Class of 2016 - C Omer Yurtseven (Turkey) Transfer from NC State to Georgetown | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 C Omer Yurtseven (Turkey) Transfer from NC State to Georgetown

This should be open shut. Omer needs to prove he didn't spend any of that money. If he can't or the bank records are crappy then he shouldn't play. I'd be shocked if he plays.

The NCAA is horrid the way it plays with young men's lives like this.

The NCAA probably doesn't want to mess with a North Carolina state school. The state legislature will come after them. After all, this is the legislature that voted to change sea level.

For asking for eligibility? The NCAA must be really pissed at UNC.

A guy's either eligible or he's not, I figured. I can't see how he can partially eligible for being a "pro".

This is what I don't get as well. If he spent the money in the account then he was paid to play and thus ineligible. If he didn't then he should be eligible. I would think it has to be one or the other not some arbitrary number of games he has to sit out.

This is what I don't get as well. If he spent the money in the account then he was paid to play and thus ineligible. If he didn't then he should be eligible. I would think it has to be one or the other not some arbitrary number of games he has to sit out.

Classic "split the baby in half" type of ruling.

He was paid, but probably didn't spend the money. He shouldn't get unilaterally cleared, but also shouldn't be blocked from being an amateur. So...

Classic "split the baby in half" type of ruling.

He was paid, but probably didn't spend the money. He shouldn't get unilaterally cleared, but also shouldn't be blocked from being an amateur. So...

"Probaby didn't spend the money" = Got someone to give him the money so he could pay it back.

"Probaby didn't spend the money" = Got someone to give him the money so he could pay it back.

No, I believe the club put his money in an account that the player didn't access. So he got paid by a professional organization, but since he didn't spend any of it, he claims it shouldn't count against his amateur status.

Not defending Yurtseven, but that's the thrust of his argument.

No, I believe the club put his money in an account that the player didn't access. So he got paid by a professional organization, but since he didn't spend any of it, he claims it shouldn't count against his amateur status.

OK. In the past with respect to other recruitments, I recall stuff along these lines - the kid paid back the value of the extra benefit (plane ticket, meals while on an unofficial visit, etc.) Thought it was one of those.

OK. In the past with respect to other recruitments, I recall stuff along these lines - the kid paid back the value of the extra benefit (plane ticket, meals while on an unofficial visit, etc.) Thought it was one of those.

Yeah, it's very convoluted. Hence, the fence sitting NCAA ruling. :noidea:

Father (NCAA): Go ahead Omer.
Omer: Here is the bag of M&M's I took, I'm sorry.
Shop Owner: (Looking at the father) But he took a whole box of M&M's and two Twix.
Father (NCAA): (Looks at Omer with a wink) Well, we only found the one bag of M&M's, and we believe our boy.

If that is what happened, then that's cool.

In that situation I don't see why he should sit out any games. If he never used the money and it went back to the club then whats the harm. I was under the impression that he used some of the money, not that I've been following it closely.

If that is what happened, then that's cool.

So, these Euro clubs view the players as assets. Not only was Yurtseven desirable because he was an NBA caliber big with good skills who could help their team win, but also because when he eventually goes to the NBA, the club would have to be reimbursed millions of dollars for Yurtseven to be bought out of his contract.

So despite Yurtseven saying that he wanted to play collegiate ball, it was in the interest of the club to pay him to remove that option and secure him as a long-term asset. The kid [apparently] wasn't necessarily on board with signing and didn't spend the money, which pissed the club off. And they were doubly pissed because they invested time in the kid, only to lose him without any compensation.

Again, I'm not defending Yurtseven, but that's the way the relevant facts appeared when we were recruiting him over the summer. That he got paid by a professional club that he was affiliated with would be a disqualifier--and justifiably so--under most circumstances. That he didn't want to be paid and ostensibly didn't spend it is what gives him the out.

I guess one question would be did Omer set up the account in which these funds were deposited, or did the team set one up unilaterally. If he signed papers to set up an account then a transaction of funds occurred and funds were accepted whether he spent it or not. If the organization set money aside with out his consent and he didn't access the funds then I cant see how he could be ruled ineligible. JMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom