Class of 2020 - C Izabel Varejão (Brazil) Grad Transfer from Michigan to Syracuse (5/23/23) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Izabel Varejão (Brazil) Grad Transfer from Michigan to Syracuse (5/23/23)

I may have missed it, but what is wrong with Varejao and any idea when she will return? The team certainly misses her size defensively, we had no resistance to the big from Carolina that planted herself in the lane all night and put in layups. Thanks for any replies!
Silence out there. No one is talking. There has not been a mention of her in the paper concerning injury or why she is out.

She got hit in the head twice in one game. The first hit resulted in a trip to the locker room where she must have passed a concussion protocol. The second hit took her out of the game, and she has not been back since. I hear she is now running a bit in practices, so hopefully soon?

Looks like she''s doing practice drills but given different top, maybe not full practice.
v.jpg

"Syracuse, N.Y. -- Syracuse center Isabel Varejao, a member of the Orange’s rotation early in the season, returned to practice for the Orange on Wednesday and is expected to be back in the SU lineup next week.

Varejao, a Michigan transfer and the niece of former NBA player Anderson Varejao, hasn’t played in a game for the Orange in nearly two months. Her last appearance came in a 20-minute outing on Dec. 4 against Northeastern."

"Syracuse, N.Y. -- Syracuse center Isabel Varejao, a member of the Orange’s rotation early in the season, returned to practice for the Orange on Wednesday and is expected to be back in the SU lineup next week.

Varejao, a Michigan transfer and the niece of former NBA player Anderson Varejao, hasn’t played in a game for the Orange in nearly two months. Her last appearance came in a 20-minute outing on Dec. 4 against Northeastern."
We need her to be healthy and strong. Our interior defense was much better when she was playing, she gives us another 5 fouls to give in the post and from the limited time she was on the floor for us, she seems to have the best post up game of all of our Bigs. She is coming back for our stretch run, and i like what I have seen from this team so far this year. Our offense has yet to really consistently click, but it is our interior defense that needs to get better in order for us to make a deep run in the NCAA's. D. Fair, needs to take this team on her back, which she can do, but scoring will really need to come from some other players besides our guards...our Bigs need to get in the scoring column...If this all comes together, we will make some noise come March! Let's Go Orange!!!!!

Still hasn’t played. With only 7 games left and having played in only 8 games this season - highly doubt an injury redshirt is available. She only averaged 18 minutes before going out injured which makes me wonder about her stamina after her injury.

Still hasn’t played. With only 7 games left and having played in only 8 games this season - highly doubt an injury redshirt is available. She only averaged 18 minutes before going out injured which makes me wonder about her stamina after her injury.
Can't really be in game shape, no matter what she has been able to do in workouts.

She is 6-4 and if she does nothing else,,but represent 5 more fouls in the Post, she helps us...
I agree with that, just hope she doesn't end up getting hurt again. Basketball is secondary to health.

She is 6-4 and if she does nothing else,,but represent 5 more fouls in the Post, she helps us...
To me at least, foul trouble for our bigs - Latham (6’2”) and Woods (6’3”), surprisingly hasn’t been a huge issue. I just worry that they need breaks to be more efficient and get help on defense, getting In position for some easy buckets, running the court etc. They maybe pacing themselves. Alyssa being just a freshman, logging so many minutes in so many games, she maybe wearing down some. She isn’t the same level impact player she was earlier in the season, - her scoring, shooting %, rebounding has decreased in the past month’s games. It can be a difficult transition to go from high school to the more games in the college schedule. Varajao could help both our bigs giving them more rest and giving us more blocks on the defensive end which she was doing earlier in the season with her greater height. Of course that’s only if she’s healthy again.

This is great news! Remember hearing that she still had another year to use if she wanted it during that ‘Cuse x Arizona NCCAT game and was wondering if she was going to. I really like her, her game, her attitude. Always smiling, in high spirits even when she was out with the injury and hyping everyone up. She’s unselfish, sometimes a little too unselfish for my liking lol.

Hoping she has a dominant 6th year and FLJ can get her, Woolley, and Latham some players to play with from the portal.

Awesome news!!! Here's hoping she can stay healthy! I saw her play live at NC State, her best game of the year and she gave NC State's big post player all that she could handle..I think she had 14 points. If she stays healthy, she can be a difference maker.