Buzz Williams now higher paid then Jim Boeheim | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buzz Williams now higher paid then Jim Boeheim

I don't know. Tennessee and Arkansas have had good basketball programs over the years. It is harder to convince the urban talent to leave the urban setting to go there, but it is not impossible. The Penn State and Va Tech examples have more to do with their inherent preferences for football than anything else.

Haven't been to Fayetteville...but Knoxville is positively metropolitan compared to Blackburg or State College. Penn State actually thought the Bryce Jordan Center was going to launch the basketball program (and they put a HUGE effort into it), but it's more than really hard to convince kids from urban areas to go to Penn State over, say, Villanova. The university is literally surrounded by fields of corn and cows - it's impossible to get hoops talent to go there sustainably.

I'm actually struggling to come up with universities comparably in the middle of nowhere to Penn State and Va Tech...it's actually hard to come up a list. Auburn maybe? Anyway, the reality is pigs will fly and oak trees will dance before either of the schools I noted turn into legitimate basketball powers, no matter how much money or effort they put into it.

With the Bucks being terrible, Marquette has been a huge draw in Milwaukee - I was in a bar in Milwaukee for the Cuse-Miami game and got relegated to a tiny TV in the corner of the bar when the Marquette-Nova game came on. The more I'm thinking about it, this was a really weird decision by Buzz, makes me think there's more to the story than has been reported.

I don't see Buzz doing that great of a job at tech, its a tough place to win. People like to mock Greenburg, but he did a pretty good job there.

Just means we know how to spend our money a lot better than Virginia Tech does.

I used to hate Buzz as much or more than anyone. His style of play. Always on the court. That dumbass dance he did at center court in Morgantown. etc. etc. etc. Then I watch his presser after we beat them to go to the Final Four last year. I was shocked. He was all class. Gave all the credit to 'Cuse and JB. Heaped praise upon the SU program. At the same time he was disappointed in himself and visibly hurting for his kids. I just can't hate him anymore after that. I'm kind of glad he's back.

He seems like a decent and honest guy. Hardworking, too. Other than that, I don't like most of what he does.

He could be halfway successful at Virginia Tech, though. Don't they have looser admissions standards than Marquette? Seems like Buzz recruits a lot of marginal guys and might do a better job getting them onto the court.