C. J. | Syracusefan.com

C. J.

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
Tonight I had the chance to re-watch the SU/Wis. game that one of you nice posters mailed me. (Wow! What a game! My heart was in my throat because I was pretty sure we were going to lose this time!) At any rate, I didn't remember what a fantastic game C. J. had, and then I remembered that he faded dramatically the last quarter of the season. Was there ever an explanation? Theories? An undisclosed injury? Girlfriend problems? Wisdom tooth? Just one of those things?

It was exciting to see how well our players played, even Keita! And although the summer is not yet over, I confess I am beginning to feel the stirrings I have valiantly suppressed since April, the pulsing drumbeat of "Bring it on. Bring it on. Bring it on..."

I think with so many scoring options it's hard to get everyone theirs. Dion was our best player so he got his shots; Scoop and KrisJo got theirs as the senior leaders; then the emergence of Southerland took some shots away. Can't forget Triche who got plenty of PT and shots.

I think with so many scoring options it's hard to get everyone theirs. Dion was our best player so he got his shots; Scoop and KrisJo got theirs as the senior leaders; then the emergence of Southerland took some shots away. Can't forget Triche who got plenty of PT and shots.

this is a good point.. only so many balls to go around, i think cj can be a serviceable "3" and hopefully grow into being a better all around player like kjo.. would like to see him get stronger around the basket as well as develop some semblance of a right hand. i love rak but i think dc2 dirty cj brandon and mcw will be our most potent lineup.

But his playing seemed to go backward! He wasn't hitting his mid-range shots. He wasn't hitting anything. It was quite the worrisome conundrum. He seemed to lose his zip. The Wisconsin game showed me what we had been missing. At any rate, I have the feeling that he will be in top form this year. I hope.

this is a good point.. only so many balls to go around, i think cj can be a serviceable "3" and hopefully grow into being a better all around player like kjo.. would like to see him get stronger around the basket as well as develop some semblance of a right hand. i love rak but i think dc2 dirty cj brandon and mcw will be our most potent lineup.

Serviceable? It wouldn't surprise me if CJ was our top scorer and one of the top two rebounders this year.

I think it is called the sophomore slump. I think the defense's started paying him some attention and he forced his game. He will have to work on getting himself open and then his shots will fall. If the offense sets him some picks next year he will score.

Any reports on him or any of the other players improving throughout the summer?

But his playing seemed to go backward! He wasn't hitting his mid-range shots. He wasn't hitting anything. It was quite the worrisome conundrum. He seemed to lose his zip. The Wisconsin game showed me what we had been missing. At any rate, I have the feeling that he will be in top form this year. I hope.

Gotta agree with this.
There was a stretch where CJ just wasn't the same player, and in fact, he even had to answer questions about a possible injury.

The key to runs & success in the Dance is consistency- every player has to "show up" in the big games.
JSouth had to hit his 2-3 treys, DW had to get his 15-20, KJ had to show leadership and score, BMK had to bring the D, Scoop had to play smart & dish, and CJ had to be the glue-guy/swiss-army-knife he'd been all year.
Miss one key element or one guy doesn't "show up", a la Otis Hill in the 96 NC game, and you go home with a loss.

I know there was one (maybe 2?) illnesses he got hit pretty hard with toward the end of the season, definitely during the BET...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom