Class of 2014 - C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse

If we are appealing the penalties they don't start next year right? So, if the NCAA decided 3 schollys for 4 years was to drastic and it was really 2 schollys for 3 years why couldn't we add a guy now? The chilling effect of these penalties are more drastic than they should be because the NCAA won't give partial credit.

If we are appealing the penalties they don't start next year right? So, if the NCAA decided 3 schollys for 4 years was to drastic and it was really 2 schollys for 3 years why couldn't we add a guy now? The chilling effect of these penalties are more drastic than they should be because the NCAA won't give partial credit.

Correct so we risk losing credit for the 2 leftover this year by adding another player. Plus its a player that has to sit out this year so no immediate impact.

Is he a highly rated player? Is he someone who would contribute immediately in '16 Fter sitting a year, or is he more a project type? Plus if he comes on board I would have to imagine the staff would show oko the writings on the wall.

I'm curious if his commitment would require us to push our sanctions back a year, or if he doesn't count as a scholarship because he has to sit out a year.

I was under the impression that he would have to sit out a year. Is this not the case? Or is it the fact that he is a very good player and we will take him even with the sanctions and him sitting out a year.

I was under the impression that he would have to sit out a year. Is this not the case? Or is it the fact that he is a very good player and we will take him even with the sanctions and him sitting out a year.

He would have to sit out a year, but my worry is he would still count towards our scholarship numbers and would make it 11 scholarship players this year, which would force us to push our sanctions back.

I think at this point we need to evaluate all avenues for improving our roster. Chukwu is pretty interesting because he seems like such a great fit defensively.

You can't just walk down to the nearest street corner and find a 7' 2" center to play the middle of the zone. Looks like Robert Parish.

Is he a highly rated player? Is he someone who would contribute immediately in '16 Fter sitting a year, or is he more a project type? Plus if he comes on board I would have to imagine the staff would show oko the writings on the wall.
Was a 4 star.

I think this recruitment clearly shows the staff does not have faith in chino developing as they had hoped. With limited scholarships available there is little room for error here, this kid needs to be a safe bet given the lack of depth and issues we have at the center position. That said I'm always a fan of kids sitting out a year to develop, if the staff likes him bring him in

I think this recruitment clearly shows the staff does not have faith in chino developing as they had hoped. With limited scholarships available there is little room for error here, this kid needs to be a safe bet given the lack of depth and issues we have at the center position. That said I'm always a fan of kids sitting out a year to develop, if the staff likes him bring him in
Disagree.
I don't think one thing necessarily has anything to do with the other.
Chukwu was highly recruited, fits our scheme, and has 3 years eligibility left.
Oko just finished his freshman/soph year, and will be a senior next year when/if Chukwu comes aboard.
It behooves the staff to put out feelers and throw their hat into the Paschal ring, with Chino's future status having little or nothing to do with it.
Recruiting Chukwu is not a referendum on Oko, its simply the smart move. JMHO

Chukwu's defensive prowess would be perfect for the middle of the zone. I would push the sanctions back for him and if we got even 1 scholly back on appeal which honestly we should have a chance to do it wouldn't effect us.

Getting to 11 schollys per year has to be one of the objectives of the appeal.

I trust the staff's opinion on this. But, they must see or know something that Chukwu has not shown yet at the college level.

Paschal averaged less than 10 minutes a game for Providence last year. He averaged less than 3 points and 3 rebounds per game. He blocked 23 shots over 335 minutes on the season. Providence did start a 7 foot Sr. at center last season, but he didn't really put up a lot of numbers. To me, Paschal has project stamped on his forehead. Then again, you can't teach 7-2 and he could be devastating in the zone.

Disagree.
I don't think one thing necessarily has anything to do with the other.
Chukwu was highly recruited, fits our scheme, and has 3 years eligibility left.
Oko just finished his freshman/soph year, and will be a senior next year when/if Chukwu comes aboard.
It behooves the staff to put out feelers and throw their hat into the Paschal ring, with Chino's future status having little or nothing to do with it.
Recruiting Chukwu is not a referendum on Oko, its simply the smart move. JMHO

We can agree to disagree, which there's nothing wrong with. Just don't see how they would sell him on playing time if he's going to be behind Colman and chino after sitting out a year. Not much time in the rotation initially. Something doesn't add up especially with our limited scholarship situation

This makes it look more and more like Chino was offered in order to get Bryant. Sorry, but after 2 years, that's how it looks. If Chino has a future here, this is the year for him to show it, because this is the most wide-open our center spot has been since the days of Billy Celuck and Jeremy McNeil.