BYU, SD State thinking of BE? | Syracusefan.com

BYU, SD State thinking of BE?

They are on survival mode and pleasing boise st is need number 1.

What a joke. I'm glad we made the move to the ACC--it was necessary... but it's sad what's happening to the "Big East"

This is the best they can do. They're creating an all star team with the leftovers and the best of the rest. They kill the mountain west and deliver the death blow to the wac.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

This is the best they can do. They're creating an all star team with the leftovers and the best of the rest. They kill the mountain west and deliver the death blow to the wac.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Right, knock out the closest competition and wiggle a way to keep their aq.

Part of me believes BYU and SDSU are posturing to get the Pac 10/12/whatever the final # is to invite BYU and even SDSU. Both have decent football programs and SDSU has seen its basketball program flourish. Same with Boise. "We're going to the Big East unless someone stops us (hint hint)."

I personally don't believe Boise or BYU have any intentions of sticking around the Big East. Once they get an even slightly better offer, they are gone. They will make Kim Kardashian's marriage look like a long term relationship.

Its a matter of whats left out there and markets. If the BE is going to a East and West conference format than it makes some sense, given the limited options. Bosie recruits a lot in Cali and can get some pretty solid kids that other schools can not due to academics, or lack there of, so they are making a little push. Obviously San diego is a nice market and it also helps with the TV contract. Finally, it would be a nice draw for Navy, who would likely get the perminant cross rivalry slot with San Diego St. given the large amount of personel stationed there. Again given the options of what is out there it makes some sense. The "Big East" is just a name nothing more.

I don't blame the BE, I blame the BCS.

It's a terrible system that is forcing these obscene conference combinations.

Since AQ is everything, you do everything you can to keep it.

Yep, this is "best player available" time at the Big East member draft.

It also drives me a little crazy. The BE *only* does things in desperation. Not that I think anything they will do, or could have done, would ultimately make the conference stable. Certainly not stable to the point where any member wouldn't bolt to one of the 5 other BCS leagues. But at least they could have tried. If they're prepared to form a national football conference now, why wouldn't they do it a year ago, when it could have been bold and proactive instead of desperate and reactive?

What if when they added TCU they also added Boise State, BYU and Air Force for football? At the very least they would have gotten an even bigger media offer, and protected their BCS AQ status for years. Of course SU, Pitt & WVU still would have left if offered, but maybe maybe things go down somewhat differently if the BE was proactively making moves in the summer/fall of 2010?

Why doesn't the BE go to 14 in FB, 15 in BBall? The 7 western teams can be in an all sport conference outside of FB. That will allow them an NCAA BBall bid under the new rules.

BE West- Boise, SD St, UNLV, Air Force, BYU, NM, Fresno
BE East- UConn, RU, UL, Cincy, USF, SMU, HOU

That way the BE wouldn't be diluting the BBall by adding crappy teams. That new conference would be pretty good in BBall as well. Or even go to 16 FB/16 BBall by adding UCF to the East, and Nev or Utah St to the West.

Or simply have a FB only merger with the MWC. They have 10 schools. The BE can expand to 9 in FB by adding ECU, SMU, HOU, and UCF. So it would be a 19 team FB league and a 17 team basketball league.

Part of me believes BYU and SDSU are posturing to get the Pac 10/12/whatever the final # is to invite BYU and even SDSU. Both have decent football programs and SDSU has seen its basketball program flourish. Same with Boise. "We're going to the Big East unless someone stops us (hint hint)."

I personally don't believe Boise or BYU have any intentions of sticking around the Big East. Once they get an even slightly better offer, they are gone. They will make Kim Kardashian's marriage look like a long term relationship.

Boise and SDSU have no chance of getting in the Pac from an academic perspective. I don't think BYU would get into the Pac for political/religious reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom