Class of 2014 - C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse

I trust the staff's opinion on this. But, they must see or know something that Chukwu has not shown yet at the college level.

Paschal averaged less than 10 minutes a game for Providence last year. He averaged less than 3 points and 3 rebounds per game. He blocked 23 shots over 335 minutes on the season. Providence did start a 7 foot Sr. at center last season, but he didn't really put up a lot of numbers. To me, Paschal has project stamped on his forehead. Then again, you can't teach 7-2 and he could be devastating in the zone.
I don't think a school like Kansas would be after him, too, if he was a reach project.

I don't think a school like Kansas would be after him, too, if he was a reach project.

Maybe not. But, Kansas can afford to use a scholarship on a 7' 2" project.

I trust the staff's opinion on this. But, they must see or know something that Chukwu has not shown yet at the college level.

Paschal averaged less than 10 minutes a game for Providence last year. He averaged less than 3 points and 3 rebounds per game. He blocked 23 shots over 335 minutes on the season. Providence did start a 7 foot Sr. at center last season, but he didn't really put up a lot of numbers. To me, Paschal has project stamped on his forehead. Then again, you can't teach 7-2 and he could be devastating in the zone.
Fab melo was like that.

Fab melo was like that.

I had to look it up, point well taken, Fab's stats were eerily similar. He was also a McD's AA and the BE preseason rookie of the year. He did not enter as a project. I think there might have been other things holding Fab back besides developing talent.

I would do ANYTHING to have an eligible junior year Fab Melo on any Syracuse team of the last 50 years. He would prob make at least half of them final 4 contenders.

More than half! As a junior!

Last edited:
I had to look it up, point well taken, Fab's stats were eerily similar. He was also a McD's AA and the BE preseason rookie of the year. He did not enter as a project. I think there might have been other things holding Fab back besides developing talent.
Perhaps. But after his freshman year he was every bit a project. His breakout was insane. Now look, his high end was greater thank chukwu, but I'm just saying frosh stats may be deceiving.

I remember another 7 freshman footer on Syracuse who put up similar numbers on a per minute basis... He has a championship ring. :p

Now, we all know Forth had a little bit of help, but his skill set was as follows:

- Be 7 feet tall
- Set good screens
- Avoid foul trouble

If Chukwu can be 7 foot tall and learn to set some decent screens, he's all we need.

I remember another 7 freshman footer on Syracuse who put up similar numbers on a per minute basis... He has a championship ring. :p

Now, we all know Forth had a little bit of help, but his skill set was as follows:

- Be 7 feet tall
- Set good screens
- Avoid foul trouble

If Chukwu can be 7 foot tall and learn to set some decent screens, he's all we need.
That would be all we need if we could also bring back Melo to play along side of him.

We have just 1 open 'ship in the 2106 class and we have a shot at Kobi Simmons or Gilbert. So is the staff giving up that possibility for this big guy?

We have just 1 open 'ship in the 2106 class and we have a shot at Kobi Simmons or Gilbert. So is the staff giving up that possibility for this big guy?

we will have at least 3 open scholarships. more than likely 4.

How? I'm not counting on getting any justice from the NCAA on appeal.

Odds are pretty good that somebody surprises us this year and will declare for draft (Roberson if I was to guess) or somebody decides to transfer after this year (Obokoh?). That could put us at as many as 4 scholarships available and we could theoretically get Chukwu, Moyer, and 1-2 other recruits for '16. When you also consider the possibility of the NCAA giving us back a scholly, I would be surprised if we don't see at least 3 scholarships open for next year.

Odds are pretty good that somebody surprises us this year and will declare for draft (Roberson if I was to guess) or somebody decides to transfer after this year (Obokoh?). That could put us at as many as 4 scholarships available and we could theoretically get Chukwu, Moyer, and 1-2 other recruits for '16. When you also consider the possibility of the NCAA giving us back a scholly, I would be surprised if we don't see at least 3 scholarships open for next year.
Roberson has no business leaving early. He's an undersized PF with an absolutely ugly jumper. The NBA isn't looking for those types.

The only one I could see leaving early is Lydon.

Roberson has no business leaving early. He's an undersized PF with an absolutely ugly jumper. The NBA isn't looking for those types.

I'd give a nut for Lydon to be OAD.

Not that I'd want him to go after a season, but I want him to be that good.

To that I say a lot can change in a year. Look at Christmas, who before this year was undersized for his position with an ugly offensive game too. Regardless, someone will most likely leave this team between this year and next and we will have another scholarship opened.

Jasoncuse said:
Roberson has no business leaving early. He's an undersized PF with an absolutely ugly jumper. The NBA isn't looking for those types. The only one I could see leaving early is Lydon.

Not a chance.

He'll be good in time, but he's not OAD.

Edited to add: I'm not making predictions about anyone specifically.

Every year people say that there's no way so and so would go early ... heck even in March people are posting that so and so has no reason to declare for the draft.

And every season, kids leave for the NBA.

I trust that the staff has a fairly decent handle on who will blow up and leave or who won't and leave. If they're planning on offering someone, I trust they know they'll have a scholarship for him.

What if he has his degree? Does he have your consent to leave college then?

I agree with those saying we'll have room. People always forget that you don't have to be a good prospect to leave for the NBA. You don't even have to be a good prospect to be drafted in the NBA. Roberson, for example, even with incremental improvement will be as good of a move to the draft as many recent ones we've seen.

I can easily see DC2 moving on after this year, especially if he has his degree.

i thought gbinije was as good as gone glad he returns we NEED him and he has potential to be top 3 if not acc player of the year this year.