By the end of the year | Syracusefan.com

By the end of the year

Cuse House

All American
I expect our 3 freshman to be following behind Silent G as our most productive players. I love Cooney, TR, and DC, but these three freshmen all have stat stuffing ability. I know Roberson can rebound the crap out of a basketball, but his offense still needs work away from the basket.

Overall, my biggest take away from last night was the physical play and rebounding from Malachi. Coming in from high school he had a reputation of playing soft and not getting after it. Last night I saw the complete opposite from his game and I think it will be the norm this year as he looks to be a competitor.

Howard can really get after it on defense with his length which should allow him to get his hands on balls up top in the zone. His ball handling and passing were crisp and his shot was better than I thought (I did not think he was going to be a bad shooter to begin with). I know many think he will not get enough minutes to be a big contributor but I actually think he is our best pure guard and JB will utilize his strengths.

I expect TL to grab a ton of rebounds for us this year and his offense will come alive once he is settled in and looks for his shot. In games where he has to play the 5 some, he will be able to take the opposing big man away from the basket where he can either shoot or open lanes for drives. If a team zones us, he is the perfect weapon at the free throw line.

We all know the level of competition was weak but I think most will agree from a pure eye test, these three are already our best players behind G. Unlike most, I think we will see both Howard and KJ a decent amount instead of one or the other. Howard has much greater upside for this season and the future.

It is too early to know for sure but I think this team will win somewhere between 20-23 games before tournament play. Our ability to hit the 3 ball and spread teams out should allow us to win some games against better teams. The biggest determinant in my opinion for the success of this team later in the year will be how we win games when we aren’t hitting those threes although it is hard to have 5 shooters cold on the same night. This class is compiled of complete basketball players which is something unique for freshman.

N
I expect our 3 freshman to be following behind Silent G as our most productive players. I love Cooney, TR, and DC, but these three freshmen all have stat stuffing ability. I know Roberson can rebound the crap out of a basketball, but his offense still needs work away from the basket.

Overall, my biggest take away from last night was the physical play and rebounding from Malachi. Coming in from high school he had a reputation of playing soft and not getting after it. Last night I saw the complete opposite from his game and I think it will be the norm this year as he looks to be a competitor.

Howard can really get after it on defense with his length which should allow him to get his hands on balls up top in the zone. His ball handling and passing were crisp and his shot was better than I thought (I did not think he was going to be a bad shooter to begin with). I know many think he will not get enough minutes to be a big contributor but I actually think he is our best pure guard and JB will utilize his strengths.

I expect TL to grab a ton of rebounds for us this year and his offense will come alive once he is settled in and looks for his shot. In games where he has to play the 5 some, he will be able to take the opposing big man away from the basket where he can either shoot or open lanes for drives. If a team zones us, he is the perfect weapon at the free throw line.

We all know the level of competition was weak but I think most will agree from a pure eye test, these three are already our best players behind G. Unlike most, I think we will see both Howard and KJ a decent amount instead of one or the other. Howard has much greater upside for this season and the future.

It is too early to know for sure but I think this team will win somewhere between 20-23 games before tournament play. Our ability to hit the 3 ball and spread teams out should allow us to win some games against better teams. The biggest determinant in my opinion for the success of this team later in the year will be how we win games when we aren’t hitting those threes although it is hard to have 5 shooters cold on the same night. This class is compiled of complete basketball players which is something unique for freshman.
Nicely done. Thanks.

We all know the level of competition was weak but I think most will agree from a pure eye test, these three are already our best players behind G.
I love the potential of the three freshmen and can easily envision each of them developing into stars here, but they have a long way to go. To suggest that they are already better players at this level than a solid fifth-year senior, a stud rebounding junior with a developing offensive game and a highly sought after post player who is now healthy and poised to fulfill his promise is lunacy, IMO. They may ultimately get there, but the freshmen will play supporting roles for now. If this team is to make a serious run, it will be on the backs of the four upperclassmen.

You may hate me for this but I think Malachi could show some of this. I think this guy averaged 11.0 ppg as a fresh.
Lydon will play a very BIG role as well more off the scoring charts though. We are talking about guys who will get 17plus mpg while they won't carry us I think those two contributions will be very very key could cause all our wins or losses at a equal level of our upperclassmen making the bigger plays.

I see Joseph and Howard as one player I love them pushing each other hard going into next year. Joseph seems more vocal out there. When you combine them same thing goes.

It can be your 4th 5th and 6th men that give you the win especially on balenced teams with alot of shooters.
Icewater in our veins with any of these guys hitting a late three.

Last edited:
It is too early to make much of an assessment, but chemistry, effort and a dedication to the team as a unit will take this team far if the frosh all develop within that construct (cue the Captain Obvious reference). That's why I hold optimism for this team despite a likely roller coaster ride for the first couple of months. I think the upperclassmen can provide that leadership by example. I don't think we have any primadonna types, so barring superimposed drama and injuries, I will start the season with high hopes.

You may hate me for this but I think Malachi could show some of this. I think this guy averaged 11.0 ppg as a fresh.
Lydon will play a very BIG role as well more off the scoring charts though. We are talking about guys who will get 17plus mpg while they won't carry us I think those two contributions will be very very key could cause all our wins or losses at a equal level of our upperclassmen making the bigger plays.

I see Joseph and Howard as one player I love them pushing each other hard going into next year. Joseph seems more vocal out there.
The thing I liked about Malachi was that his three three point shots in a row were all different. One was off the dribble, one was coming off a cut and the other was a catch and shoot when he was stationary, iirc. He showed it all in three straight possessions.

The thing I liked about Malachi was that his three three point shots in a row were all different. One was off the dribble, one was coming off a cut and the other was a catch and shoot when he was stationary, iirc. He showed it all in three straight possessions.
And Gbinije drained a third one from the same spot malachi hit his last two.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom