
Bet he can get quite a place in Blacksburg for that dough.

Schools that you have drive to the middle of nowhere to reach have no chance to build strong, consistent basketball programs if they don't have an existing tradition - Penn State and Va Tech could build the best facilities in the world and they'd still be unable to compete regularly in the Big 10/ACC. Oklahoma State is the only 'rural' school that has been able to be a reseaonably consistent winner - but they also have a long standing tradition as well. Gotta figure Buzz is hoping for one deep NCAA run that gets him a payday at another school.

So either way, I doubt he's there in seven years.

Coming off such a lousy year, it must be nice to get a big raise.

You just gotta feel ol' Buzz knew the Big East was on the trash heap.

Speaking about coaches that make me crazy for not staying off the court.

Pitino, Buzz, and Dixon all in our league now. If there are 3 coaches out there that I want to punch due to their sideline antics, it's those 3. We can't get away from these guys.

Buzz is not that great of a coach. He got handed the Marquette job with 1 year of head coaching experience at New Orleans when Crean bolted. His teams have gotten worse since Crean's players have gratuated or transfered. He can't recruit and ends up having to go the JUCO route as a result. Too many good schools in the east to compete with for recruits. I see two possible outcomes, Tech fires him after 4 years or VT decides being mediocre is ok with them and signs Buzz to 10 year extension.

Buzz is not that great of a coach. He got handed the Marquette job with 1 year of head coaching experience at New Orleans when Crean bolted. His teams have gotten worse since Crean's players have gratuated or transfered. He can't recruit and ends up having to go the JUCO route as a result. Too many good schools in the east to compete with for recruits. I see two possible outcomes, Tech fires him after 4 years or VT decides being mediocre is ok with them and signs Buzz to 10 year extension.
They won the Big East last year

I really hoped to never see this guy again. I didn't watch any of their games this year, but I would imagine the rule changes hurt their football style D. Buzz is an ass clown.

Pitino, Buzz, and Dixon all in our league now. If there are 3 coaches out there that I want to punch due to their sideline antics, it's those 3. We can't get away from these guys.

Dont forget about Calhoun possibly going to BC.

Boeheim could get more if he went to another high profile school, but he isn't going anyway. You get the big raises when you jump around, happens in all professions.

Schools that you have drive to the middle of nowhere to reach have no chance to build strong, consistent basketball programs if they don't have an existing tradition - Penn State and Va Tech could build the best facilities in the world and they'd still be unable to compete regularly in the Big 10/ACC. Oklahoma State is the only 'rural' school that has been able to be a reseaonably consistent winner - but they also have a long standing tradition as well. Gotta figure Buzz is hoping for one deep NCAA run that gets him a payday at another school.

So either way, I doubt he's there in seven years.

I don't know. Tennessee and Arkansas have had good basketball programs over the years. It is harder to convince the urban talent to leave the urban setting to go there, but it is not impossible. The Penn State and Va Tech examples have more to do with their inherent preferences for football than anything else.

The fact that Va Tech is now paying this new coach more than Frank Beamer is a paradigm shift for Va Tech. Basketball has traditionally been second fiddle at Va Tech to football. This new Athletic Director obviously has different plans. It will be interesting to see if he announces new facilities plans or improvements to Cassell Coliseum. It's a dated facility at this point.

Do we know Jim Boeheim's actual salary I doubt we will ever know how much he actually makes. The Nike contract he receives compensation from, and his actual salary from the University are rarely stated. We are a private University and I am sure JB is compensated well enough that if he went in Gross's office and demanded a raise it would happen on the second. JB bleeds Orange and doesn't hold out for every last penny that is sure.
This post is another troll job one I mean congrats on continuing your streak.

You mean when Dwayne Wade left?

It's now the problem of the taxpayers of Virginia.
Think the salary would pass if it was put to a referendum?
Bet he can get quite a place in Blacksburg for that dough.

If you look at the highest paid state employee in every state, it will (almost) invariably be the head football or basketball coach of the state university there.

The highest benefits go to some corrupt quadruple-dipping faceless bureaucrat, but that is the subject of another thread.

Buzz is an ass clown.
I used to hate Buzz as much or more than anyone. His style of play. Always on the court. That dumbass dance he did at center court in Morgantown. etc. etc. etc. Then I watch his presser after we beat them to go to the Final Four last year. I was shocked. He was all class. Gave all the credit to 'Cuse and JB. Heaped praise upon the SU program. At the same time he was disappointed in himself and visibly hurting for his kids. I just can't hate him anymore after that. I'm kind of glad he's back.

He's getting less money per year then he was at Marquette

Did not know that. I would not have thought Marquette was paying him that much.

I saw an interview the other day somewhere when JB was asked about his salary being less than half of Coach K's. Did that bother him? He simply said he was happy with his situation and doesn't worry too much about such things. Would he like more? Sure, but it was not high on his bucket list.

Marquettes a pretty good job. They have a good history, beat us three years ago in the tournament, and we beat them in the east regional final last year. The writings on the wall. Good coaches want to coach in the ACC. That is where the money is.